Any Arrangement View users planning on an APC40?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
mersault

Any Arrangement View users planning on an APC40?

Post by mersault » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:29 am

The APC40 is obviously set up for Session View, but is it worth it for anybody using the Arrangement view? I know its still usable, but it seems like a bit of a waste. Any alternatives? Any arrangement view users planning on getting an APC40?

Superchibisan

Re: Any Arrangement View users planning on an APC40?

Post by Superchibisan » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:38 am

mersault wrote:The APC40 is obviously set up for Session View, but is it worth it for anybody using the Arrangement view? I know its still usable, but it seems like a bit of a waste. Any alternatives? Any arrangement view users planning on getting an APC40?
you obviously don't understand the scope of what the apc 40 was designed for.

you know with max for live, you can reprogram the apc40 do do whatever you want? (step sequencer being the most popular example) it is going to be an amazing tool for creation and mixing. the ability to control volumes of every channel in a hardware unit will be great.

i will be using the apc40 for everything under the sun.

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:49 am

Funny you should mention that mersault. I use the session view more as an instrument for arranging. With the aid of follow actions I can get a fairly complex arrangement going in session view. I have the luxury of rehearsing it even. Then I'll play it, like I would an instrument, while recording into the arrange view.

At first I didn't think this controller would be useful to me but now I may have a change of heart if it's that tightly integrated into Live. And if it can be custom configurable with MFL, wow- a lo tech Lemur? But I'll have to see it in action first.
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

esky

Post by esky » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:45 am

Hey, that is exactly the question i was asking in the APC40 sticky, but nobody replied on that. I' ll wait and see how people reprogram the APC, so far i think there is not so much benefit if you arrange in Live 8 like in "classic" DAW's.

mersault

Post by mersault » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:59 pm

No Superchibisan, I am well aware that the APC40 can be used in either view, as I thought I clearly stated in my original post. I'm contemplating whether its worth the time (learning) and money. It seems like its marketed towards other users, though I would love to have something like this. Akai and Ableton don't seem to acknowledge using it in arrangement view. Its obviously a concrete version of the session view. Its good to at least know that you other guys are out there wondering the same thing. It would be easier to determine this sort of thing if I could see it in action.

the_antagonist

Post by the_antagonist » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:23 pm

i hadnt really wondered. im not planning on getting max

i start in the session make my loops then, perform it to arrangemnt, i will use apc for this... knobs focused on details

i use arrangement sitting down with a cup of tea and the mouse. the session is just to get a natural layout in arrangement. chances are the end product will not resemble my first performance.

once i have a track i send it back to session where the apc will be used to perform all my tracks in a simpler fashion that meets the needs of all my material