Is Live 8 trustworthy ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nixt

Is Live 8 trustworthy ?

Post by nixt » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:37 am

Hi everybody,

I bought live 8 yesterday (upgrade from 7). Worked with it a big part of the night and it works pretty well on my desktop computer (G5 2x2Ghz- 6Go ram) except for a few long waits to open the first livesets (very long), more CPU usage in general I think, and I must say a few crashes too when doing operations "on the fly" like dragging a multiband compressor on a track when live is playing... It happened several times during the night and once I feared to lose what I was working on because when I was asked if I wanted to recover my work, it opened the liveset before quitting immediatly again. I must say it was extremely rare to see live 7 crash and I was wondering if Live 8 was really reliable and trustworthy for use in a live performance yet...
I don't mind using Live 7.0.14 for my live performances if somebody tells me it's safer but this is still a problem as I make my tracks on the desktop computer before exporting them for the liveset on my laptop. I don't think Live 7 can open Live 8 files or even import tracks, can it ? I like the improvements in Live 8 and I just hope that I didn't buy it too soon and that I will have to keep on working on 7 for a few more months... Maybe my little issues of the night are just "normal" as it was a first use and the software and my mac need to know eachother.

Thanks for your info concerning the general reliability of the software and the compatibility between live 7 and live 8...
By the way, do you know if it's safe to install live 8 and live 7 on the same machine (specially a laptop) ?

Thanks...

Emissary

Re: Is Live 8 trustworthy ?

Post by Emissary » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:44 am

Live 7 will be far more stable, i havent had a crash with 8 yet, but its probably got some bugs here and there.

blank

Post by blank » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:56 am

First release of version seven was way more buggy and as you can see it became pretty stable after a while.

You better stay with 7 for a live set imho and wait for 8 to be more mature
feug.net -:- virb.com/feug

rarelyseen

Post by rarelyseen » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:56 am

I'd never buy or even rely on the newest release of a software. There are always bugs. I'd stick with Live 7 and jump on 8 after the first few updates. Same with computers. Never buy the new stuff. Let the others be the donkeys.

nixt wrote: I don't think Live 7 can open Live 8 files or even import tracks, can it ?
No.

Edit: you can of course import audio files which you exported from 8, but you can't open a whole Live 8 set in 7.

nixt wrote: By the way, do you know if it's safe to install live 8 and live 7 on the same machine (specially a laptop) ?
Should be no problem. Just be careful with the library. I'd use separate folders for each version's library.

nixt

Post by nixt » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:24 pm

Thanks for the answers :)

I also have the feeling that v8 is more demanding in terms of CPU. That would suck if I had to stay with 7 for live performances because of this issue, as I will probably use v8 to produce my tracks. I need to be commpatible between the stage and the studio...

Anyone has some info concerning the cpu usage difference between the 2 versions ?

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:19 pm

i have noticed a higher cpu consumption aswell, even when having the same devices and the same sets on both versions. i was hoping this would be resolved when the beta was done, but it wasnt.

condra

Post by condra » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:03 pm

I upgraded to 8 but I'll probably be sticking to 7 for DJ'ing.

Nikos T

Post by Nikos T » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:51 pm

Mine was running for about 5 hours at a gig last night with no problem. Also been using it for produciton (of course) without any issues. I'd say it's safe to use so far.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:00 pm

I went to walk the dog and Live 8 drank all the beer in my fridge.
Can't truss dis

dcease

Post by dcease » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:14 pm

beta was more stable, for me. not that i perform live, but i wouldn't personally trust it. and the release seems MORE cpu intensive then the beta was... a couple of sets i made with the beta wouldn't run without some freezing <shrugs shoulders>

i knew what i was getting myself into :wink:

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:13 am

Live is a tad more cpu hungry, but nothing too crazy. About 4% added to the Live 7 performance test in most cases.

It is a bit more crashy then Live 7 still though. I'm not sure that I would trust it completely on stage yet.
Professional Shark Jumper.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:31 am

I would not trust in on stage yet. I had it run for about 8 hours with no problems, but earlier today and last night it crashed on me a total of 3 times, and another occasion the audio stopped going to the master.

Wait for 8.02 before performing live.

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:45 am

I've found 8.0.1 to be extremely buggy and sluggish. Even the betas were quicker and more stable

Good thing I still kept 7 installed. Although I already started a few projects using some of the new effects (i.e., Overdrive). Kind of sucks thinking that I'll have to wait to finish those projects when some of the initial bugs are ironed out.