Taco or Fajita?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dhilsabeck

Re: Taco or Fajita?

Post by dhilsabeck » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:57 pm

Anyone else have some mexican food for their first meal after reading this thread?

Myself, I had a Mexican/oriental hybrid, in honor of page three.

A taco loco flour tortilla (burrito sized) very, very lightly browned and filled with shredded pork shoulder (i keep a stash in the freezer), medium cheddar cheese, cock sauce (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sriracha), Mae Ploy sweet chili sauce and sour cream. All washed down with a glass of pulpy orange juice. It was good.

doc holiday

Post by doc holiday » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:17 pm

dhilsabeck wrote:Anyone else have some mexican food for their first meal after reading this thread?

you need to drop what you are doing, drive up to anchoragua and grab a gordita at taco king!!

wow, you just made me realize how long it has been since i had some taco king :cry:

dhilsabeck

Post by dhilsabeck » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:32 pm

doc holiday wrote:
dhilsabeck wrote:Anyone else have some mexican food for their first meal after reading this thread?

you need to drop what you are doing, drive up to anchoragua and grab a gordita at taco king!!

wow, you just made me realize how long it has been since i had some taco king :cry:

I will take you up on that recommendation good sir. I am driving up to Los Anchorage in two days and will be there just in time for dinner (I also plan on making my pilgrimage to the Soldotna Taco Bell on the way). Then it's on to Austin where the portions of guacamole are generous. :D

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:28 am

isn't what your looking for called a double decker taco bell?

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e37/G ... r_Taco.png

doc holiday

Post by doc holiday » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:59 am

dhilsabeck wrote:
doc holiday wrote:

I will take you up on that recommendation good sir. I am driving up to Los Anchorage in two days and will be there just in time for dinner (I also plan on making my pilgrimage to the Soldotna Taco Bell on the way). Then it's on to Austin where the portions of guacamole are generous. :D

dang, and while your at hit up bear tooth for a fair weather IPA and some blacked chicken (sub tofu) tacos.

dhilsabeck

Post by dhilsabeck » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:50 am

doc holiday wrote: dang, and while your at hit up bear tooth for a fair weather IPA and some blacked chicken (sub tofu) tacos.
I haven't eaten at the Bear's Tooth, but when we go to the Moose's Tooth I usually get the fair weather. Good stuff. You missing Alaska yet?

hangar17

Post by hangar17 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:33 am

evernaut wrote:
roti kirai with chicken/lamb curry
load it up roll it up dip it up
:mrgreen:
I lived in Wellington, NZ for a few years and there's some really great Malaysian food there. The roti chanai (esp. from KK's on Courtney Place- costs about 4 NZ$...which means it's practically free) is the ultimate fast food... a culinary masterpiece.

Those rotis in the pic do look even more like crepes than the ones I'm used to seeing though...very lacy :)

And it's the sweetness of the roti that works so well with the hot and fragrant, coconut curry sauce...

they use it like a wrap eg sometimes putting cuts of meat+sauce, shredded cheese etc
it even has turned out as a dessert with ice-cream
I fell down the musical stairs at the science museum.
It went like : C F# B D Ab A#5 E D B A THUD!

we are airfields
this is hangar 17

bolleh

Post by bolleh » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:49 am

This thread makes me hungry for mexican food...

I worked in a mexican restaurant as a chef a few years back and it was a delight. Being able to make your own dinner there was fantastic.

Burrito's, taco's, self made tortilla chips and fajita's...hmmm

Makes me laugh thinking about it, we had a dishwasher with a big mouth and lots of jokes. So he had to be put back on his place. So I made a nice cheese-burrito for him, but I put alot of chilipowder in the center of it.

The edges had nothing so he was enjoying his dinner, until he got to the middle. After a few bites of that he ran screaming towards the postmix-soda machine and stuck his head under it :lol:

Tip for those who have friends that are chefs, dont make too much jokes about them because you'll never be able to enjoy his food without thinking if he did something like this to you ;)

Wasabi inside a deep-fried snack is a great laugh aswell :twisted:

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:53 am

Nick the Zombie wrote:
mikemc wrote:Burritos offer a solution.

There is always the tostada, if you are looking for a flat place to balance things, but it can be prone to the inopportune fracture as well.

Another approach: the flauta, where you *dip the flauta into* the various guac, sour cream, salsa, etc.
love me some flautas

*DROOL*

8O
Now THATS what I'm talking about, dips...mmmmmmmmmmm.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:01 am

nuxnamon wrote:isn't what your looking for called a double decker taco bell?

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e37/G ... r_Taco.png

8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

I need one of those right now!!!

That is the answer, the daddy!

OK, OK I am all for the authenticity angle but sometimes i just want the fake, lets dump the shizz in a taco hard shell and munch. Now this Taco Bell thing you got going on in the states we dont have here in the UK, but I am liking it. I am liking it aLOT..

And hey, quit hijacking my thread with your Indian curry craziness, lets stick to the tex mex!!!

More pictures of burritos and that like!

here's a tasty looking taco and the stunned look on 'Daves' face says it's goooooood.

Green Lemon

Post by Green Lemon » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:01 am

Tone Deft wrote:
Green Lemon wrote:Falafel is the Old World's answer to the taco.

Ok look, seriously:

A fajita is grilled meat with grilled onions and peppers, and some pico de gallo (I mean salsa).

A taco is 2 soft corn tortillas with some (generally stewed) meat and salsa. (That's it. Maybe cheeze. Those trucks that park down in the Mission or on East 14th on Oakland. Yes.)

A burrito is everything wrapped in a flour tortilla.

Then there are the hard shell tacos...I am not sure of their provenance, but I am pretty sure that they are not so much the real deal as they are a popularization of American fast food. (Not that there aren't good ones out there- but the point is that you should NOT imagine a hard shell first thing when somebody says "TACO").
how far the mighty have fallen. I can't endorse your oversimplification of how to make a proper taco or burrito. come back home, the taqerias miss you.
I grew up in Cali, I've lived in Texas. Now I am confined to the outer confines of the burrito sphere, another continent, its awful. El Faralito, I salute you.
it's still there, waiting for you.

there are many falafel places that sell shwarmas at the same price as burritos. they don't do shwarmas but Kan Zaman on the Haight has been a favorite for literally 20 years. the meat mediterranean plate and a glass of warm spice wine, heaven. too bad I gave up tobacco or I'd add a hookah for desert.
So what's your definition pal? Careful, its a slippery slope.

I know Kan Zaman. I am getting home as fast as I can but this recession is making things difficult.
--
first 1k as chrysalis33rpm.

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:01 pm

Oh My christ I have to go and buy mexican food right now. only 30 minutes to my lunch break and it's killing me already.

fwiw I like a chimichanga - easier to eat on the move without dropping burrito all over your shoes!
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

doc holiday

Post by doc holiday » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:33 pm

dhilsabeck wrote:
doc holiday wrote: dang, and while your at hit up bear tooth for a fair weather IPA and some blacked chicken (sub tofu) tacos.
I haven't eaten at the Bear's Tooth, but when we go to the Moose's Tooth I usually get the fair weather. Good stuff. You missing Alaska yet?

you're missing out on bear tooth.. don't go the the grill, but the cafe inside the theatre. different menus, the cafe rocks!!

dhilsabeck wrote:You missing Alaska yet?
yes and no, it was a bad snow year this winter so that makes it easier. the thing about AK is life just starts rolling by and nothing changes.. it's a good thing and a bad thing at the same time.. i realized i would wake up 50 and it would seem like tomorrow.

that and my wife wanted to be closer to her family, and she has a lot of family down here.

jamester

Post by jamester » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:41 pm

What time is it?

Purrrfect Audio PC by Jim Roseberry
Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
REAPER, Live, Sound Forge

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:38 pm

jamester wrote:What time is it?

My god...if only the UK would wake up to the true possibilities of fast food!

Why is there no fast taco outlet in rural Sussex?