Everyone who wants educationprice on upgrade sign up here.

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
leedsquietman

Re: Everyone who wants educationprice on upgrade sign up here.

Post by leedsquietman » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:05 am

yup - give us a break, you amazing, kind, super talented Berliners. You know you want to !! Show us da love :)
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

DaddyHam

Post by DaddyHam » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:48 am

So I'm not sure I understand whats going on? why would they not give out the educational discount anymore? My upgrade price from live suite 7 educational to live 8 suite is 229 american. I can't afford that, not with the Canadian exchange rate, I can hardly afford to pay my phone bill! That seems a bit insane as I paid 500 for live suite 7 six months ago. They will only lose potential margins by not offering the educational discount? Are they actually not offering the discount or have they just not got around to updating this part of the pricing?

EDIT - One of the major selling points for me was actually the upgrade cost. It was so appealing to know I could actually afford to keep up with technology for once. I felt like it was a lifetime investment, and while Live 7 is amazing, I was going on the assumption I would be able to upgrade for a reasonable price until I actually entered the real world.

the_woof

Post by the_woof » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:58 am

+1 for this. I bought Live 7 because there was an educational price. I'm in high school, for christ's sakes. I'd gladly send my school ID like I did with Cycling '74 to get the 9-month max/msp/jitter license, if I need to prove I'm still a student. The reasoning behind this decision doesn't make sense. If you think students should pay less for the new product, why not for the upgrade product, too? It's the same money, and the same person. The discount should be proportional.
djsynchro wrote:For a female vocal try companding a mid-side encoded signal with a ratio of around 18:2 at around 2.5k, possibly a lower ratio if the source is very sibilant.
my music

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:16 am

Agreed. New upgrade pricing policy sucks.

tiedyetrogdor

Post by tiedyetrogdor » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:35 am

+1. I'm really angry about paying hundreds of dollars to upgrade.

What I really want? For Cycling74 to finish Pluggo for Max 5. I know Max for Live will be really awesome, but I already own Live 7 AND Max, and I don't want to pay all this money for stuff I already have. It makes it even worse when Ableton won't help me out as a student anymore.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:47 am

Student and a teacher here. I just want M4L so bad that not upgrading was not an option, educational discount be damned.

But I agree, they shouldn't have gotten rid of this.
Unsound Designer

Hillary Clinton

Post by Hillary Clinton » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:38 am

Pretty simple, I will remain on Live 6.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:43 am

At least they aren't apple. I bought Logic 7 for $500, academic. They won't let me upgrade it at all.

djphenaproxima

Post by djphenaproxima » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:03 am

+1

I had the educational version of Live 7, which I upgraded to Suite 7 at the end of last month. According to the Live 8 Release FAQ that was posted on the site (which has now been taken down, but I saved a copy from Google's cache as proof), I should be getting a free downloadable upgrade to Suite 8, even though I own the educational version.

Did Ableton silently decide to go back on that policy? Or was it false/incorrect information? Either way, I think I should be getting the deal I was told I'd get. Or at least an educational discount.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:06 am

I guess mommy and daddy's money will have to go towards their rising taxes and food bills.

stfu and go study. sign of the times kids, deal with it.

:P

(puts on XXXXL flame retardant suit.)
Last edited by Tone Deft on Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Winterpark

Post by Winterpark » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:06 am

edited
Last edited by Winterpark on Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
web | fb | sc | twt | bc

leonard

Post by leonard » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:52 am

with all due respect, they did say a couple of months ago to upgrade to live 7 then upgrade to live 8 for discount.
there was talk then that the edu discount was being discontinued. the only reason i would want to upgrade would be for mfl, but it seems prohibitively expensive, due to my lack of income and all...bring it back? sure. if not, life goes on...
???

musiker01

Post by musiker01 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:29 am

Another starving teacher here who cannot afford the upgrade without an educational discount. I even helped beta testing, by the way.
djphenaproxima wrote:+1

I had the educational version of Live 7, which I upgraded to Suite 7 at the end of last month. According to the Live 8 Release FAQ that was posted on the site (which has now been taken down, but I saved a copy from Google's cache as proof), I should be getting a free downloadable upgrade to Suite 8, even though I own the educational version.
Are you sure about that? When I checked the upgrade page about a month ago it said the upgrade-to-suite-now-and-get-Live-8-for-free option did not apply to me as an educational customer.

Axel

Mr-Bit

Post by Mr-Bit » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:20 am

What about all the other Live customers that are as poor or worse
off than students or teachers I just spent my last cash on the upgrade,
oh well beans on toast for a few weeks :D

DaddyHam

Post by DaddyHam » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:11 am

It still makes no sense? They are just loosing profits they otherwise could have gained, because I'm not paying 280 Canadian for an upgrade, so they just lost out on the 150 that I would have paid. The whole point is that students pay what, 20,000 a year on education, and I resent any ignorant bastard who says my parents pay for it when I have worked so hard for scholarships, loans, bursaries and my own supplemented income on top of actually going to school. I thought they were building customer loyalty with the education discount so when I actually had a job I'd spring for all this stuff in the future, and continue to support Ableton forever. Not to mention the fact that most students I know just crack this shit, so what about the loyal students and teachers who actually pay hard money for this stuff? I'm taking this personally, this is capitalism at its best, I love Ableton, and I hope this is just a lag in price changes. If not I guess Live 7 is as far as I go. I believe the future profits and customer loyalty they will be loosing by discontinuing the education discount far outweigh any short term profits they might actually incur from making us pay the full upgrade amount.

Edit - Sorry to get so heated here, I may have gone off the wing a little, I just really want to be able to afford live 8.
Last edited by DaddyHam on Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.