Oh please bring back the old warping functionality.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kb420

Re: Oh please bring back the old warping functionality.

Post by kb420 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:17 am

buzby wrote:yeah its gone in a way but i think a lot people like the new way

i think it is a little bit the same about most things that get changed - a lot of the time the new way seems worse until you ve got used to it

well .... i speak only for my use of the warping - i love it - been beta testing 8 and having to use 7 again until i can afford the upgrade and im not enjoying going back to the old system

but yeah i wanna see the beat counts and time line too - that does nt make sense to me

I feel like they should have left the engine the way it was completely, and then added the new features in a way that you could switch back and forth if you choose to.

Many of us like the old engine and interface.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

buzby

Post by buzby » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:39 pm

understand your point but it is ofcourse there will be some people who prefer the new system better and some who prefer the old - whatever they do to the warping or many other features in live - it will never be possible to please everyone

cheers
https://hiddensound.net/
https://linktr.ee/hiddensound
Sound Devices mix pre 3 and 10Tii, various Sennheiser mkh, dpa, LOM, Audio Technica microphones

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:43 pm

The auto detect of transients on the new live is awesome.

Wouldn't hurt to be able to choose which way tho.

4ace

Post by 4ace » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:13 am

mr lovely wrote:If you look at the Live 7 clip below (from the ableton website) you'll see how each of the warp markers that are placed in Live 7 clearly show the bar number and position. When playing songs with breaks in unusual palces (e.g. bar 57) it is useful to be able to easily count how far away you are for looping other bits over the top.

In Live 8 you can't see this - only a yellow box somewhere along the overall warpline.

IMHO the new interface gives me a lot less info visually - warp markers (top) and timeline (bottom).

This is exactly the reason 8's way of doing it SUCKS!

I liked the way clip view's had a frickin' GRID. When audio was recorded you could easily move to your 1's or downbeats.

I HATE THE WAY 8 HANDLES THIS! It tells you where IT thinks you need to be! WTF.

TRY using the set 1.1.1 command and see where the damn things lands........thats right.......NOT ON THE 1
MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 2Gb
OS X.5.7 | MOTU Ultralite | Live 8 | Ableton Drum Machine's | Addictive Drums | Conectiv+ Torq | Ms. Pinky | AudioDamage

4ace

Post by 4ace » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:21 am

mr lovely wrote:
noisetonepause wrote:
earsmack wrote:Hopefully the programmer responsible for warping #ifdef'd the old code out :-)
It was suggested somewhere by someone that the new interface ties in with changes warping engine and that there's no way to give the option beyond reimplementing the old look.
...but they still could just show the frigging timeline without reverting to the old warp engine.

EXACTLY
MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 2Gb
OS X.5.7 | MOTU Ultralite | Live 8 | Ableton Drum Machine's | Addictive Drums | Conectiv+ Torq | Ms. Pinky | AudioDamage

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:42 am

4ace wrote:TRY using the set 1.1.1 command and see where the damn things lands........thats right.......NOT ON THE 1
Isn't the command called Set 1.1.1 *HERE*? Since that's what it does? You click where you want the one to go. Simple.
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

Dalibor Loncar

Post by Dalibor Loncar » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:29 am

some users really should rtfm

i like the new warping method accompanied by the fixed timeline very much for both producing and djing.

especially the new beats and the new complex pro warping algorithms are ace for sound design.

one example in complex pro mode: load a vocal sample and pitch it up/down +/- 12 semitones for example. then play with the formants and envelope settings and listen. for an a/b sound comparison switch in the old complex mode. amazing, eh?

the only thing i don´t "understand" is the autodetected placement of the so called "transients". for me they´re no real transients. when i warp a complete song in live8 i have to do the same as i did in version 7 and have to align the warp markers to the percussive transients (the ones with a sharp attack phase), but mainly because for djing i warp electronic dance music tracks. imho the automatic "transient" detection is more for tonal events than strictly for percussive stuff.

the only downside (for me!!!) are the revised zoom function placements in the waveform display of the sample view.
Last edited by Dalibor Loncar on Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

4ace

Post by 4ace » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:39 pm

noisetonepause wrote:
4ace wrote:TRY using the set 1.1.1 command and see where the damn things lands........thats right.......NOT ON THE 1
Isn't the command called Set 1.1.1 *HERE*? Since that's what it does? You click where you want the one to go. Simple.
Simple? That would mean it work's J.O.

The fact that the auto transient detection leaps in and "helps" place you means that set 1.1.1 HERE. REALLY means it's setting it where it "thinks" it should be. NOT necessarily on the one.

I prefer there being a grid in clip view that's relative to the main seq. grid THAT'S ALL.

Live 8 F¨!‰'s that all up!
MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 2Gb

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:46 pm

New is better.

Drop 50 songs in Live 8. Warp them all in one go. You'll learn to like it.
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:50 pm

4ace wrote:
noisetonepause wrote:
Simple? That would mean it work's J.O.

The fact that the auto transient detection leaps in and "helps" place you means that set 1.1.1 HERE. REALLY means it's setting it where it "thinks" it should be. NOT necessarily on the one.

I prefer there being a grid in clip view that's relative to the main seq. grid THAT'S ALL.

Live 8 F¨!‰'s that all up!
You clearly have no idea what the functionality of *Set 1.1.1 Here* does. It's not some auto-find-it-for-you function. It gives YOU complete control to put the marker where YOU WANT 1.1.1 TO BE. It's the opposite of auto-warping, or transient detection, or any sort Let The Program Do The Work For You. It let's YOU fix what Live thinks is the 1.

Don't rant about shit you have no idea what it's supposed to do.
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

Dalibor Loncar

Post by Dalibor Loncar » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:56 pm

i assume he knows what the "Set 1.1.1 Here" command does. his problem seems to be the autodetected placement of the transients live 8 estimated after analyzing the audio file.

but i also proceed on the assumption that he definitely missed the SHIFT / LEFT CLICK (sorry, pc user;) function where you can align the pseudo warp marker to a real transient. that is what i am talking about in my post before.
Last edited by Dalibor Loncar on Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

4ace

Post by 4ace » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:54 pm

[/quote]

You clearly have no idea what the functionality of *Set 1.1.1 Here* does. It's not some auto-find-it-for-you function. It gives YOU complete control to put the marker where YOU WANT 1.1.1 TO BE. It's the opposite of auto-warping, or transient detection, or any sort Let The Program Do The Work For You. It let's YOU fix what Live thinks is the 1.

Don't rant about shit you have no idea what it's supposed to do.[/quote]

And You CLEARLY don't comprehend what I'm saying ! I've been a Live user since ver. 4, I'm Pretty sure i understand the workings of Live.

And i'm pretty sure ver. 8 isn't working the same as ver. 7,...... i think everyone understands that.

Read BEFORE you moderate.
MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 2Gb

kb420

Post by kb420 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:25 am

4ace wrote: And You CLEARLY don't comprehend what I'm saying ! I've been a Live user since ver. 4, I'm Pretty sure i understand the workings of Live.

And i'm pretty sure ver. 8 isn't working the same as ver. 7,...... i think everyone understands that.

I understand what you are saying. I just turned the grid "off" and that let me put markers anywhere I wanted to.

Does that help?
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

4ace

Post by 4ace » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:18 am

kb420 wrote:
4ace wrote: And You CLEARLY don't comprehend what I'm saying ! I've been a Live user since ver. 4, I'm Pretty sure i understand the workings of Live.

I understand what you are saying. I just turned the grid "off" and that let me put markers anywhere I wanted to.

Does that help?
Yes and No

Basically if the beat grid was there this would all be avoided.

Try this : Turn off auto warp drop a song in a track go to clip view pick a number at random and set a warp marker. Then ZOOM IN and see where that warp marker actually is.

It isn't on the number you selected it's off!

Not only that!......Once you Do select to SET 1.1.1 HERE try putting a 4 bar loop starting there and then try sliding that loop via the marker.

Moving the bracket itself would be fine IF the command to set 1.1.1 Here actually worked.
MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 2Gb