Session Drums - some more detailed information

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
trommelmeister

Session Drums - some more detailed information

Post by trommelmeister » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:15 pm

Hello,

I would like to share some information with you all which I received from the friendly Ableton support team. This information was interesting for me, so maybe it is also interesting for you.

I am currently thinking about buying Session Drums and connect my Roland TD-20 to it to get some fresh sounds. Also, recording my drumming would be easier if I can just record MIDI instead of the audio direct from the TD-20. Since the information about Session Drums is not too detailed, I have sent the following email to the Ableton support:
1. On your website you mention "Meticulously multisampled in a variety of velocities and articulations.". Does this mean that - besides having several samples for several velocities - there are also several samples for the same velocity? Would such samples be played in (for example) a round-robin system to provide even more realistic sounding of the drumming?

2. How are the hihats handled in detail in session drums? Again, on your website, you mention "Features MIDI control of the hi hat pedal—perfect for controlling with a mod wheel or pedal—allowing dynamic playing of the width of the open hi hat." Does this mean that I only have to assign the TD-20's hihat controller to some object in session drums, and then the different hihat samples in the range from closed to open would be played? That would be quite easy and fair enough.

3. Again, about the hihats in session drums: How many samples are provided to cover all the states from closed to open? Are there just two states (so one for closed and one for open), or are there more which would allow a nicer transition from closed to open?
And here is what I received from the support team:
1. Yes, Session Drums is using a Round Robin to have multiple hits for a single velocity. However, for performance reason, some of the lower velocity hits do not always have alternate hits.

2. The Live Sampler that is used for Session Drums supports Drum foot controller (CC #5) to blend between open and close Hihat. Ideally you shouldn't even have to assign the foot controller, it should work out of the box, if your Hihat foot controller is sending CC #5.

Comment from me: Actually, it should be CC4 instead CC5. I have received another mail later in which a reference to the Live manual was provided. Check out section 22.9.4 - there it is clearly explained that it is CC4.

3. There are multiple states (I think about 5-7), each of them with the full velocity range. Additionally, the different open-states are crossfaded for an even smoother transition.
As I said, I just felt like sharing this (at least for me) useful and otherwise not really available information with you. I am going to give Session Drums a try. (No, I am not in any way related to Ableton - I am just a happy customer :-))

Please feel free to add some more information about Session Drums. Maybe we can compile in the end some FAQ or something like this.

-trommelmeister