"step through" MIDI w/ one key?...anybody??

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
gort

Post by gort » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:34 am

playin around with the midi learn, cant seem to get it to stick to 1 note.. hmm. not sure what i'm doing wrong. im trying to isolate step playback to a single note (the one i specify with "learn"), so other notes played on that channel dont play the step sequence. is that not what it's intended for? if not, any ideas how i could achieve that>?

im trying to step through that sequence with one note/key on right hand and play normally with left. right now every note is stepping through the sequence.
hi-q hits and handclaps not holywars and hand grenades

gort

Post by gort » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:45 am

oh wait, i see the function of the MIDI learn now. i was trying to do something other that what it was intended for. oops. i suppose to do what i want, i need each step's sound to be triggered by the same note #. so, other notes arent attached. having trouble gettting my head around this one.

being in the same midi channel but keeping the note ranges for the step sequence and the other notes i want to "play" separate seems to be something to consider

gort

Post by gort » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:11 am

ok, a "scale" midi effect in the tap sequencer track with the note i want to "play" the sequence with isolated seems to be doing the trick (if anyone is following what i've been blabberin about!). then, i just put another midi track in with the same controller added to it (and the note i'm playing the sequence with muted)

thanks again bjorn!

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:53 am

Hey Gort,

Sorry, I lost track of this topic. Been busy with AMS files and some other stuff.

I'll eventually optimize this pluggo. It's really my first one and I'm still learning all the tricks.

I'll look into that MIDI learn problem. I'm pretty sure I had to working.
Probably missed a wire or something.

I'll upload a new version later and perhaps a windows version if i can catch a fellow max user behind a pc.

Cheers

- B

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:06 pm

Just had to change a 0 to a 1... Literally :lol:

Please try this new build. First check the button next to MIDI learn. Then the note of the chosen number will be changed to whatever note you're playing.

- Click here to download Tap Sequencer Beta 6

gort

Post by gort » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:53 pm

oh cool! i lost track of it too, thanks B! i'll try it out this week

gort

Post by gort » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:28 pm

tried it again bjorn, seems to be working fine for it's intention. very useful!

BUT! its still not doing the precise function that i'm looking for. in your plugin, note #s are assigned to samples and ALL the keys on the assigned MIDI controller will play that programmed sequence. (step through the note numbers using all keys/pads on that controller).

what i am after is being able to assigng a group of samples to only ONE note number, therefor allowing the other keys/pads to play their assigned samples while the ONE programmed (with midi learn) note number steps through the sequence.

see the difference? im not sure if it's possible to do this. to reiterate my intention.. i want to have a kit set up on v-drums and step through the sequence assigned in your plugin with say.. my ride cymbal, while the other drum pads are still playing their own assinged samples.

has something like this been done with simpler racks? stepping down the samples loaded in the rack? hmm...

thanks!

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:58 pm

hoffman2k wrote:
polemans wrote:mr hoffman, done some quick tests using my powerbook qwerty keys and its phenomenal... exactly what i've been looking for! can't wait to test it out with my full drums/pad setup... thanks.
any chance of implementing a midi note learn for each sequenced note instance? whereby it would be possible to 'play in a melody' instead of using the mouse to choose each note? would glady pay for developement of this anyone else?
here goes another 5 years...
I'll see what I can do. No promises though. I'm extremely busy with some other Covert Operators projects.

Thanks for the feedback :)

Cheers

- Bjorn
Man, this is just what I am looking for also! Remember the "music box" thread? :-P

Please windows also! Id gladly pay!

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:18 pm

I'll try to have the windows version up this week.
Just a matter of getting a hold of Machinate ;)

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:26 pm

gort wrote:tried it again bjorn, seems to be working fine for it's intention. very useful!

BUT! its still not doing the precise function that i'm looking for. in your plugin, note #s are assigned to samples and ALL the keys on the assigned MIDI controller will play that programmed sequence. (step through the note numbers using all keys/pads on that controller).

what i am after is being able to assigng a group of samples to only ONE note number, therefor allowing the other keys/pads to play their assigned samples while the ONE programmed (with midi learn) note number steps through the sequence.

see the difference? im not sure if it's possible to do this. to reiterate my intention.. i want to have a kit set up on v-drums and step through the sequence assigned in your plugin with say.. my ride cymbal, while the other drum pads are still playing their own assinged samples.

has something like this been done with simpler racks? stepping down the samples loaded in the rack? hmm...

thanks!
Its very simple to filter the single note:

- Make a rack with 3 chains

- chain 1 = the pluggo

- chain 2 = empty

- chain 3 = empty

- With the key zones, set the note you want to use on the pluggo on chain 1

- Chain 2 and 3 are for passing thru the other notes

For example, if you use C3...
Chain 1 would be C3 - C3
Chain 2 would be C-2 - B2
Chain 3 would be C#3 - G8

- B
Last edited by hoffman2k on Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gort

Post by gort » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:46 pm

great! thanks bjorn 8)

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:18 pm

hoffman2k wrote:I'll try to have the windows version up this week.
Just a matter of getting a hold of Machinate ;)
I KISS YOU!!!

www.ikissyou.org/ :D

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:04 pm

Sorry for the delay. I posted the pc version in another thread :oops:

Give this one a spin http://users.telenet.be/Vayner/Tap%20Se ... .6.dll.zip

I wasn't able to test it so any feedback is welcome.

Requirements: Pluggo or the free "Pluggo Runtime".

zingaro

Post by zingaro » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:08 am

Hey hoffman2k

seems to work fine the PC Version with Pluggo runtime 3.54 too! By now tested it only with PC keyboard but as soon as i'm back home test it with my equippement (M-Audio Audiophile, LIVE 6.0.7, Alesis USB PAD and /or Roland V-Drum) thanx a lot! :D

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:40 am

Glad to hear it. Its my first public pluggo.

Cheers

- Bjorn