Att DJ's: Torn between 2 mixers - SOLVED! Got the Ecler

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
aqua_tek

Att DJ's: Torn between 2 mixers - SOLVED! Got the Ecler

Post by aqua_tek » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:11 pm

So. In my quest for a turntables/mixer setup, I've come to the realization that I'm SUCH a gearwhore that I can't just get a pair of crappy old tables and a shitty mixer.

So, I've already spent on the turntables. Got some Technics SL1200 M3D's, including Ortofon cartridges and dustcovers. $600 for the pair. Not too shabby.

Now I'm looking for a mixer. I'm TRYING to be reasonable about this and get the cheapest mixer I can find... but as I said... I just can't push myself to it.

So I've seen two mixers that interest me, and I can get them for basically the same price (B-stock specials). They are completely different beasts.

1. Urei 1601
Seems more full-featured, and I LOVE the design, even if it is an acquired taste. A little bulky/clunky though

2. Ecler Nuo 2
Nice and compact, which is a plus, in my small-ass room. Big knobs, another plus. Very simple though. No bells and whistles. Which is not a bad thing. Simple is good. But still, thinking that I could get the more fully-featured Urei at the same price makes me doubt this one.

I'm actually leaning towards the Urei, but the space constraints are holding me back.

Thoughts?
Last edited by aqua_tek on Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Parametex

Re: Attention DJ's... torn between 2 mixers. Help me out.

Post by Parametex » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:23 pm

Urei is very HQ

CITYSTATE

Post by CITYSTATE » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:27 pm

not exactly the answer you were looking for, but anyways....

i think you should save until you can get a rane ttm56 and then be done with it. that mixer and those decks will never need to be replaced or upgraded. that peace of mind is worth it, right?

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:29 pm

I've had a couple of Ecler mixers, the latter (a SMAC32) I've had for years now. Rock solid, awesome mixers. Would recommend them to anyone.
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:07 pm

Last I checked the entire line of UREI DJ mixers was discontinued. I imagine that would make it pretty difficult to get replacement parts.

Another + for the TTM56. I got the TTM57, but ultimately I think I'd be just as happy using the 56 and an SL1 box.

Nice snag with the 1200's + Ortofons. Buying a pair of used Technics is the smartest way to go.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:10 pm

Parametex wrote:Urei is very HQ
unfortenuetely not, UREI the onece like this one made under license by soundcraft having beautiful filters, sound and fadercurves plus the ergonomics are very good.

but we went through 4 mixers in not even a year in our club (the house mixer 1604 i think it's called)

and all had fatal failure, because of poor workmanship. we also sold plenty of the battle models in the shop belonging to the club all came returned, because of bad workmanship...

it's a pitty, because the EQ filters and ergo, etc is fantastic. the house mixer has my fave sounding DJ EQ, even before rodec and formula sound.

ecler is A+ value for money. i say go ecler.
*** Image GAFM ***

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:14 pm

Sales Dude McBoob wrote:Last I checked the entire line of UREI DJ mixers was discontinued. I imagine that would make it pretty difficult to get replacement parts.

Another + for the TTM56. I got the TTM57, but ultimately I think I'd be just as happy using the 56 and an SL1 box.

Nice snag with the 1200's + Ortofons. Buying a pair of used Technics is the smartest way to go.
I just checked and I take it back... the UREI DJ line appears to still be in business.

contakt321

Post by contakt321 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:16 pm

Sales Dude McBoob wrote:Last I checked the entire line of UREI DJ mixers was discontinued. I imagine that would make it pretty difficult to get replacement parts.

I agree. Reliable and is the industry standard scratch mixer. That or go for a Pioneer because thats what most decent clubs in NYC use.

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:18 pm

The first thing that comes to mind: I find the Urei quite bloated in size for a two channel mixer. Also, I don't like its EQs - they don't have a notch at their zero points.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:22 pm

Why not a Korg Zero 4? You can use it with CDJs and vinyl and use the MIDI functions with Live and Traktor, and any combination of all those.

I've heard bad things about the Zero 8s but the 4s seem to get mostly great reviews.

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:19 pm

i've got the zero 4.. it's larger than most mixers and would not fit in a standard coffin case so i had to have one built for it. it's a pretty good mixer and it's midi functionality is what really drew me to it. it's also a firewire interface (won't work on vista 64) but it works great with vista 32. the FX sound good too. i think you can get them pretty cheap these days. Beats is right about the earlier released zero 8s. although i've heard the newer ones work fine. but i got my zero 4 from sweetwater the day it was released and i've never had a problem (except the vista 64 issue and Korg's shitty customer service). all that being said, great mixer! but probably not what you're looking for.. price-wise.

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:51 pm

thanks a lot for the input guys. Yeah the reason I mentioned the Nuo 2 and the Urei is because i found some good deals on those specific ones (i.e. $285 or less for each). Pioneers, Ranes, Korgs, and all the others were all at a little over what I'm willing to pay right now. The korg km-202 with the built in Kaos pad is at a decent price, but looks kind of gimmicky/plasticky. Not very convincing.

In retrospect, I should have kept my Pioneer DJM 400 when I sold my CDJ's, but at the moment I didn't foresee getting any more DJ equipment.

Interesting opinions about the Urei. I never would have thought they'd be problematic. It looks like a tank! Which is one of the most attractive features. Looks like it can take a beating.

I really like the Ecler though. Looks nice and compact, I read it's built by Ecler themselves instead of outsourcing to the far east, as is usually the case for electronics, and it's not too expensive. But the Urei does look like it's more "bang for the buck", at the same price.

Argh! I'm in a pickle. But now I'm leaning towards the Ecler.

Keep em comin!

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:35 pm

aqua_tek wrote: Argh! I'm in a pickle. But now I'm leaning towards the Ecler.
Keep em comin!
I researched both of these like mad a while back. The conclusion I came to was that the Urei had fatal flaws (which I unfortunately do not recall specifically), while the Ecler did not.

Both are attractive for many reasons, but I'd go for an Ecler.

Saying that, I recommend a Rane, which is what I have. I may add or switch to an Ecler someday since I also need a mixer that has some of the features Ecler offers.

But I'm going to wait for the new Allen & Heath entry level mixer coming soon:
http://www.allen-heath.com/US/DisplayPr ... ?pview=108

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:21 pm

Ok. after a few hours of consideration and thought, I decided to go with the Ecler Nuo 2. Just placed my order.

Thanks a lot for all your help, gents.

doc holiday

Re: Att DJ's: Torn between 2 mixers - SOLVED! Got the Ecler

Post by doc holiday » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:27 pm

i never tried that a&h, but man they make great dj mixers!!