Is Vista finally stable yet?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
foogermooger

Is Vista finally stable yet?

Post by foogermooger » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:41 pm

So is Vista finally completely stable and recomended yet or am i still rocking with XP. Cannot be bothered with issues getting things to run. Life is toooooo short :D

SuperBassMexican

Re: Is Vista finally stable yet?

Post by SuperBassMexican » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:00 pm

Vista is gone.
apple macbook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB 250GB, Presonus Firebox, Live 7 SWEET , Micron , LV2 , Padkontrol , Oxygen 8 , Korg Er-1 MK II , Juno 106 , Kaoss 3, Mackie 802

http://www.myspace.com/destroy281

foogermooger

Post by foogermooger » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:17 pm

SuperBassMexican wrote:Vista is gone.
Gone where?

To the shop for a pint of milk? For Toilet Roll?

Gone Fishing?

Gone to the movies?

Gone for a walk?

:roll:

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:50 pm

i've never really had problems with Vista unless it was something that i did to tweak the system. that being said, you might as well just wait for windows 7 if you're going to upgrade from xp. windows 7 looks very promising by final release to be a great OS for a DAW with none of the bloat vista currently has.

laurence

Post by laurence » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:14 am

No.
I have no pets but enjoy drawing pictures of insects and sending them to people

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:22 am

If you are still running XP, wait for Windows 7 and let it bed in for at least 6 months so that drivers will start to be available for your audio and MIDI devices and the early bugs are worked out before switching.

Vista, by and large, has proven difficult to tweak for a DAW o/s, has suffered from poor or non existent driver development and has a higher inherent system latency, which can be adjusted somewhat if you mess around forever deleting services and non essential programs and drivers, but I have not seen any Vista system running a lower system latency than win XP, checks with DPC latency tool by many users have also testified to this. Having said this, some systems have been suitable for Vista, and some programs offer better support for it than others.

For example, if you have 64 bit audio drivers and plugins, SOnar 7 and 8 PE run really good on Vista if you have managed to tweak the settings and allowed you to benefit from all that extra addressable RAM for disk streaming with less CPU load and less need to restrict voices etc. Then again, Sonar started planning 64 bit operation on Sonar 5PE, and they have worked more closely than anyone else with Microsoft, still basing their system onatively on Microsoft's DX audio system (although native VST support also included without a wrapper from SOnar 7 onwards). Reaper is another 64 bit program that works great if you could get all your drivers and tweaks done.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.