Anyone try the Native Instruments Audio Kontrol 1 Interface?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
swiffy

Anyone try the Native Instruments Audio Kontrol 1 Interface?

Post by swiffy » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:22 pm

Just wondering if anyone's tried the audio kontrol 1 interface? What do you think about it? Thanks...

kuniklo

Re: Anyone try the Native Instruments Audio Kontrol 1 Interface?

Post by kuniklo » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:26 pm

I have one. Works fine. I don't use the midi control features though.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:34 pm

fantastic! I use an RME for my desktop, but when I'm performing with my lappie or doing mobile recording, this thing is excellent!!

No walwart or external power, so make sure your USB2.0 port has lots of power. But for me, on my Dell Latitude D630, there are no issues (except that I have to turn off the wireless internet when running audio), but that's an issue with my laptop, not with the audio card.

Did a Chlorophyll recording session with Cat last night using nothing but the lappie, Audio Kontrol, and a mic. The Audio Kontrol supplied the 48v phantom power, and the signal was super clean. Monitoring was done in the box, and the latency was barely noticeable. Great great audio card, built like a tank!

Warning, no 64-bit drivers. Otherwise, HIGHLY recommended.

kuniklo

Post by kuniklo » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:37 pm

nebulae wrote: Warning, no 64-bit drivers. Otherwise, HIGHLY recommended.
NI finally released 64 bit drivers in January.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:50 pm

well, I stand corrected! Thanks for that update. So now I have absolutely ZERO reservations about recommending this unit!

SolutionG

Post by SolutionG » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:56 pm

Let me put it this way: if I were to lose or destroy my AK1 (which is difficult to do because it's built so well), I would grab another one as soon as I could. The midi capabilities are actually pretty nice, especially if you're using it for scrubbing and transport control. Sound quality is what some would call "tits." Get one.
Live 7 + Sampler + Operator + Drum Machines | NI Audio Kontrol 1 | nanoKONTROL

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:41 pm

I use one on occasion (as is to be expected; I'm the AK 1 forum moderator). It works well.

My favorite AK 1 story;

About a month ago, a friend of mine was doing a set at the Spark Festival. Five hours before he was supposed to go on, his computer died a messy death.

He borrowed a laptop from somebody and rebuilt his set from the ground up. I got there fifteen minutes before he was supposed to go on and brought my AK 1. I installed the drivers and did some minor configuring in his host- five minutes max. The show went on, and sounded great.

ew