Ableton And Guru Multi outs

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
andrewbrewer

Re: Ableton And Guru Multi outs

Post by andrewbrewer » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:14 pm

tomf wrote:Thanks andrewbrewer, sounds good, i'll be giving it a shot.

russ - whats the point in slicing it to midi when it was midi in the first place lol if i can just keep it as midi all the way through then it will save time and messing about.
russ has some good points about committing to audio, but that's maybe better to do when you run up against cpu issues or are trying to iron something out for live use.
the technique i use for things like this (using external instrument devices) has served me very well with all sort of instruments, and should allow you to stay in the midi-domain but still get the advantage of using mixer/pan/effects on the separate guru outs

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:10 pm

tomf wrote:Thanks andrewbrewer, sounds good, i'll be giving it a shot.

russ - whats the point in slicing it to midi when it was midi in the first place lol if i can just keep it as midi all the way through then it will save time and messing about.
Except you can't get it to work...

Commit to audio, slice to midi, rearrange inside Live. job done.

But, whatever works (or doesn't as the case may be) for you.

fastfx

Post by fastfx » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:53 pm

andrewbrewer wrote:i do something similar w/ the e-mu proteusvx.

you want 1 midi track w/ guru and 8 more midi tracks, each with an "external instrument" instrument.

ensure to set the guru track-record monitor so that it is always on, but for midi input you should select no input.
this tip probably sounds strange, but there is a reason.

you are going to be pointing each of the 8 external instrument plug-ins to guru.
so, go to each of the external instrument plugs and you will see two drop down boxes.
in the first box, choose the channel in guru you want to send midi to.
in the second box, choose the output channel that you want to pass back to the external instrument device.

i hope this helps.

thanks andrew, got it working now, sort of, i got each engine on its own midi channel in live, and they play accordingly. Only thing is, now i can't get my midi keyboard to playback and of the sounds from each engine. I like to select an engine, then jam around on my keyboard to see what its got, but now i can't hear the sounds from my keyboard, it's working fine because i've loaded other plug ins up and it plays them no probs.
I have armed the track aswell, still no sound.
Any ideas?

djgroovy

Post by djgroovy » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:39 pm

Try this tutorial i made for that, maybe it will help.
This is using a drum rack and the external instrument device, so you have all the outs from Guru on a single track, unfoldable.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 56#3342456