Battery 3 - what´s up?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
klagga

Battery 3 - what´s up?

Post by klagga » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:06 pm

What´s the future for Battery 3? Anybody know of NI plans for it? If I buy it today, will it be supported tomorrow? Just asking.

thefinger

Re: Battery 3 - what´s up?

Post by thefinger » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:42 pm

i cant really answer the question, but i do have battery 3 and i am looking to get rid of it. the software was given to me as part of a package and i don't really need it or use it. id let it go for insanely cheap. let me know if youre interested.

i can tell you that NI supports their products about as much as you can expect a company to ... i hear complaints about it sometimes, such as backwards compatibility issues (e.g. patches from old synths not working in newer versions) but i own many synths from them and haven't really has much of an issue with it. and the upgrade fees for newer versions are very fair.

i have no idea how maschine will effect battery's development, though. they seem like similar products to me.

Rogue Scrunt

Post by Rogue Scrunt » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:47 am

I have used battery since v1.

they have always supported their product
Don't hesitate, but try to find a good deal on a used copy.
for lots of great records, check out,
http://stores.ebay.com/id=64360994?ssPageName=ME:F:ST

channelite

Post by channelite » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:13 am

Battery is straight forward and easy to use. It comes with three generations of kits and it's real easy to make your own. I bought Battery 1 in 2001 but never used it that much because I had a slow mac back then. Last year I was able to upgrade to Battery 3 through NI for $119. They still had my info all these years later. Great VST plugin for Live.

donnydonny

Post by donnydonny » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:41 pm

The current version, v3.0.4, has been pretty stable. Granted, it came out almost a year ago, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'd definitely recommend it, supported or not, if you're upgrading from a previous version of Battery or are looking to expand from Drum Racks.
Macbook Pro 2.16GHz, 3GB, OS X 10.6.2, Live 7.0.18 (Triceratopz), Torq 1.5.2, M-Audio Xponent, Access Virus TI Polar, Trigger Finger

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:49 pm

I've had zero problems with Battery 3 since I bought it about two years ago (ish...give or take!). I'd continue to use it even if they did discontinue it; easy to use, great library, and works well with Live.
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

continuous

Post by continuous » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:06 pm

only downside is the names of cells don't show up in the piano roll but you can work around this.

owning both maschine and battery i can say there is some overlap of kits... some of the same kits that are in battery appear in maschine's library. this is not a comment on the dev of the two products... i have no idea of course.
Last edited by continuous on Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toph

Post by toph » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:35 pm

Do I get you right, klagga, that you suspect NI not develop Battery any further because of Maschine? - As I don't think Maschine is ment to be a successor of Battery, there should be no worries. I didn't pay much attention on Maschine yet, but I think it's a more or less complete different concept and made for a different target group. :wink:

C.

klagga

Post by klagga » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:42 am

Thanks for your comments!

Gab

Post by Gab » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:54 am

toph wrote:Do I get you right, klagga, that you suspect NI not develop Battery any further because of Maschine? - As I don't think Maschine is ment to be a successor of Battery, there should be no worries. I didn't pay much attention on Maschine yet, but I think it's a more or less complete different concept and made for a different target group. :wink:

C.
This is indeed NI's official position, from what I have read - Battery 3 may be replaced by Battery 4 one day, but Maschine and Battery are two different products, that the former is not meant to replace the latter.
'If they act too hip, you know they can’t play shit.'

continuous

Post by continuous » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:22 pm

For the OP.... NI just put it up at half off for the next month which makes it about 119 usd. Not trying to tempt you... just wanted to make sure you saw the promo. I wonder if this means Battery 4 is on the horizon? I've got Komplete so there won't be any upgrading for me without doing the whole thing.

Anyway, cheers.

ProgressNotes

Post by ProgressNotes » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:33 pm

continuous wrote:For the OP.... NI just put it up at half off for the next month which makes it about 119 usd. Not trying to tempt you... just wanted to make sure you saw the promo. I wonder if this means Battery 4 is on the horizon? I've got Komplete so there won't be any upgrading for me without doing the whole thing.

Anyway, cheers.
I'm looking to get Komplete 5 sometime soon, but in the back of my head I'm kind of worried about there being an upgrade on the horizon (even though I think I saw someone from NI shot that down in so many words on their message board). Any one have any feelings about this?

And Battery is rad. I'll be looking to move one of my copies if I get Komplete anytime soon.

nepotist

Post by nepotist » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:35 pm

continuous wrote:For the OP.... NI just put it up at half off for the next month which makes it about 119 usd. Not trying to tempt you... just wanted to make sure you saw the promo. I wonder if this means Battery 4 is on the horizon? I've got Komplete so there won't be any upgrading for me without doing the whole thing.

Anyway, cheers.
I picked this up just b/c it was on sale, it's pretty cool but using drum racks or stylus seems a lot easier.
The Sales Department
TWITTER
FACEBOOK
BANDCAMP Download "Airlock" free-10 songs recorded in 10 Days

re.mark

Post by re.mark » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:09 pm

Yes I saw the 50% off promo email today, just downloaded a demo and pretty damn impressed by it actaully, wish i could have saved some of the sound I made with tweaking lol. Think I'll probably buy it during this offer. Just wondering though whats it like CPU wise with Live7. My comp can run about 3/4 instances of Massive before it gets dopey, what about Massive and the full version of Battery at the same time - how does it fair CPU-wise? What sort of problems do you tend to entail with Battery3??

continuous

Post by continuous » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:23 pm

I think you'll be fine running an instance of Battery and an instance of Massive if your able to run 3 instances of Massive currently. Guess Battery is gonna want to munch some ram to load samples? I don't have any issues on my MacBookPro at all.

I haven't used drumracks a whole lot but have used impulse quite a bit in the past. It really helps me as a noob beat maker to see the components listed in the piano roll. My workaround for Battery has been to make a instrument rack with the cells of battery listed cells (A1,A2,A3...B1,B2 etc.) that way when I build a kit in Battery, and put bass drum samples in cells A1, B1, C1 and snare samples in A2, B2, C2 etc. than I kinda know where stuff is at. There was a post which I got the idea from that explains how to set up something like this.

Maschine kinda solves this problem for me though I am not completely crazy about how it integrates in Live at the mo. Anyway... still a noob at all this.
Last edited by continuous on Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.