What are you going to build in M4L ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Geezus

Re: What are you going to build in M4L ?

Post by Geezus » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:04 pm

nathannn wrote:i am going to build a max patch called hello.

it will have three message boxs, the first box will print the word hello
the second will print the phrase "good morning everybody!"
the third will print the phrase "good morning, everybody!"
LMFAO for truth

only guy in here that will actually follow through

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:06 pm

I'm going to use it to complete that goddamn Freedom Tower those lazy ass "we just get things done" New Yorkers can't seem to bring to completion. How many years are we going on now? The terrorists are still winning.

33tetragammon

Post by 33tetragammon » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:43 pm

for clip envelopes:
-recording realtime cc data etc using a hardware midi controller instead of using the mouse or a wacom tablet for envelope drawing

dextroc

Post by dextroc » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:12 pm

I'm just wondering (saw this thread a bit late, so late wondering)... How much of these things will actually be possible? I know that many things in Live will be accessible with m4l, but many of the things you guys have thrown out there seem to require extensive reprogramming of Live, not building devices in m4l. Don't get me wrong, m4l is going to be excellent and I'm hoping to be able to add the recent multitouch framework for max someone built to build a simple, cheap TUIO interface using a webcam and a projector, but let's not get our hopes all the way up to the moon and even further. I mean, bezier curves in the automation f.ex.? Only gonna happen with some unstable "shitmixing" (as I'd like to call it). I mean, if the guys at ableton would make every single little thing in Live accessible with m4l, they wouldn't really need to upgrade Live anymore, people would just do that by themselves.

Even so, it's gonna be a helluva blast to play around with it. I can't wait to see how far it's gonna go.
Yup...
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz, Ableton Live Suite 8, Max/MSP/Jitter, TC Konnekt 24d, Remote SL 25, Monome, joysticks, music boxes, harps, guitars, whatever...

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:20 pm

dextroc wrote:I'm just wondering (saw this thread a bit late, so late wondering)... How much of these things will actually be possible? I know that many things in Live will be accessible with m4l, but many of the things you guys have thrown out there seem to require extensive reprogramming of Live, not building devices in m4l. Don't get me wrong, m4l is going to be excellent and I'm hoping to be able to add the recent multitouch framework for max someone built to build a simple, cheap TUIO interface using a webcam and a projector, but let's not get our hopes all the way up to the moon and even further. I mean, bezier curves in the automation f.ex.? Only gonna happen with some unstable "shitmixing" (as I'd like to call it). I mean, if the guys at ableton would make every single little thing in Live accessible with m4l, they wouldn't really need to upgrade Live anymore, people would just do that by themselves.

Even so, it's gonna be a helluva blast to play around with it. I can't wait to see how far it's gonna go.
They have stated there will be an official Live API that can be accessed through M4L.
Unsound Designer

otnooishphoo

Post by otnooishphoo » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:04 pm

convultion reverb
works like graincloud in reaktor

put source IR (any wave) in, select in and out points that can be dragged around

processing incoming audio through the IR..

thats what i want to try and do

should take me forever as my max skills are pretty basic right now.

33tetragammon

Post by 33tetragammon » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:47 pm

otnooishphoo wrote:convultion reverb

put source IR (any wave) in, select in and out points that can be dragged around

should take me more than forever since i don't know jacks^&t about max OR reaktor 5 or anything like that......... :mrgreen:

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:52 pm

33tetragammon wrote:

should take me more than forever since i don't know jacks^&t about max OR reaktor 5 or anything like that......... :mrgreen:
just break he problem down into small chunks by drawing it out first. do not code without planning ahead. then program each small chunk one at a time, test it thoroughly and integrate each part.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:55 pm

Kinda looking forward to a whole range of synthesized farmyard animals sounds.
When I started with max, Sheep were a big thing.

How about a rooster generator with a French Accent knob?
Queqelequu Queqelequu

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:05 pm

Hey, that's a nice idea and any extra usage of the IRs you possess for new & interesting FX can only be a good thing. Does graincloud work in this way ? .... *googling*
spreader of butter

otnooishphoo

Post by otnooishphoo » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:17 pm

b0unce wrote:
Hey, that's a nice idea and any extra usage of the IRs you possess for new & interesting FX can only be a good thing. Does graincloud work in this way ? .... *googling*

i don't think it does, i think it just granulates the waveform

i want the interface to work like graincloud, but you are scrubbing the IR instead of the waveform
the incoming audio is processed by the scrubbed portion of the IR.

you can actually use any wav file as an IR, Sonic Foundry used to have a sweet one that did that.
http://www.barryrudolph.com/ingear/bott ... irror.html

Cymbals make for really interesting reverbs.

the idea came to me when sampler came out..i was like, wouldn't it be cool if sampler could
also be a convolution reverb where the sample inside of sampler was the IR.... or whatever
section of the sample, etc etc..

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:23 pm

otnooishphoo

Post by otnooishphoo » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:13 pm

YOINK!

thanks!