Fast Track Pro Setup and Midi Controller Questions

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
KeizerSoze

Fast Track Pro Setup and Midi Controller Questions

Post by KeizerSoze » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:16 pm

i'm a noob to Ableton and was wondering if i could get some help here?

1. Can someone PLEASE walk me throught the setup process for Ableton & Fast Track Pro? i've tried every configuration i can thing of and searched hi and low for an answer on this forum and nothing! i have no audio.

2. i have a Vestax VCI-100 / i know it may seem odd, could i use this with Ableton? is there a mid learn option in this software?

3. i wanna get an Akai MPD24 cuz i don't have the money for a VCI600. i know the MPD24 is mostly used for beat making, but i plan on DJing with lots of loops. am i missing out not getting the VCI600?

Tone Deft

Re: Fast Track Pro Setup and Midi Controller Questions

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:36 pm

well, help us out...

how far have you gotten? can you see any activity in Live? what settings have you applied?

you want some poor slob to write out a manual for you? we help for free, help us help you.

short, concise answers really help.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Nikos T

Post by Nikos T » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:42 pm

Which operating system do you use, and have you installed the drivers? Drivers exist for both Windows and Mac OS and can be found on the M-Audio site.

After the drivers are installed, in your Ableton Preferences, make sure Driver type is set to ASIO (Windows) or CoreAudio (Mac) then select the Fast Track Pro as your Audio Output Device. Make sure the outputs are enabled in the Output Config.

KeizerSoze

Post by KeizerSoze » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:06 pm

i apologize for being so vague.

i was fooling around with it and managed to get audio via Fast Track. through trial and error, i came up with this:

not sure if this is accurate or needs some tweaking...sounds ok to me. what do you guys think? any other option either produced no sound or sound with crackling and distortion.

also? what about midi controllers? i have a Vestax VCI-100. could i somehow use a midi learn feature to configure this with Ableton? i want to do this in the meantime before i buy a specific controller for Ableton. the MPD24 looks like a nice one. would that be sufficient if i'm attempting to use it for DJing and not so much for beatmaking?

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:04 pm

1) for your audio problem... you seem to output the sound in spdif, to what monitors / console???

we generally output with RCAs or Jacks to our monitors thru a console or not, perhap's is your problem here???

do your soundcard output any sound with winamp or other apps?
do you live set file output any sound when using your laptop internal soundcard? (eeeh, is it a laptop? what computer do you have?)

2) midi / vestax

Ableton has a midi learn feature. Read your manual please.

VCI100 is a standard midi controller, so no problem using it with live. go fo it, you'll have fun, much more if you're kind of deejaying with 2 tracks, and EQs and fader, send fxs... if you absolutely want to trigger lots of clips, go for a launchpad. Padkontrol is great, but now that launchpad is released...

if it's only for djing, stay with you vci 100, it's rock solid, dj-friendly layout, stable and reliable. you don't need 64 pads, you don't even need pads.

you got everything you need.

just read your manual and you'll be really smarter :wink: