Price of Upgrade to Live 8

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
locojohn

Re: Price of Upgrade to Live 8

Post by locojohn » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:11 pm

chris_in_london wrote:
locojohn wrote:I noticed that some people are complaining about the price for the "most expensive DAW" on the market referring to Ableton Suite 8, but the DAW upgrade itself (without the suite) is a little more than 100 Euro, which definitely does not make it the most expensive DAW today.

Andrejs
huh?

http://www.ableton.com/upgrade

Live 7 to Live 8 Upgrade (Download) EUR 149
Live 7 to Live 8 Upgrade (Box) EUR 179

?
That's right, minus the coupon (30 EUR). 120 EUR upgrade for the DAW like Live alone - is it so expensive? Come on?

Andrejs
/*
  • the basic tone of life remains the same,
    and in it there are some happy melodies
    and some sad melodies
    - sekito kisen
*/

kaffein

Post by kaffein » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:17 pm

It's not that bad. I paid $450 for my box copy of live6 back in late 06?
$250 for the upgrade, however having all those extra synths and such would be nice... I'd be basically buying live again though.

How much do the Live7 suite users pay to upgrade to suite 8?

kaffein

Post by kaffein » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:18 pm

Er nm, the previous post gave me the answer. :)
Er god damnit, nix that... That's the regular upgrade, what's the 7-8 suite upgrade price?

six_o_clock_crow
Location: Portsmouth: small town near Havant & Waterlooville, UK

Post by six_o_clock_crow » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:30 pm

ash1 wrote:ableton is overpriced in the current credit crunch
Have to say ash1 I think you raise a good point. However, I think the answer is not for everyone to moan at Ableton - a small company in the grand scheme. Has everyone not noticed that recently ALL music gear and software has gone up in price? It should be expected that this upgrade of Live would be more expensive than previous ones: everything is more expensive at the moment. Ableton have increased overheads too, you know.

Everyone that is complaining about this, your time and energy would be better spent campaigning your government, whoever, about the economic climate. If the governments and banks sort their act out, we'll all have more disposable income to spend on music.

Ultimately, if you think it's too expensive, don't buy it. That's what I'm doing - can't afford it right now. Funnily enough, my current version of Live still works today just like it did yesterday... And if enough people refrain from buying then perhaps the price will come down anyway.
HARDWARE:
Vaio laptop / M-Audio Transit / Zoom H2 /
Alesis M1 Active 520's / Sennheiser EH2200's
Behringer BCR2000 / misc. instruments & toys

SOFTWARE:
Live 7 / Sound Forge Audio Studio

chris_in_london

Post by chris_in_london » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:33 pm

six_o_clock_crow wrote:And if enough people refrain from buying then perhaps the price will come down anyway.
let's hope so.

the fact that (according to a related post) ableton have dropped educational pricing is a bit ominous, though.

rand

Post by rand » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:46 pm

$189 for Live 8 upgrade... verses
$149 for ProTools 8 upgrade...
$99 for Logic ver6 or 7 to LogicPro 8 upgrade.
8O :oops:
NOT a good trend for Ableton.... especially in these hard economic times guys.
As a user since ver.1 I'm not to thrilled.

GrooveNinja

Post by GrooveNinja » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:50 pm

I think that it is too much money for an upgrade, too. Maybe Microsoft secretly bought out Ableton? I am going to wait until the end of the year, since they usually seem to offer better incentives to upgrade then.

Mike Goodwin

Post by Mike Goodwin » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:11 pm

Ok so what are these coupons for line time users? Where do I get one? How long does it take. Any info on this mysterious topic?

mock

Post by mock » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:16 pm

I don't really understand this discussion. I've checked my mailbox and have seen that the upgrade prices were known to us since at least 01/15. If you knew by then that it was overpriced then why didn't people complain at that time.
OTOH, if you knew from day one that you wanted to upgrade (for example because of the announced features), then you were able to save an average of less than $4 a day to pay for the upgrade.

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:17 pm

Mike Goodwin wrote:Ok so what are these coupons for line time users? Where do I get one? How long does it take. Any info on this mysterious topic?
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... +statement

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:27 pm

mock wrote:I don't really understand this discussion. I've checked my mailbox and have seen that the upgrade prices were known to us since at least 01/15. If you knew by then that it was overpriced then why didn't people complain at that time.
OTOH, if you knew from day one that you wanted to upgrade (for example because of the announced features), then you were able to save an average of less than $4 a day to pay for the upgrade.
People did complain at the time.

Russell Krauch

Post by Russell Krauch » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:31 pm

My paycheck has been cut 40% since the first of the year. I'm not upgrading this time. As simple as that. If they do a deal where they offer Operator or Sampler along with the upgrade I might try to find the money somewhere. Until then I'm sitting tight.

feyshay

Post by feyshay » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:46 pm

I don't think the price is that bad, really. For $199 (after the coupon), I got the Live 8 upgrade, Collision and Latin Percussion. I've paid $150 or more in the past for an EQ plug-in! This is a lot more complicated, and I'm surprised costs are not greater for DAW upgrades than they are.

chalkline

Post by chalkline » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:46 pm

Live 7 to Live 8 Upgrade (Download)
more info...

EUR 49

Live 7 to Live 8 Upgrade (Box)
more info...

EUR 79

I just copy and pasted this from the shop page, and the only upgrade for euros 178 is live 8 and eic 2 so not sure where this price of euros 179 is coming from

http://www.ableton.com/upgrade

rand

Post by rand » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:00 pm

chalkline...
I think you forgot to put a 1 before your numbers.