[OT] I wish I'd brought my MPC with me this morning!

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
serge_a_storms

Re: [OT] I wish I'd brought my MPC with me this morning!

Post by serge_a_storms » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:32 am

Yeah, man! Back on the pony! I kinda went a bit deeper with the MPC - I thought "I hand-program most of my stuff in Live, why can't I do it on the 500". Am getting a bit of a flow down for step editing, and then I can go back over the sampler & effects sections.

As for sampling myself, I haven't done it yet. I've been meaning to set up some mics and record the kit for a while, but I never get a chance! The only time I get in the studio with the acoustic kit is at a proper band practice *sob* As soon as I've got some material that's useable, I'll share the love!

Peace.
That was the thing for me. Once you understand the sequencer in the 500, you find there is so much more intricate stuff you can do with it. I'm still getting to grips with using it myself but the more I use it, the more rewarding it gets.

I might post the latest thing I've done on the 500 if anyone's interested? It's very rough (not a finished product by any means), but it's all made using the MPC (+ a sampled 808 kit), Novation A station and a Korg ER 1. No computer at all. I made all the synth sounds, perc sounds and sequenced everything in the ER1 (kind of as a challenge to myself). I haven't got my head around the EQ and Dynamics in the 500 yet so I'm struggling to get everything to 'fit' but I'm getting there.

Recording your own drum loops and chopping them up would be great! If you wanna share them as well then even better!

:-)
MacBook Pro i7 16gb RAM, OSX 10.11.2, Live 9.7

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Instagram

laurence

Post by laurence » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:39 am

logic_user99 wrote:I, too, wish I had my MPC with me. I'm right in the mood for chopping up some sounds... I still need to sample the photocopiers at work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is-HVxmUELQ 8)
I have no pets but enjoy drawing pictures of insects and sending them to people

serge_a_storms

Post by serge_a_storms » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:45 am

laurence wrote:
logic_user99 wrote:I, too, wish I had my MPC with me. I'm right in the mood for chopping up some sounds... I still need to sample the photocopiers at work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is-HVxmUELQ 8)
That's brilliant!
MacBook Pro i7 16gb RAM, OSX 10.11.2, Live 9.7

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Instagram

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:00 am

logic_user99 wrote:
starving student wrote: no problem i'm not in front of the mp right now though I'll be back in a few hours.
Word.

[high five]
i haven't forgot about you man I just got home and i'm dead tired but I'll hit this thread up tomorrow or should I say later on today (its 4am) peace

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:58 pm

starving student wrote: i haven't forgot about you man I just got home and i'm dead tired but I'll hit this thread up tomorrow or should I say later on today (its 4am) peace
Hey! Fret not, sunshine. Get some sleeps; they're important (apparently - science man says so!).
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

starving student

Post by starving student » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:12 am

alrighty .

ok for mute groups
1. go to program mode and select the pad that you want to set a mute group for.
2.scroll to mute group
3. touch each pad you want to put in a group and select a number for each pad, the same number
4. also select the mute group to on for each pad
and thats basicly it, the thing is that you want to have a pad that is blank and set it to the same mute group as the other pads so that when you hit this pad it cuts off the other pads but it doesn't make any sound because there is no sample loaded on the pad.

it's also a good idea to make sure that you keep the mute groups within a single program.
it's also good to set the program to mono unless you need otherwise.

the other work around is just to go into your sequences and tracks and erase the sequence data where you don't need it.

and another way is to just use a blank pad in a program set to mono since each pad press cuts out anything else in mono anyway so it's kind of like mute groups in a way, cool thing about mute groups and the blank pad/mono program setup is that you can quantize your mutes to whatever you want just like regular hits with the timing correction and shifting parameters and record them. right now the mpc-1000 has a recordable mutes feature but you cannot quantize them so this should work for the 1000 as well.

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:29 am

starving student wrote:alrighty .

ok for mute groups
1. go to program mode and select the pad that you want to set a mute group for.
2.scroll to mute group
3. touch each pad you want to put in a group and select a number for each pad, the same number
4. also select the mute group to on for each pad
and thats basicly it, the thing is that you want to have a pad that is blank and set it to the same mute group as the other pads so that when you hit this pad it cuts off the other pads but it doesn't make any sound because there is no sample loaded on the pad.

it's also a good idea to make sure that you keep the mute groups within a single program.
it's also good to set the program to mono unless you need otherwise.

the other work around is just to go into your sequences and tracks and erase the sequence data where you don't need it.

and another way is to just use a blank pad in a program set to mono since each pad press cuts out anything else in mono anyway so it's kind of like mute groups in a way, cool thing about mute groups and the blank pad/mono program setup is that you can quantize your mutes to whatever you want just like regular hits with the timing correction and shifting parameters and record them. right now the mpc-1000 has a recordable mutes feature but you cannot quantize them so this should work for the 1000 as well.
I've just learned more than one thing with that post. 1) How to record mutes and 2) that mute groups are not exclusive to each program. So, mute group 1 will mute EVERYTHING that is assigned to it, not just the program that's operational.

Thanks, dude!

Still not brought my sampler with me. D'oh. I was listening to a tasty compilation 12" last night and heard a whole bundle of nice instrument stabs and breaks that are going to end up in a track at some point later tonight...!
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

Darwinist

Post by Darwinist » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:14 pm

Wouldn't something like the battery powered Roland SP-404 complement an MPC based at home nicely for stuff like this? It has an onboard mic, basic sequencing abilities, and tons of FX...

Sample, slice and create on the go with a relatively small, light device, then re-sample it into the MPC when you get home...

Should fit in your gym bag alongside your other stuff.

I´ve been on the verge of buying a 404 for a long time now for just that purpose, to get out of the bedroom since my setup is a tower PC and not a laptop.

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:21 pm

This thread was the nail in the coffin on a very long wait for me. Just won an auction for a lightly used black MPC-1000. Looking forward to loading up JJOS on this thing and doing some glitchy field recording beats :lol:

starving student

Post by starving student » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:19 pm

okay some good news :) and :( some bad news, I usualy work on the 1000 as my timing is pretty good when it comes to recordable mutes but i've been delving into the 500 today and what I've found is that the mute groups won't work in the desired way unless what you're muting is like a long sample triggered from a pad reason being that the pad you're using for doing the mute will only mute the last triggered pad so if you've got a kick snare and a hat playing and the kick was the last to be triggered before you hit the blank pad then the kick is what will be muted but the others will go through, not the end of the world by any means but still sucks I guess until the upgrade the best thing is still to just erase that sequence data where needed.

now for the good news I'm not into glitched out music yet but I just might get into some as setting up everything in a program to the same mute group and then assigning some blank pads in the same program to the same mute group turns out to be a great way to create glitched out patterns and it works really well so if that is your thang then go to town and bring back a loaf of bread please.

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:02 pm

@Nick - good times, dude! I'm looking forward to hearing what you come up with.

@SS - na'er mind, chap. If the thing is good for pads, then that's cool.

I had a further play tonight; sampled from some wax I had lying around. It was pretty "whack" (is that right? Whack?) to be honest, but it proved that the machine works, and my editing skills aren't quite so bad! Got a nice little piano sequence going from a Yusef Lateef track I had on a compilation; no quite DJ shadow, but we try...

Ahaha.
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:04 pm

logic_user99 wrote:It was pretty "whack" (is that right? Whack?)
oh-oh... first comes the whack, then comes the grillz...
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:17 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
logic_user99 wrote:It was pretty "whack" (is that right? Whack?)
oh-oh... first comes the whack, then comes the grillz...
Sorry, sorry! I've been hanging around on mpc-forums.com for TOO long. Considering that those guys are meant to be 'mpc crazy', they seem to know shit-all about their gear, and kind of music other than beat-driven hip-hop.

*sigh*

Back to the real world! Did someone post a link up to some stuff they'd on their 500? I'm interested to hear what other people are doing with their MPC. :oops: 8)
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

rutgermuller

Post by rutgermuller » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:41 pm

logic_user99 wrote:
serge_a_storms wrote:
That's kind of what I had in mind. Record the lifts that kind of thing.
Damn right. There is a certain kind of rhythmic satisfaction that can only be brought about by listening to a photocopier.

God bless the battery-powered sampler!
Mistabishi - Printer Jam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is-HVxmUELQ