Ableton DJ..?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
robin

Post by robin » Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:13 pm

one way in macosx to have multiple .asd files for a single clip is this

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11328

(it's a script that uses a command line trick)

Gmix

Re: Ableton DJ..?

Post by Gmix » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:05 pm

Talk about resurrecting a thread... Here we are 10 years later, anyone have a real solution for having multiple BROWSEABLE .asd files for the same audio file?

Keyword I think is "browseable", Ideally outside of Live's own search features or clip browsing panel on the left side. I used to work around this by consolidating my "loop points" (sub-cue .asd files, or cue points as they have been previously described on this thread) into separate .aif files in order to be able to assign id3 tags in iTunes (artist, album, etc.) that I used to tag my files with bpm info, key, genre etc. This was a perfectly functional workaround back in my DJ days, but the main bummer for me using this method was in order to preserve the already poor audio quality of the typical .mp3 song I was starting with, I had to bounce or "consolidate" all these extra clips as .aif files which after about 1,000 songs added up to a pretty hefty chunk of my HD. But to have the ability to organize, search by tags and drag and drop from iTunes, that was a worthy sacrifice.

However, 10 years later, SSDs aren't getting much cheaper and with all these new features and especially Max For Live, I'm sure there must be a better solution. Apparently, Robin has a script for making multiple .asd files, and hopefully he reads this so we can try to resurrect the link he posted, but assuming that there is a way to create these .asd's then my next question would be how can we apply metadata tags (something like id3, though even those are not ideal because even Max/MSP has trouble accessing that information and viewing it intuitively... ex: jit.qt.movie can't even access the BPM category!!! what's the meaning of that?) and view them in a free-floating browser which we can set up with a neat GUI giving us the maximum clip info with minimal screen real-estate.

Sorry I've been out of the Ableton game for so long and I didn't post this 10 years ago, but hopefully this is still a burning desire among a growing percentage of Live users!!! I'm not even playing the DJ game anymore, but this would still be an immensely powerful tool for all users if we could come together and build a powerful clip browser.

Gmix

Re: Ableton DJ..?

Post by Gmix » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:52 pm

How about programs like RE3 (windows only?) and Mixed in Key, can those handle organizing .alc files and not just audio files?

I still haven't figured out how to generate or "export" multiple .alc files from a single clip but I guess it's possible... will dig around some more today for a tutorial.