pricing makes no sense to me

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Zerobae

pricing makes no sense to me

Post by Zerobae » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:52 am

let me start by saying i'll upgrade to live 8 anyway, because it's fantastic. i don't really mind upgrade fees are higher this time, because the update is big, too.

yet i can't figure out the pricing scheme and that's what's holding me back from purchasing now: it seems like there's glitches in the pricing that have to be ironed out, and i don't want to buy today if ableton may come up with new prices next week or something.

one example: in my case, upgrading from live 7 to live 8 suite boxed is EUR 249.-. the boxed suite of course including all instruments, from operator to essential instruments collection. but there's another "offer": if i just upgrade from live 7 to live 8 boxed (no suite) AND get the essential instruments collection (but nothing else), it's EUR 278.-, thirty euros more for less. makes no sense, does it?

an official word on if ableton is still working on a better pricing scheme or if this is definitive would be very much appreciated...

Johnisfaster

Re: pricing makes no sense to me

Post by Johnisfaster » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:54 am

I wouldn't hold your breath for new pricing, they've been doing this a while now and probably thought it through before posting the prices.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Zerobae

Post by Zerobae » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:59 am

i'm not complaining it's too pricey, but it makes no sense: i get two offers, where one gives me less for more money. it can't be fully thought through.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:03 am

oh I'm not saying it makes sense, I'm just saying I wouldn't hold my breath

seriously though I'd go for the suite, don't even get the box. it's the best value.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

arachnaut

Post by arachnaut » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:13 am

Johnisfaster wrote:oh I'm not saying it makes sense, I'm just saying I wouldn't hold my breath

seriously though I'd go for the suite, don't even get the box. it's the best value.
But the box has the stickers! I couldn't wait to slap something over that laptop apple logo.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:15 am

arachnaut wrote:
Johnisfaster wrote:oh I'm not saying it makes sense, I'm just saying I wouldn't hold my breath

But the box has the stickers! I couldn't wait to slap something over that laptop apple logo.
spend more time using the computer and less time worrying about what company made it ;)

bendybones

Post by bendybones » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:58 am

Zerobae wrote:makes no sense, does it?
It makes perfect sense!
buy a package = pay less
buy seperates = pay more

All things are sold this way.

The fact that $[eic + Live8] > $[boxed suite] is only testament to the price break given for buying the whole kit and caboodle together.
MBP 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.5.8, Live 8 Suite, Logic Studio 9, Ultralite Mk3

Zerobae

Post by Zerobae » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:05 am

it's not seperates. it's a package on my personal upgrade page...

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:23 am

Where the lowest is a fixed price for anybody, the top offer discounts the stuff you already own.
If you owned less Live instruments (or none), the upgrade would cost you about 350€.