Oh please bring back the old warping functionality.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
3dot...

Re: Oh please bring back the old warping functionality.

Post by 3dot... » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:39 pm

new way rocks !!! old way sucks !!! new 'beats' mode rules !!! old 'beats' is for tools...

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:50 pm

earsmack wrote:Hopefully the programmer responsible for warping #ifdef'd the old code out :-)
It was suggested somewhere by someone that the new interface ties in with changes warping engine and that there's no way to give the option beyond reimplementing the old look.
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

mr lovely

Post by mr lovely » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:54 pm

noisetonepause wrote:
earsmack wrote:Hopefully the programmer responsible for warping #ifdef'd the old code out :-)
It was suggested somewhere by someone that the new interface ties in with changes warping engine and that there's no way to give the option beyond reimplementing the old look.
...but they still could just show the frigging timeline without reverting to the old warp engine.

JAMM

Post by JAMM » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:18 am

i like both....why not bring the old back in so you can choose.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:28 am

I massively prefer the old way, and I've spent A LOT of time with the new way. For producing or those new to the app, I admit it makes more sense. But from a performing aspect, it's a lot of steps backwards. No more being able to see bar/beat numbering as mentioned, loss of the timeline at the bottom, now we have to hold shift on the BOTTOM of the waveform to scroll (WTF, why not on top at least?), and transient detection still isn't close enough to trust for DJing. If I still have to go in and adjust all the marker to line things up tightly, I don't care if it's better, it's still the same amount of work for me, if not MORE work now. And it's not a question of getting used to it, for DJing at least, the old way was a LOT better.

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:30 am

I vote for the old way as well. Eventually I'll get used to the new method I guess. Right now I'm more interested in just getting Live 8 to run properly, period.

sunrahrahrah

Post by sunrahrahrah » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:08 am

I just tried it and I really don't see the problem. I used to do it all by hand:

find the first beat, put a warp marker there
make a four bar loop
scroll through the track, and watch where the beat deviates or shifts away from the loop - see which direction it deviates to the right or the left
follow it, put a warp marker on the beat (as far to the end of the track as you can) to bring the whole track back in line

then personally I like to go back and put a marker on each of the big transitions in tracks, it helps me set things up when djing

I can do exactly the same thing with the new method and get good results.

Here is an example of a track warped with the new method

and here zoomed in to see how I deal with transients. I've always preferred to put the marker in the 'belly' of the first large drop in the waveform. Not at the zero crossing like some people prefer to. But I've done this always, so my tracks are always perfect.

and here later on in the same track. you see how they relate to each other

this isnt rocket science. and when you get used it this takes about a minute, if that.

sunrahrahrah

Post by sunrahrahrah » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:10 am

ps this is why I wanted the ability to CHANGE THE COLOUR OF THE WARP MARKERS

such a simple thing to implement, and this would let you for instance make your
huge transition or important drop a RED marker for instance, so it stood out.

not the end of the world and I still get along fine but it would have been nice.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:33 am

i really love the new way of warping.
with previous versions of live i would get so frustrated with warping that i would just end up doing it manually (which meant a lot of duplicating tale ends of tracks to compensate for silence).
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

buzby

Post by buzby » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:26 am

i agree that not being able to see a time line or beat bar numbering anymore is a surprise and not too smart IMHumbleO - its seems to be a fundamental necessity to know where you are in a track .. !!!

scrolling through a track and only on the bottom part of the wave also might be a pain at first but not too difficult a habit to get into i think - also if you are using mac you dont have to hold down the shift or cmd+alt to scroll, luckily you can just use the 2 fingers on the pad and swoosh sideways method

personally i much prefer the new warping, so far i ve found it very easy to use and cant see the abes reverting to the old system unless they include it as an option and being able to colour warp markers or even name them would be an excellent idea (also multiple loop braces)- i think a bit of hassling the abes will time line and beat/bar numbering come back ....
https://hiddensound.net/
https://linktr.ee/hiddensound
Sound Devices mix pre 3 and 10Tii, various Sennheiser mkh, dpa, LOM, Audio Technica microphones

kb420

Post by kb420 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:04 am

I haven't upgraded yet, but are you guys serious about the old warp marker mode being gone?

Why would they do that? Why not make the new mode a new option and just keep the old mode anyway?
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

JAMM

Post by JAMM » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:41 am

i want to see the beatcounts numbers inside the yellow warppoints just like the old warppoints.

buzby

Post by buzby » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:43 am

yeah its gone in a way but i think a lot people like the new way

i think it is a little bit the same about most things that get changed - a lot of the time the new way seems worse until you ve got used to it

well .... i speak only for my use of the warping - i love it - been beta testing 8 and having to use 7 again until i can afford the upgrade and im not enjoying going back to the old system

but yeah i wanna see the beat counts and time line too - that does nt make sense to me
https://hiddensound.net/
https://linktr.ee/hiddensound
Sound Devices mix pre 3 and 10Tii, various Sennheiser mkh, dpa, LOM, Audio Technica microphones

jonny72

Post by jonny72 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:23 pm

A lot of people seem to have issues with the changes to the interface, which I can understand. But when it comes to the actual warping system (auto warping, transient detection etc) you can still warp the same way in Live 8 as you could / did in Live 7. All that's changed in that regard is the addition of transient detection, not sure how anyone can complain about additional functionality that you don't have to use.

Some of the interface changes do seem a bit stupid though, and probably should have been addressed by now.
MacBook Pro 13" Early 2011 - OS X 10.7.4

kb420

Post by kb420 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:17 am

buzby wrote:yeah its gone in a way but i think a lot people like the new way

i think it is a little bit the same about most things that get changed - a lot of the time the new way seems worse until you ve got used to it

well .... i speak only for my use of the warping - i love it - been beta testing 8 and having to use 7 again until i can afford the upgrade and im not enjoying going back to the old system

but yeah i wanna see the beat counts and time line too - that does nt make sense to me

I feel like they should have left the engine the way it was completely, and then added the new features in a way that you could switch back and forth if you choose to.

Many of us like the old engine and interface.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-