Basic Recording for a novice user

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Stephen Papale

Basic Recording for a novice user

Post by Stephen Papale » Fri Aug 02, 2002 3:14 pm

I'm a novice Live user...recently bought the program...can anyone tell me if it is necessary to have a "professional" sound card to record. I'm trying to record off my guitar amp via one channel by plugging into the SBlaster sound card mic (I'm using a cord with an adapter).

but I cant get live to record. I can hear the notes coming over my computer speakers and I can hear the sounds from Live's program files...but when I hit the record button...nothing.

Any ideas or suggestions will be very helpful.

systek

Post by systek » Fri Aug 02, 2002 4:49 pm

Your setup should work but I do not think you are going to be happy with the results. Obviously if you have a better sound card you will get a better signal to noise ratio. Also if you will probably have to experiment with your guitar sound because it will probably not sound too good just by plugging into your computer directly. You will want to try a pre-amp, or mic'ing the amp through a mixer that feeds into one of your computer inputs. Hope this helps a little... maybe you should check out some other recording forums out on the web...

twelve

Post by twelve » Fri Aug 02, 2002 6:18 pm

Do you specify everything correctly in the preferences window?

Also, it sounds like you have the computer setup for monitoring and recording not set up correctly. What kind of setup do you have?