another midi controller question

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Neil

Post by Neil » Tue Aug 06, 2002 4:33 pm

--I have seen that, but is it worth the cost?

For $150, you get the Niche Automation Station with 16 sliders and 4 knobs - not sure if you can switch midi channels or not (anyone else know?).

Niche----- yes you can switch midi channels.. it has 16 midi channels and each fader is able to be assignable separatly.. you can do much more also, you can assign groups of faders or mutes to one 'master' fader/mute so you can control multiple samples with one switch.. it also has snapshot capablities, you if you have multiple preset fader values you want to change on the fly, its got 16 banks to use.... the efx knobs(altho clicky) can also be assigned to 16 midi channels..

so that makes what...
16 x 16 faders- 232faders
4 x 16 knobs- 64 knobs

not bad for 150?

now what i am disapointed at is the oxygen 8, it has 8 knobs with no internal memory.. so there are no grouping for the 8 knobs, so your stuck with only 8 knobs :( unlike the evoulution counterpart(forgot the model number).. also in osx, you do not need a separate midi driver for the evolution keyboard.. i saw a post earlier about the new oxygen 8 having internal memory... must be a rumor, havent seen one yet...

Neil

Neil

Post by Neil » Tue Aug 06, 2002 4:39 pm

[quote="Rx"]I have seen that, but is it worth the cost?

For $150, you get the Niche Automation Station with 16 sliders and 4 knobs - not sure if you can switch midi channels or not (anyone else know?).
quote]

Niche----- yes you can switch midi channels.. it has 16 midi channels and each fader is able to be assignable separatly.. you can do much more also, you can assign groups of faders or mutes to one 'master' fader/mute so you can control multiple samples with one switch.. it also has snapshot capablities, you if you have multiple preset fader values you want to change on the fly, its got 16 banks to use.... the efx knobs(altho clicky) can also be assigned to 16 midi channels..

so that makes what...
16 x 16 faders- 232faders
4 x 16 knobs- 64 knobs

not bad for 150?

now what i am disapointed at is the oxygen 8, it has 8 knobs with no internal memory.. so there are no grouping for the 8 knobs, so your stuck with only 8 knobs :( unlike the evoulution counterpart(forgot the model number).. also in osx, you do not need a separate midi driver for the evolution keyboard.. i saw a post earlier about the new oxygen 8 having internal memory... must be a rumor, havent seen one yet...

Neil

Rx

Post by Rx » Tue Aug 06, 2002 6:43 pm

That is much better than I thought. I'm tempted, but I'm still leaning towards the Pocket Dial (apologies - I kept saying 'Control' when I meant 'Dial'). This is mainly due to the 'jump-less' knobs - the knobs do not have a specific start and end point. They will add incrementally to whatever value exists, rather than that value jumping to whatever value the knob was at.
Arp Laszlo
arphaus.com

Dell 6000d: 2.0ghz Pentium 760 | 1gb DDR2 ram
Echo Indigo DJ | Korg microKONTROL | faded black t-shirt emblazoned with 'Detroit' in gothic type