ableton needs to be half the price

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
IP

Re: ableton needs to be half the price

Post by IP » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:40 pm

bpoteat wrote:
Meef Chaloin wrote:
IP wrote::lol:

Solutions for everybody
haha that's brilliant. I can't quite believe ableton is at the top of that list considering some of the names included
That comparison should be using Live 8 base, not Suite. Live is in the same price range as other DAWs.
No man, there are the top versions for every daw.

Logic for example has so many instruments and a huge library. You cant compare it with the simple live with no instruments at all
Last edited by IP on Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bpoteat

Post by bpoteat » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:52 pm

IP wrote:
bpoteat wrote: That comparison should be using Live 8 base, not Suite. Live is in the same price range as other DAWs.
No man, there are the top versions for every daw.

Logic for example has so many instruments and a huge library. You can compare it with the simple live with no instruments at all
You're right. It is a bit expensive just for the software. I guess it never seemed much for me because I never bought it straight up. Historically you could get LE versions of Live with lots of hardware and upgrade - don't know how that's changing with 8.

Salty P

Post by Salty P » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:53 pm

Ajbbklyn wrote:You don't like the price?
Don't buy.
What a great point, that's like when someone criticises their country and an inbred redneck responds with 'if you don't like it why don't you move to Russia'

I love Ableton but I think it's slightly overpriced when compared with the market, fortunately I work for a uni so I can get it at the educational price :D

bpoteat wrote:
That comparison should be using Live 8 base, not Suite. Live is in the same price range as other DAWs.
Why?

Logic studio comes with a ton of features (you could argue more than ableton) and is now under £300

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:01 pm

necho wrote: Oh and Meef - I believe you live just round the corner from me....
really?! how'd you know that?

ark

Post by ark » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:03 pm

This discussion reminds me of the Dilbert cartoon in which the pointy-haired boss says "We must always give the customers what they want!" and Dilbert replies "What the customers want is better products for free."

Ajbbklyn

Post by Ajbbklyn » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:08 pm

Salty P wrote:
Don't buy.
What a great point, that's like when someone criticises their country and an inbred redneck responds with 'if you don't like it why don't you move to Russia'
Not a particularly apt comparison. A purchasing decision doesn't rise to the standard of socio-political dissent being met with ignorant jingoism.

It's a simple rule of the market. No one can force you to buy a commodity if you don't agree to the price. Complaining accomplishes little. However, the decision to NOT buy speaks volumes.
Andy Baum
(nicht der österreichische Musiker)
http://andy-baum.com

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:15 pm

Ajbbklyn wrote:
Salty P wrote:
Don't buy.
Not a particularly apt comparison. A purchasing decision doesn't rise to the standard of socio-political dissent being met with ignorant jingoism.

It's a simple rule of the market. No one can force you to buy a commodity if you don't agree to the price. Complaining accomplishes little. However, the decision to NOT buy speaks volumes.
In my opinion, not buying AND telling the company why you're not doing it ("complaining" in your words) might just achieve even more. Telling people that they don't have to buy is just stating the obvious and a complete waste of time. Actually, it's about the same waste of time as me even responding to your post.

Ajbbklyn

Post by Ajbbklyn » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:21 pm

Thanks for sharing :)
Andy Baum
(nicht der österreichische Musiker)
http://andy-baum.com

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:26 pm

IP wrote::lol:

Solutions for everybody
Holy crapings, i have been upgrading since live 3, a little bit at a time, its kind of odd to think that 8 is now that much for the suite, makes me feel big and important, when actually that couldnt be further from the truth. glad i went for the suite now, i can invite the ladies round and show them how cool and rich i am...... :|

evon

Post by evon » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:34 pm

It's a simple rule of the market. No one can force you to buy a commodity if you don't agree to the price. Complaining accomplishes little. However, the decision to NOT buy speaks volumes
more pecisesly.."the decision NOT to buy in volumes speaks" :mrgreen:
So thats why it is good to speak to each other in order to get the volumes.
Mr. Deft should be fuming red by now :mrgreen:
fe real!

Sage

Post by Sage » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:45 pm

Logic and Pro Tools require specific hardware, so the companies make money from you twice, hence why they can be cheaper, all the other there are about the same price as Ableton, maybe not Suite, but all the synths included with that aren't necessary.

six_o_clock_crow
Location: Portsmouth: small town near Havant & Waterlooville, UK

Post by six_o_clock_crow » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:50 pm

Salty P wrote:Why?

Logic studio comes with a ton of features (you could argue more than ableton) and is now under £300
True, but I personally would need to spend a lot of money on a Mac to be able to run it. It isn't a fair comparison.
HARDWARE:
Vaio laptop / M-Audio Transit / Zoom H2 /
Alesis M1 Active 520's / Sennheiser EH2200's
Behringer BCR2000 / misc. instruments & toys

SOFTWARE:
Live 7 / Sound Forge Audio Studio

Ball Sack

Post by Ball Sack » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:56 pm

Im sure that a half price bug would be introduced if that happened.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:03 pm

six_o_clock_crow wrote:
Salty P wrote:Why?

True, but I personally would need to spend a lot of money on a Mac to be able to run it. It isn't a fair comparison.
it's not fair anyway, ableton has one single product, most others have many, so they can have a totally different price policy. especially apple they want to sell hardware, they don't care about selling software, at least not in a economy sense.
*** Image GAFM ***

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:10 pm

Ajbbklyn wrote:Thanks for sharing :)
Welcome :)