Do you Twitter?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
innerstatejt
Posts: 213
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:43 pm
Location: Riverside / Los Angeles
Contact:

Re: Do you Twitter?

Post by innerstatejt » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:53 am

Twitter rocks actually... both entertaining and educational (if you follow smart people).

http://www.twitter.com/AbletonVids

Jason
Image

nq
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:47 am
Location: Cologne
Contact:

Re: Do you Twitter?

Post by nq » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:06 am

it's www.twitter.com/nq_music

it's basically ramblingsabout software and weird findings.
and pointless bullshit

naph
Posts: 257
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:38 pm

Re: Do you Twitter?

Post by naph » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:19 am

fuck guys, you got me into this shit.

reading this thread on the ablegod forum made me feel i want one for myself.

so i'll wast even more time.. great

twitter.com/naphh

synnack
Posts: 2053
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:55 pm
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: Do you Twitter?

Post by synnack » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:44 am

http://www.twitter.com/synnack

I hated the idea of twitter at the start like many people. However one day I realized just why this is so amazing.

It has completely replaced RSS feeds.

Think about it this way... you can't expect fans (or potential ones) to remember, and visit your web site to see if you've posted anything new. This makes traditional .com web sites less than ideal as a way to promote your music.

So with RSS feeds... the updates are brought to them but... I have found only a fraction of internet users understand or use RSS feeds.

So then twitter... With twitter, you can send one message, that is automatically delivered to anyone remotely interested.

This is marketing gold. If you can get your fans (or potential ones) to follow you on twitter, it will drive a ton of activity to your music since it does not rely on those people having to remember to seek you out... that happens automatically as a twit.

That's what I believe is the power of twitter so I only use it to update on music related stuff. For personal stuff I stick to Facebook where there are more privacy controls and photosharing stuffs.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

Image

synnack
Posts: 2053
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:55 pm
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: Do you Twitter?

Post by synnack » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:51 am

Nick the Zombie wrote:I love Twitter, it's been a fantastic way to keep in contact with other businesses as well as my customer-base.

http://www.twitter.com/NicksTutorials
URL not found?
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

Image

necho
Posts: 995
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:39 pm
Location: (y)UK

Re: Do you Twitter?

Post by necho » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:59 am

I personally think all this social networking bullsh*t (Twitter, Facebook etc) is a cancer eating away at the soul of humanity.

21st century "bread and circuses" designed to pacify people, keep them in doors thinking they're communicating when they're just moving further apart.

Its ego-driven individualism masquerading as "community". "How many 'friends' do I have?" "How many 'FOLLOWERS' do I have?". Replacing real social connections with a social simulation, creating a massive centralized hub for all human "interaction", so it can be quantified, categorized and analyzed, homogenizing and neutering human knowledge.

"But what about the vital role social networking played in the Iranian uprising?" you ask.... give me a break - for every concerned global citizen there were 10,000 isolated, socially dysfunctional teenagers "communicating" about ringtones in semi-literate text-speak. People still died, the uprising was crushed and Twitter pulled of a PR coup.

Me - I'm a complete hypocrite, of course. I work as an Online Marketing Manager for a digital start-up company. And I'm typing this into a forum.... :roll:
_________
sigs suck.

Angstrom
Posts: 14668
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:22 pm
Contact:

Re: Do you Twitter?

Post by Angstrom » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:28 pm

necho wrote: Its ego-driven individualism masquerading as "community". "How many 'friends' do I have?" "How many 'FOLLOWERS' do I have?". Replacing real social connections with a social simulation, creating a massive centralized hub for all human "interaction", so it can be quantified, categorized and analyzed, homogenizing and neutering human knowledge.

"But what about the vital role social networking played in the Iranian uprising?" you ask.... give me a break - for every concerned global citizen there were 10,000 isolated, socially dysfunctional teenagers "communicating" about ringtones in semi-literate text-speak. People still died, the uprising was crushed and Twitter pulled of a PR coup.

Me - I'm a complete hypocrite, of course. I work as an Online Marketing Manager for a digital start-up company. And I'm typing this into a forum.... :roll:
OMFG
marketing manager FAIL

ok, I'll school ya on why you are completely wrong.

Myspace benefits
Using this I was contaced by some people I used to tour with it was great to hear from them again.
my old label manager got in touch and he remembered some money he owed me, and sorted out a possible re release of some old stuff. I found/was contacted by a load of bands and musicians who were actually quite good, surprisingly so. I mentioned a few of these to my actual real world friends and they were very grateful to hear these hidden gems.

Upshot: myspace was quite good for music, and (social) music business

Facebook benefits
was contacted by people who I haven't seen for 15 years or so, complete with photos of our scene. Then I could put them in touch with others who they had lost touch with, and share my own photos. I also got to find out exactly what it is that some of my friends do without having to ask "what IS your band called again". I also now know when everyone's birthday is and when their gigs are.
Being on facebook has drawn a lot of my more removed friends closer, when we meet at parties I don't have to struggle to remember if they have kids/wife/crack habit and can engage in a decent conversation.

Upshot: facebook supports my real social life

twatter
I use it as a 'microblog/rss' I only subscribe to people who include some information content in their posts. %40 information is fine. EG my feed curerntly tells me: Google Wave is going semi-public on september 30th(thanks Andreas), saw some .htaccess tricks from SmashingMag, Stephen Fry just did a Ted talk.
Even the seemingly innocuous posts or self-hyping ones include some information. NQ_music's bcr just died, a reminder that it can and does happen. Charlie Brooker reminded me that his TV show was on last night, it's not often that a program maker reminds me 'personally'
upshot : Twitter delivers me information in bite sized chunks on topics I am interested in


I always laugh at the 'big media' articles which portray myspace/facebook/twitter as a pointless race to a vast 'friend' total. The people writing these articles seem to take the worst-case scenario and use it as a brush to tar the whole enterprise.
Imagine other topics covered this same way: 'Food' is pointless and self-serving, I have seen fat people, they eat too much food. I think People only want to get fat by ingesting million calories. Food is pointless



I really despair for your clients though, you are meant to understand the benefits of this digital media stuff.
I suggest taking up wood carving, or perhaps make earthenware pots

8O
Posts: 5502
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:29 am
Location: Berlin

Re: Do you Twitter?

Post by 8O » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:03 pm

+1 What Angtrom said. Mostly it adds to, rather than replaces, "real-life" social interaction.
Image

necho
Posts: 995
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:39 pm
Location: (y)UK

Re: Do you Twitter?

Post by necho » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:10 pm

Angstrom wrote:
necho wrote: Its ego-driven individualism masquerading as "community". "How many 'friends' do I have?" "How many 'FOLLOWERS' do I have?". Replacing real social connections with a social simulation, creating a massive centralized hub for all human "interaction", so it can be quantified, categorized and analyzed, homogenizing and neutering human knowledge.

"But what about the vital role social networking played in the Iranian uprising?" you ask.... give me a break - for every concerned global citizen there were 10,000 isolated, socially dysfunctional teenagers "communicating" about ringtones in semi-literate text-speak. People still died, the uprising was crushed and Twitter pulled of a PR coup.

Me - I'm a complete hypocrite, of course. I work as an Online Marketing Manager for a digital start-up company. And I'm typing this into a forum.... :roll:
OMFG
marketing manager FAIL

ok, I'll school ya on why you are completely wrong.

Myspace benefits
Using this I was contaced by some people I used to tour with it was great to hear from them again.
my old label manager got in touch and he remembered some money he owed me, and sorted out a possible re release of some old stuff. I found/was contacted by a load of bands and musicians who were actually quite good, surprisingly so. I mentioned a few of these to my actual real world friends and they were very grateful to hear these hidden gems.

Upshot: myspace was quite good for music, and (social) music business

Facebook benefits
was contacted by people who I haven't seen for 15 years or so, complete with photos of our scene. Then I could put them in touch with others who they had lost touch with, and share my own photos. I also got to find out exactly what it is that some of my friends do without having to ask "what IS your band called again". I also now know when everyone's birthday is and when their gigs are.
Being on facebook has drawn a lot of my more removed friends closer, when we meet at parties I don't have to struggle to remember if they have kids/wife/crack habit and can engage in a decent conversation.

Upshot: facebook supports my real social life

twatter
I use it as a 'microblog/rss' I only subscribe to people who include some information content in their posts. %40 information is fine. EG my feed curerntly tells me: Google Wave is going semi-public on september 30th(thanks Andreas), saw some .htaccess tricks from SmashingMag, Stephen Fry just did a Ted talk.
Even the seemingly innocuous posts or self-hyping ones include some information. NQ_music's bcr just died, a reminder that it can and does happen. Charlie Brooker reminded me that his TV show was on last night, it's not often that a program maker reminds me 'personally'
upshot : Twitter delivers me information in bite sized chunks on topics I am interested in


I always laugh at the 'big media' articles which portray myspace/facebook/twitter as a pointless race to a vast 'friend' total. The people writing these articles seem to take the worst-case scenario and use it as a brush to tar the whole enterprise.
Imagine other topics covered this same way: 'Food' is pointless and self-serving, I have seen fat people, they eat too much food. I think People only want to get fat by ingesting million calories. Food is pointless



I really despair for your clients though, you are meant to understand the benefits of this digital media stuff.
I suggest taking up wood carving, or perhaps make earthenware pots

hahahahahahaha - really touched a nerve there, didn't I!!!

I do it to get paid. I do it well. And it pays well. And I only work 4 days a week. So I have more time for music.

Believe me - when I talk about the benefits of online marketing, clients truly think I believe what I'm saying. I have no problem with pretending to be a web 2.0 freak to earn my crust.

Hyper-sensitive digi-tard FAIL!!!!
Last edited by necho on Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_________
sigs suck.

redok
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:54 pm
Location: Slovenia

Re: Do you Twitter?

Post by redok » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:14 pm

I use ping.fm to update my Facebook, Myspace and Twitter profile at once. 8)

Angstrom
Posts: 14668
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:22 pm
Contact:

Re: Do you Twitter?

Post by Angstrom » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:15 pm

necho wrote:

hahahahahahaha - really touched a nerve there, didn't I!!!

I do it to get paid. I do it well. And it pays well. And I only work 4 days a week. So I have more time for music.

Hyper-sensitive digi-tard FAIL!!!!
touched a nerve?

er, no - it just made me laugh at the irony: like a mechanic saying "I can't see the point of engines" or a chef who despises pans.
you really ought to be able to see the point of your own tools, otherwise how can you advise people?

BTW your rather weak attempt at one-upmanship after saying how bad you are at your job? Not so hot.
Most people on this forum have very similar jobs to you and work in very similar conditions. Feel free to brag though, especially if you can include more youtube-comment-style ad hominems.
Last edited by Angstrom on Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

necho
Posts: 995
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:39 pm
Location: (y)UK

Re: Do you Twitter?

Post by necho » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:17 pm

Angstrom wrote:
necho wrote:

hahahahahahaha - really touched a nerve there, didn't I!!!

I do it to get paid. I do it well. And it pays well. And I only work 4 days a week. So I have more time for music.

Hyper-sensitive digi-tard FAIL!!!!
touched a nerve?

er, no - it just made me laugh at the irony: like a mechanic saying "I can't see the point of engines" or a chef who despises pans.
you really ought to be able to see the point of your own tools, otherwise how can you advise people?

BTW your rather weak attempt at one-upmanship after saying how bad you are at your job? Not so hot.
Most people on this forum have very similar jobs to you and work in very similar conditions.
What's wrong with irony? Are you American? You don't know me, you know nothing about me, you take the internet too seriously - You make me laugh.

kthanxbai
_________
sigs suck.

synnack
Posts: 2053
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:55 pm
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: Do you Twitter?

Post by synnack » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:37 pm

redok wrote:I use ping.fm to update my Facebook, Myspace and Twitter profile at once. 8)
I would do that IF it supported Facebook updated to band pages, instead of personal profiles. Supposed to be a feature coming.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

Image

redok
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:54 pm
Location: Slovenia

Re: Do you Twitter?

Post by redok » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:39 pm

tempus3r wrote:
redok wrote:I use ping.fm to update my Facebook, Myspace and Twitter profile at once. 8)
I would do that IF it supported Facebook updated to band pages, instead of personal profiles. Supposed to be a feature coming.
I do hope that it`s comming. But anyway it`s a great way to update my pages.

glbrtsoms
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:25 pm

Re: Do you Twitter?

Post by glbrtsoms » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:53 pm

rbro wrote:I have to admit I thought it was kind of a waste of time at first, but I've been doing it for a little over a week now. Since then, I've added almost 1000 followers, have been selling copies of my album and have been contacted by several radio stations. Very much worth your marketing efforts I believe. Follow me at http://www.twitter.com/atomicskunk. :mrgreen:
Its seems that the twitter help you a lot in your business.. :) Great job..

Post Reply