MPD32 Latency

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
LISH

MPD32 Latency

Post by LISH » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:25 am

Hello All,

I know this has probably been asked a million times, but I just gave myself a headache searching for the answer hah! I just bought the MPD32, and notice that when I try and record a sound being triggered with the note repeat that it is being recorded slightly late. If I turn the record quantization on then it records fine. But it should be playing in perfect sync without it. Can anyone help me figure out how to compensate for the latency?

Thanks!

Tone Deft

Re: MPD32 Latency

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:28 am

turn your sample rate to as high as it can comfortably go.

look up "track delay" in the manual, it's at the bottom of each track but might not be visible, check the manual.

this is a common problem, search the site, the explanations are long and varied.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Dan Dare

Post by Dan Dare » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:13 am

What is the MPD swing setting set to, I think it defaults to 58%\, put it on 50% this might help.

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:57 am

are you using a usb or direct midi connection?
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu

LISH

Post by LISH » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:05 pm

Thanks for your help guys.

The swing was on so turning that off helps for now heh. I am using it with the USB. I don't have a power supply, and when I connected the midi to my digi 002 I couldn't get it to trigger from the midi ports only the usb (that's a whole other problem). I figured out that if I set the track delay to -30 ms I can trigger the note repeat in sync with the metronome. But it's still recording the notes late. If I record it with quantization it then records the notes in the right timing, but on payback the track delay will cause it to be too early so I have to turn that off after recording. ugh I miss my mpc2000......

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:20 pm

LISH wrote:Thanks for your help guys.

The swing was on so turning that off helps for now heh. I am using it with the USB. I don't have a power supply, and when I connected the midi to my digi 002 I couldn't get it to trigger from the midi ports only the usb (that's a whole other problem). I figured out that if I set the track delay to -30 ms I can trigger the note repeat in sync with the metronome. But it's still recording the notes late. If I record it with quantization it then records the notes in the right timing, but on payback the track delay will cause it to be too early so I have to turn that off after recording. ugh I miss my mpc2000......

just find one off of craigslist....they go for 300-400 dollars now.

are you using an external power supply when u use the midi connection? or are you using USB bus power?
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu

LISH

Post by LISH » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:30 pm

shoot they are that cheap now? damn!

I am using the usb power, I havent gone out to get a power supply yet. Do you think it will work better running off the power supply via midi ports rather than using the usb?

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:33 pm

LISH wrote:shoot they are that cheap now? damn!

I am using the usb power, I havent gone out to get a power supply yet. Do you think it will work better running off the power supply via midi ports rather than using the usb?
yup it does work...you don't have to get an official akai power supply just go to radio shack and bring the mpd there to verify the connector you will need. On my mpd24, i used a 9v adapter with an M plug. It probably is the same, just go and verify by bringing the unit there and powering it on. I think for plug and adapter it costs around 15 dollars.

I used both my novation x station and emu1616m as soundcards and the responsiveness improved as long as i did a direct midi connection.

chris_in_london

Post by chris_in_london » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:12 pm

LISH wrote:Hello All,

I know this has probably been asked a million times, but I just gave myself a headache searching for the answer hah! I just bought the MPD32, and notice that when I try and record a sound being triggered with the note repeat that it is being recorded slightly late. If I turn the record quantization on then it records fine. But it should be playing in perfect sync without it. Can anyone help me figure out how to compensate for the latency?

Thanks!
as well as those MPD32 swing settings, have you adjusted the MTC output in the midi prefs? expand the > symbol next to the MPD output, and adjust the MTC delay/compensation slider until the MPD32 is in prefect sync.

i found i need to set -28.8ms to get correct sync. now it's all lined up on playback and record, using the note-repeat.

note repeat rules!

apolloXiii

Post by apolloXiii » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:27 pm

I just picked up an MPD32 a few months ago, and a new macbook pro a few weeks ago.

I am having similar latency problems. The MPD32 is powered via USB (and transmitting MIDI this way as well). No matter what I try it seems that the sound is always just behind my fingers. It throws my playing off terribly as well which doubles the frustration.

I do a lot of live recording and performance so the audio latency is just killing me. I'll try some of the ideas on this thread and see if they help.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.3 GHz Core i5, 4GB RAM, OSX 10.7
Ableton Live 8.2.1
Akai MPD32
M-Audio KeyRig49
Warwick Streamer 5-String

Dan Dare

Post by Dan Dare » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:20 am

apolloXiii wrote:I just picked up an MPD32 a few months ago, and a new macbook pro a few weeks ago.

I am having similar latency problems. The MPD32 is powered via USB (and transmitting MIDI this way as well). No matter what I try it seems that the sound is always just behind my fingers. It throws my playing off terribly as well which doubles the frustration.

I do a lot of live recording and performance so the audio latency is just killing me. I'll try some of the ideas on this thread and see if they help.
Have you tried to lower your audio buffer size, that could be it. Otherwise try adjusting the midi delay as mentioned above. .