Report from NAMM

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
ryst

Report from NAMM

Post by ryst » Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:48 pm

I went to the NAMM show. The M-audio guys were demoing the new features of LIVE 4. I really must say that I thought I have seen everything. Damn was I wrong! There were demos and clinics on remixing, writing, live performance, midi, editing....it was amazing. It's one thing to use these features and get some things done but to see pros use it and demonstrate the power of Live 4 is so inspirational. I came away with a much better feeling of using DP for surround mixing only and using LIVE 4 for everything else! I was completely blown away. Some of the stuff they were doing was sick. I didn't realize just how deep the new features were. I also got to meet some very cool Ableton and M-audio people and they were so kind. Anyone who has doubts about Live 4 should have seen this! I can't wait to go to the California NAMM!

anti-banausic

Post by anti-banausic » Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:01 am

Very cool...Very.

I am going to the Sam Ash opening here in NYC on Wednesday, and then going to hear Steve Stoll play (if there is any room)...I am pretty psyched to hear what these guys can do with LIVE4, especially after your report.

Ahhhh, now the wait.
Macbook c2d 2.0, 2G RAM, 160G HD 5400 RPM, OSX(10.5.5), XP Home, LIVE6, BCR 2000, UC33e, Yamaha P-200, Logic Studio, KRK V6 II

Jomdom

Post by Jomdom » Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:06 am

I want details! What sort of cool things were they doing?!
"No one cares, no one sympathizes; you just stay home and play synthesizers."
- Flight of the Conchords

ryst

Post by ryst » Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:25 pm

Details? Well let's see.. There was a demo showing the basic recording functions of Live 4. Recording acoustic guitar, vox, and keys and then editing and trying new things in real-time. There was a demo that showed the remix abilities and follow actions of Live 4. This was very cool! Chad from M-Audio remixed a song with vox from Busta-Rymes, Britney, and Susan Vega. He was triggering midi loops and using th follow actions. It was so inspiring. Then their were presentaions of the new features at separate mini booths so you could ask questions. To be able to ask questions to the people who use the program and know the ins and outs of it was awesome. I got a personal tutorial on the follow actions and other things. It was so inspiring. I couldn't wait to get home and try and remember everything. I still see people here say that they aren't sure if they want to upgrade and that Live 4 isn't much different than Live 3 for "live" performance. These statements seem a bit ignorant to me. But then again I never used Live as a live performance tool. So I am not sure, but to see some demos of live performance with the new features, I would say that it greatly enhances what you can do!