running live sets form a second hard drive..bad idea?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
lafours

running live sets form a second hard drive..bad idea?

Post by lafours » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:41 am

I have an extra hard drive in my pc and whenever I run live sets off of it my performance meter jumps through the roof..

If I move the files back to my main hard drive all is well..I tried this with a 7200 rpm internal sata and an external firewire drive and the results are the same...

Is it best to run live sets from the main disc only?

Imaulle

Re: running live sets form a second hard drive..bad idea?

Post by Imaulle » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:57 am

all of my projects are save/ran from a 2nd hard drive in case of system crash.. I've never experienced anything like what you say. runs the same as it would if it were on my C:\

john doe by choice

Re: running live sets form a second hard drive..bad idea?

Post by john doe by choice » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:21 am

I'd say that the issue with performance is directly related to your peripheral ports - it's pretty typical that people store audio/video on external or separate drives. You'll be better off with google for a better explanation (or someone may come along and explain it better than me right here, who knows), but accessing audio/video files on that are on the system drive where you are running the program accessing those files is not usually recommended, and will usually result in overworking/overheating your drive.

Post your computer specs, as well as the model of external drive you're using, that will help us help you.