portable cart/table that can "close" for no tear down?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sburke1

portable cart/table that can "close" for no tear down?

Post by sburke1 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:01 pm

Hello, is there a cart or table, that has some sort of ability to have a lid. SO that I could keep my rig set up and never tear down?

It takes me a while to set up everything at gigs and this would save time, and prevent me from having to bring a million different boxes.
I want to set up a bunch of midi controllers, kaos pad, interface, keyboards, mics, etc, all wired. And just wheel something in to the gig and BAM.

The ideal cart I am thinking of would have legs that come off so I could fit it in a car easier, maybe even with wheels. It would have holes for easy cabling. Maybe even a way to lock the lid so I could leave it around at gigs easier. The lid would be strong too so I could put stuff on top of it in the car. Thanks.
Macbook Pro 15'' 2.6 ghz 4GB ram, zero sl, kaos pad, microkorg, roctron banshee, rhodes, clav, motif, fc300

www.myspace.com/samburkecambridge
www.youtube.com/samburkevideo

4ace

Re: portable cart/table that can "close" for no tear down?

Post by 4ace » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:17 pm

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/p ... 532433.jpg

+

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... n%26sa%3DG

Something Like This?

I've got a similar rig with everything pre wired and ready to go. All i do is Plug into an outlet run my audio out's to the house PA and i'm up and rockin'!

Love It!
MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 2Gb
OS X.5.7 | MOTU Ultralite | Live 8 | Ableton Drum Machine's | Addictive Drums | Conectiv+ Torq | Ms. Pinky | AudioDamage

TITBAG

Post by TITBAG » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:24 pm

sburke1

Post by sburke1 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:28 pm

4ace wrote:http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/p ... 532433.jpg

+

Something Like This?

I've got a similar rig with everything pre wired and ready to go. All i do is Plug into an outlet run my audio out's to the house PA and i'm up and rockin'!

Love It!

Hey 4 ace, do you use traditional dj gear or do you use more stuff(midi controllers, etc)? I dont know if that coffin case type thing is big enough for what i need.
Macbook Pro 15'' 2.6 ghz 4GB ram, zero sl, kaos pad, microkorg, roctron banshee, rhodes, clav, motif, fc300

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:32 pm

maybe gaetting a flightcase done... loads of places are not to expensive... if you go for a B-case (thinner wood and smaller metal corners, etc. = Lighter!)

they are usually solid enough...
*** Image GAFM ***

ThrowAway

Post by ThrowAway » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:41 pm

for 40 bucks an hour plus materials I know someone who will build you a totally locking aluminum cart to any specs you want.

ThrowAway

Post by ThrowAway » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:43 pm

by next winter Ill be doing the same, I just dont have 4gs to drop on a welding machine.

sburke1

Post by sburke1 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:24 pm

How much would friend charge? I guess that means how many hours do think this would take. Where is he located?

I own a motif8, with a big sk8 case. I just thought that the case is similar to what im looking seeing that it could close, have stuff packed on top. Drilling holes in it wouldnt be too hard and I could velcro the entire bottom.

The problem is that the way the case opens up it would block the view. Also the case is very expensive, over 300 I think still. Also I would stilling to need to bring a table but that wouldnt be the end of the world seeing the amount of time I would save by having everything hooked up ready to go.

I still hope that there a DJ style cart like the first link, but something with more real estate. Either that or if someone knows a place that would make one custom for a couple hundred bucks or less.

4ace

Post by 4ace » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:42 pm

sburke1 wrote:
4ace wrote:http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/p ... 532433.jpg

+

Something Like This?

Love It!

Hey 4 ace, do you use traditional dj gear or do you use more stuff(midi controllers, etc)? I dont know if that coffin case type thing is big enough for what i need.
Mines got a tech 1200 on the right hand side ,mixer in the middle ,soon to be APC 40 on the Left along with a trigger finger and Oxygen 8 above that!

SWEETNESS!
MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 2Gb
OS X.5.7 | MOTU Ultralite | Live 8 | Ableton Drum Machine's | Addictive Drums | Conectiv+ Torq | Ms. Pinky | AudioDamage

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:58 pm

I think a modified DJ coffin would be the route to go. Maybe remove the dividers in the middle. Also they have coffins that have a laptop shelf and that should be a quick set up.

And you don't need to bring a table. A simple keyboard stand will do the trick.

ThrowAway

Post by ThrowAway » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:54 am

sburke1 wrote:How much would friend charge? I guess that means how many hours do think this would take. Where is he located?

I own a motif8, with a big sk8 case. I just thought that the case is similar to what im looking seeing that it could close, have stuff packed on top. Drilling holes in it wouldnt be too hard and I could velcro the entire bottom.

The problem is that the way the case opens up it would block the view. Also the case is very expensive, over 300 I think still. Also I would stilling to need to bring a table but that wouldnt be the end of the world seeing the amount of time I would save by having everything hooked up ready to go.

I still hope that there a DJ style cart like the first link, but something with more real estate. Either that or if someone knows a place that would make one custom for a couple hundred bucks or less.
He lives in tampa. He was my welding teacher and it depends on what you want. Im thinking something totally different than whats being proposed by other repliers. I was thinking a rolling tower with layers each having a lock and pin system custom fitted like drawers for each piece of gear so that each piece of gear could stay hooked up but could be taken apart and set up on stage. you could also make it where you could slide a piece of plexi glass down the front face and have the top lock it in place for temporary security but still look nice especially if it could be designed to show off your gear. But I wasnt thinking of large controller when i was picturing this in my mind. This level of customization needed would be costly and probably impractical. If you want to know what can be done, go down to your local tech school and talk to the welding teacher.

sburke1

Post by sburke1 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:29 pm

ThrowAway wrote:
sburke1 wrote:How much would friend charge? I guess that means how many hours do think this would take. Where is he located?

He lives in tampa. He was my welding teacher and it depends on what you want. Im thinking something totally different than whats being proposed by other repliers. I was thinking a rolling tower with layers each having a lock and pin system custom fitted like drawers for each piece of gear so that each piece of gear could stay hooked up but could be taken apart and set up on stage. you could also make it where you could slide a piece of plexi glass down the front face and have the top lock it in place for temporary security but still look nice especially if it could be designed to show off your gear. But I wasnt thinking of large controller when i was picturing this in my mind. This level of customization needed would be costly and probably impractical. If you want to know what can be done, go down to your local tech school and talk to the welding teacher.

Thanks for the tip man! I will go find a welder if I cant find what I want on the net.

The compartments would be nice, but I dont even want to have to take the pieces of gear out every time. I want everything ready to go in one central table like area. I want to take this thing to rehearsal, home to practice, and to gigs all the time and dont want to compartmentalize anything.

I dont really have any large controllers, I am looking to fit
1 zero sl
2 microkorg
3 rocktron banshee
4 kaos pad
5 presonus firestudio project
6 macbook pro
7 power strips

Any other ideas? Thanks.

ThrowAway

Post by ThrowAway » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:41 am

Get a large piece of paper and sketch out what you want. Set your gear out on it and get a to scale representation of it.

You could use a bunch of different materials ie wood, metal, glass. Im partial to aluminum because its light, It would soak up and disperse the heat from the gear better than anything else that could be used realistically and I just plain love metal stuff. You could run lights or fans through out it. Put vibration pads in each compartment and on the bottom. If I was ever good enough to play out I would go crazy with this.

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:16 am

this is such a good idea dude.

hit it!
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

cosmosuave

Post by cosmosuave » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:54 pm

I've heard of some guys using gun cases for their gear...
MD SPS-1 DARKENERGY JX-3P (PG200) Mbase01
http://soundcloud.com/cosmosuave
http://www.cosmosuave.com/