Price of Upgrade to Live 8

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
melocoton

Re: Price of Upgrade to Live 8

Post by melocoton » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:43 pm

rarelyseen wrote:What a dick you are. You tell them that the only thing you like in 8 is the looper, that you haven't supported Live 7 either and now you are whining that they don't wash your arse? What a waste of time and internet bandwidth. If I was Ableton, I would lock your license and tell you to fuck off.
Ableton is a business right? They're not your best buddy or something. As a customer I have a right to complain and as a business Ableton has the right to listen to my complaint or ignore it and tell me to fuck off. Your silly emotional response really has no bearing on the situation.

Personally I think Ableton makes updates that are too small, makes them too often, sells them for too much, and then penalizes customers who don't keep up with the upgrades. I disagree with this approach, and apparently I'm not alone in that opinion. If expressing that opinion makes me a dick I don't really give a shit. At least it's potentially useful customer feedback for Ableton, as opposed to your worthless fanboy bluster.

And to be honest I really wouldn't care if the upgrade pricing was consistent for everyone but the fact that some short term users who jumped on board with Live 6 get a "longtime user" benefit not available to some actual longtime users is a bit of an insult.

Mike Goodwin

Post by Mike Goodwin » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:08 pm

As I said earlier in this thread I sent an email off to Ableton. I explained that I felt that I had "fallen through the cracks" by not getting a coupon. They got back to me today, Sunday offering me a discount. I feel this is good customer care. It looks good on them. Thanks Ableton.

rarelyseen

Post by rarelyseen » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:24 pm

melocoton wrote: Ableton is a business right? They're not your best buddy or something.
You got it. In a business world, they do the pricing, you pay it. If it's too expensive, you go for something else. You decide if the price fits for you or not. I used to drive a good German car which I bought new. Loved it until it died. I couldn't afford a new one, so I got a Japanese car. I did not sent any letters to Germany complaining that their pricing is an "insult" for me as a loyal customer.

My favourite Swiss goat cheese costs more in the supermarket across the street than in the one at the train station, but they are always friendly and it's a nice and cosy store, so I buy it there to support them. Does that mean I need to fuck the till girl? Guess not.

willcopps

Post by willcopps » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:43 pm

I think the problem is that we all changed our workflows to adapt to a certain business model we have come to expect. Ableton is different, and we ALL sacrificed for awhile to take advantage of it. Now that the business model is changing (pay for Corpus? $189 upgrade?) some it's a bit of a slap in the face to any customer loyalty. They can be a business, sure, but their business model is one of the reasons I cam over in the first place.
-Will

DanMan

Post by DanMan » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:39 am

melocoton wrote:
rarelyseen wrote:What a dick you are. You tell them that the only thing you like in 8 is the looper, that you haven't supported Live 7 either and now you are whining that they don't wash your arse? What a waste of time and internet bandwidth. If I was Ableton, I would lock your license and tell you to fuck off.
Ableton is a business right? They're not your best buddy or something. As a customer I have a right to complain and as a business Ableton has the right to listen to my complaint or ignore it and tell me to fuck off. Your silly emotional response really has no bearing on the situation.

Personally I think Ableton makes updates that are too small, makes them too often, sells them for too much, and then penalizes customers who don't keep up with the upgrades. I disagree with this approach, and apparently I'm not alone in that opinion. If expressing that opinion makes me a dick I don't really give a shit. At least it's potentially useful customer feedback for Ableton, as opposed to your worthless fanboy bluster.

And to be honest I really wouldn't care if the upgrade pricing was consistent for everyone but the fact that some short term users who jumped on board with Live 6 get a "longtime user" benefit not available to some actual longtime users is a bit of an insult.
/signed and agreed.
Win 10
Core i7
16 Gig Ram