Finally.... Live 8 is online!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Anubis

Re: Finally.... Live 8 is online!

Post by Anubis » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:05 am

A humble suggestion for the Abes... Break the Suite download into two chunks. I had to try six times before it finally went all the way through. (And I have a very fast connection!) The download would get to about 50 to 80% then it would freeze. And keep in mind this was at 3:43 GMT when all the folks on the eastern side of the pond are snoozin'. :D
That's the way IK distributes their big downloads and it works very well. At least you're not as frustrated cause you get to witness some piecemeal progress.
Now I just gotta get up the courage to actually unzip the file and hope it's not corrupt from all the tries. 8O
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

IP

Post by IP » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:10 am

leedsquietman wrote:IP - you have been a registered user on the board for a matter of weeks. I'll reserve judgement that you have experience with Live prior to this, in order to make a broad sweeping statement such as 'it's definately worth every penny'. Obviously, we all have a love for the company and the software, and I've always considered Ableton a totally stand up, customer friendly company, so I am hopeful that they will reconsider the decision on scrapping educational discounts. They've had plenty of my money since Live 6, I have bought peripheral instruments and items from the Ableton store (even though the shipping to Canada is crippling) - but I have also championed the use of Live repeatedly on Cubase.net and persuaded several to buy into Live, and the same at other sites. All we're asking for is a little goodwill in a really terrible time.

What makes it all the more galling, is Steinberg, a company whose Cubase product I've used for 10 years, but almost put to sleep since getting Live, are suddenly getting smart after years of dumb rudeness and slashing prices and trying to get people onboard and trying to be a bit 'nicer' - who'd have thunk it. I personally would never run cracked software, but ABleton are pushing themselves more and more to people running illegit versions with their pricing policies. Yes, it's special, and has a niche, but that isn't a license to abuse the customer. So, in actual fact, even though I probably will upgrade (eventually), I don't see why I should STFU. I have a right to voice my opinion, I've bought the gear, done the online questionnaires they sent, contributed nearly 3000 posts (mostly on topic) in less than 3 years on this forum, upgraded to new versions previously and beta tested Live 7 and 8, so I've given something back to them Ableton need to know that they are putting off sales, putting off existing customers, and will be subject to more piracy.

They might not like to hear that, and I'm sure they will justify it, all we're asking for is some consideration in this grim period of economic turmoil. If they scrap edu pricing on Live 9 and the economy is in better shape by then, it's much less of a deal.
man first of all i agree with almost everything you are saying. But expensive/worth-every-penny thing is something different for me. Even if live cost 10.000 again for me is worthing every penny as it is a part of my life now (is taking the 1/3+. Sleep, eat, shit, live ;p)

second i joined Tue Mar 04, 2008 so im a registered user on the board for a year and a matter of weeks :p
But this is in not the case man, i used live to my school also and been a cubase user for 3 years before switching. Also i have pass from logic and pro-tools ( ok, m-powerer) so i have a clear opinion (100% mine not just running around forums and say what everybody else is saying). Of-course i miss lot of things after switching but the workflow is the #1 man. But ok this is an other story

Now for the update only. coloring - fades - grouping - multiband dynamics - limiter etc etc blabla is something that other daws have for years (and are some things i missed after switching). In my opinion all these should be updated slowly slowly from 7.01 to 7.15 but again this is an other story. 179 to get them or ill stay to 7 it is simple.
Last edited by IP on Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

z3r0

Post by z3r0 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:09 am

great. absolutely gutted that those that can buy the full version of live get a discount but us poor unemployed musos who can only afford the download get fek all for their loyalty :(. just proves that those that have the money make the money.

wehkah

Post by wehkah » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:14 am

yeah yeah, order upgrade now!

so nice new tool :)
Motto: sharing knowledge...

https://soundcloud.com/bytechop

z3r0

Post by z3r0 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:50 am

never ceases to amaze me that you will always find one in a bunch of nice people just waiting to start flaming an honest comment. go away!

maxmin

Post by maxmin » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:53 am

Just bought it and recognized that the interface reacts really slow. Moving buttons takes really long, there's an increased delay compared to version 7. Almost looks like the screen refresh rate would be low.
Anyone got this problem too?
Max Min | I make songs at http://www.hellomaxmin.com

mr.adl

Post by mr.adl » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:56 am

maxmin wrote:Just bought it and recognized that the interface reacts really slow. Moving buttons takes really long, there's an increased delay compared to version 7. Almost looks like the screen refresh rate would be low.
Anyone got this problem too?
Had this only the first time i open it. Try to restart Live.

andytheman

Post by andytheman » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:18 am

i got ableton 7 on 10th january. im actually going to cry lol.

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:25 am

Ordered the boxed suite & downloaded L8.

When attempting to open Live 8 for first time, get message-

Ableton Live-

X- A serious program error has occurred.

Live will shut down after this message box is closed.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

The beta version worked fine for me. I have re-installed etc but to no avail..........Shit!

Sleep on it and try again tomorrow. Anybody else having problems?

silveriofunk

Post by silveriofunk » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:47 pm

can't wait!

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:25 pm

Sibanger wrote:Ordered the boxed suite & downloaded L8.

Ableton Live-

The beta version worked fine for me. I have re-installed etc but to no avail..........Shit!

I'm guessing there's something in your L7 prefs/template that L8 does not like (that's where L8 full takes its setting from).
As your beta worked OK - go to your L8 beta preferences folder, copy the preferences.cfg and the template.als from there and paste them into your Live 8 full prefs folder.

did that make sense / work?

if it now works, post a copy of your faulty (L7) preferences.cfg and template.als to ableton and include an explanatory note

Mindseye

Post by Mindseye » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:09 pm

Upgraded this morning from 7 Suite to 8 Suite. Absolutely no problems! I have been anxious for this release for the Latin and Collision percussion sounds. I look forward to the Share feature as well for collaboration of sets. I have mapped my Zendrum midi controller and played all day. This is simply wonderful. A big heartfelt thank you to all the folks at Ableton. What the world needs now is more creativity...

with the Rhythm of Life,
Mindseye

oddeo

Post by oddeo » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:22 pm

Has anyone who recently converted to Suite 7 been able to get their free upgrade to Suite 8?

Any news or info on this would be appreciated.
Live Suite 12 / Push 3S / MacBook Pro M1 Max 64G RAM / SS Prophet 6 / Moog Minitaur / TR-8S / Zen Delay / BigSky / Yaeltex Custom / APC40 Mk2 / KeyLab Mk2 / BCR2000 / FCB 1010 / UA Apollo 8 / other random gear

NewSc2

Post by NewSc2 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:52 pm

Sibanger wrote:Ordered the boxed suite & downloaded L8.

Ableton Live-

This happened with me all the time in the beta. Instead of opening the default set, open a saved project, and make a new default template set.

NewSc2

Post by NewSc2 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:52 pm

oddeo wrote:Has anyone who recently converted to Suite 7 been able to get their free upgrade to Suite 8?

Any news or info on this would be appreciated.
No :(

Still waiting to hear from Ableton...