DJs: How much of a tune do you play?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
doc holiday

Re: DJs: How much of a tune do you play?

Post by doc holiday » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:52 pm

I play the entire song, but i mix 90+% of it. If it's 8 min long, I mix 3-5 min of the 1st half and 3-5 minuets of the 2nd half.

who knows if i have two long ones i might let the mix run 7 minuets and bang out the next track fast.

mix long!

trevorc

Post by trevorc » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:33 pm

as long as the flow is working for your genre it doesn't matter how much of a tune you use, all of it or just a short loop. i tend to get about 17-18 tunes into an hour, the majority are full tunes layered over each other but i'll also take short pieces of a tune i like and layer it in if it adds to the atmosphere. i've started editing stuff lately, i'm getting picky about stuff i don't like - irritating vocals and naff breakdowns are out... so i guess i'm not so respectful that i won't mess with the tune, but respectful enough if i'm playing it anyway 8)

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:48 pm

True story: My friend was so high once he spun the same 2 songs back and forth for about 30 minutes before he realized he was doing it. Luckily the crowd was so high that they didn't notice either, or at least nobody mentioned it to him.

I've been in that zone before where the decks and mixer look like you're looking through a fisheye lense and the crowd looks like they are 100 feet away even though it's only about 5 feet. At this point you are either having the time of your life or about to puke.

drush

Post by drush » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:00 pm

Silverfish wrote: Part of me thinks if a track is worthwhile and the producer wanted it to be 8 minutes, then play the whole thing, as the producer intended.

I dunno, just curious I guess.
if you're doing this you may has well not be there at all. create a playlist, turn on crossfade playback in itunes, hit play, go home. or stream it from your bedroom. why even get up?

this question is so far from what a DJ is it makes me sad.

TRS80

Post by TRS80 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:10 pm

One time long ago, I was fed some bad X, which had lots of speed in it. While I was spinning, every song was pitched up as far as the 1200s would allow. One of the tracks was 'unspeakable joy' (razor n guido remix). I was sweating so much I had to lay on the booth floor in between mixing with a damp wash cloth on my head. I seriously thought I might die.

great crowd and a banging night. maybe they were on the same shit. i swore off drugs after that.

as to the thread here, if you're gonna play a song, play it. mix hard out of it if they aren't feeling it, but if they are grooving, don't fuck with them too much.

house mixes mostly have minute intro and outro for cueing purposes. you aren't supposed to play it raw from start to finish. those long ins and outs are to help the dj mix. any dj that plays tunes like that start to finish is the most boring ass on the planet.
Ableton Suite 8.2.2 suite; OS 10.6.7

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:25 am

lol at some of your responses. :lol:

The longer I think about it, the more I realize two things in regards to this post.

1. I may have been very unclear about certain things, like what genre I was talking about, etc. I also incorrectly thought it was assumed that yes, I would be mixing in and out of each and every track.

2. The answer to this question doesn't really matter if you're using Ableton Live. Whatever keeps people moving and grooving, and whatever work flow suits me. 'Nuff said.

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:44 am

i just put my ipod on shuffle and then i pedal around town.