Stylus RMX users - Go download 1.8d!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
glitchrock-buddha

Stylus RMX users - Go download 1.8d!

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:02 pm

While you're waiting for your Live 8 suite download to finish, like me :wink: ...

Spectrasonics just updated RMX yet again with 1.8 which now has the same system for configuring which parameters are sent out to host automation, like omnisphere does. So now you can set whatever parameters to be shown to live and configure them how you like in the instrument device. woohoo!
Last edited by glitchrock-buddha on Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Professional Shark Jumper.

nepotist

Re: Stylus RMX users - Go download 1.8!

Post by nepotist » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:15 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote: So now you can set whatever parameters to be shown to live and configure them how you like in the instrument device. woohoo!
How does this work exactly, I'm intrigued!
The Sales Department
TWITTER
FACEBOOK
BANDCAMP Download "Airlock" free-10 songs recorded in 10 Days

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:51 pm

Well the problem with rmx before was that since it has so many parameters (20,000+ apparently), it had to limit what was available to host automation. So it only let you automate the controls on the mixer page - levels and sends basically. So now with Live 8, even though you can configure the order of parameters so that you can use them in clip envelopes/automation/rack macros, stylus rmx still didn't make any parameters avaliable to that except the mixer page. Now in stylus rmx itself, you can right-click a parameter and make it visible to host automation. This will allow it to show when you configure plug-in parameters in ableton.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:16 pm

This is good news. I'm currently reviewing 1.7 for the ALDJ site, and automation thing was a major complaint I had. Review posted shortly...

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:29 pm

I did! But the real question is who's engine is gonna groove more? The Abe's or Spec's. I'm gonna put a Samba groove on everything from now on!
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

nepotist

Post by nepotist » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:57 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote: This will allow it to show when you configure plug-in parameters in ableton.
ahhh i see, very cool. I have downloaded it...

edit: I can't seem to make it work, the "configure" tab says to click the parameter in the plug in menu but when I do that nothing happens? I've actually haven't had much success in the past getting it to MIDI Learn with my trigger finger either...
The Sales Department
TWITTER
FACEBOOK

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:45 pm

nepotist wrote:
glitchrock-buddha wrote: This will allow it to show when you configure plug-in parameters in ableton.
ahhh i see, very cool. I have downloaded it...

edit: I can't seem to make it work, the "configure" tab says to click the parameter in the plug in menu but when I do that nothing happens? I've actually haven't had much success in the past getting it to MIDI Learn with my trigger finger either...
Did you first enable those parameters in RMX 1.8?

I wasn't quite accurate before in my description. In RMX, you have to go to the utility menu, click midi learn > enable host automation, and then move the controls in RMX that you want to be visible to ableton. I had said right-click (That still might be possible, not sure). Then in ableton you can do the configure plug-in stuff.

I'm still waiting for my live 8 to download to confirm it all though...

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:47 pm

Anubis wrote:I did! But the real question is who's engine is gonna groove more? The Abe's or Spec's. I'm gonna put a Samba groove on everything from now on!

it's either sp-1200 or samba for me too. Rappers show off their chains, producers show off their timing!
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu

nepotist

Post by nepotist » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:31 am

OK thanks, got it working, that is awesome!
The Sales Department
TWITTER
FACEBOOK

jackmazzotti

Post by jackmazzotti » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:14 am

this can be done in omnisphere as well

IP

Post by IP » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:30 pm

excuse me everybody!
I cant understand, why using stylus etc when having drum racks ??...

Is it sounding better? more samples, FX, flexibility or just a personal taste?

Dont shot, im just asking.
Im very happy with drum racks and there no way to replace them (actually i replace battery after i got deeper into DR) but if im missing something big, i would like to know please :)

cheers..

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:24 pm

Try reading the review of Stylus RMX in soundonsound.com, it's MUCH different from Drum Racks.

IP

Post by IP » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:45 pm

Thanks Tarekith!
Just saw the demo vid from spectr. website and i fall Into Sleep (almost)
I think it does 99% the same things with a 99% different way!

I will read the sos review too! thanks again and sorry for the of-topic:)

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:02 pm

Edit groups, time and chaos designer are things that Stylus does that nothing in Live can do at all, drum racks or not. Not knocking Live's capabilities, just saying that Stylus can do some things that are quite unique and powerful.

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:29 pm

Tarekith wrote:Edit groups, Time and Chaos Designer are things that Stylus does that nothing in Live can do at all, drum racks or not. Not knocking Live's capabilities, just saying that Stylus can do some things that are quite unique and powerful.
Indeed, and the simplicity of the GUI to accomplish very intricate grooves can't be understated. The newest module Time Designer is what enticed me to take the leap. The simply knob is sooo powerful. And, in conjunction with time signature changes and the pattern changer, you can create completely unique variations from your existing "loops". This is particularly useful when used with a well sliced bass loop. You can create interesting bass part variations yet with the same tone and articulation. I just wish that (a company like)Nine Volt Audio made a DVD library of just pure bass (rex2)loops. They make the most meticulously sliced groves in the biz.

The advantages of Live's groove engine: The most important feature is that you can expand your groove library by extracting the "groove" of any audio or midi file and add it to the groove pool and library. This is very handy. With Stylus, you're limited to the factory-provided groove pool. Which albeit extensive, is still fixed. I don't think you can import new grooves and integrate them into the program. The other thing is that Stylus only accepts rex2 files for conversion before using with their instrument. And there are some glitches with their SAGE converter. You can use any audio source file with Live.
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes