Anyone using Live for experimental/non-rhythmic music?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
oblique strategies

Re: Anyone using Live for experimental/non-rhythmic music?

Post by oblique strategies » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:41 pm

Robert Henke wrote:Simpler / Sampler are great tools for creating texture loops that can be triggered in session view. Trick: use a clip containing "endless" notes.
How to: note start before clip loop start, note end after clip loop end -> result: triggering that clip will create a note that is active as long as that clip is playing.

Also the new looper is great for textures too. And creative usage of the warper in arranger / session is fun. And if you turn the quantisaton off, you can adjust the length of a clip in fractions of a beat.

As far as the future is concerned: Unwarped looping is on our wishlist too. And a follow action "on clip end"...

I use Live 50% of the time for non beat grid music.

Robert
Interesting tips -thank you. As for the future: good news -help is on the way!

Do you know if these other issues will be addressed:

Clip envelopes for un-warped clips.

Follow Actions: time field for "on clip end"
Add to the "on clip end" a time field expressed as 00:00:00 for hours: minutes: seconds so that a time delay (silence) can be inserted before the follow action is executed.

Arrange View Recording Issue
If I have a number of un-warped clips playing in the Session view, & then hit record, the recording in the Arrange window start recording the clips at the beginning of each clip, rather than starting where each individual clips play head was actually located when I hit record. This results in the Arrangement not matching the clip order that was playing in the Session.

I can get the clips to record where the play head is actually located in the clip if I set the clips to warp. Why can’t I just record the clips playing in the Session window at the current position of the play head within the clips?

This is a major problem when you are recording your improvisational session in Arrange view to save it for additional work or refinement. It is another one of the issues caused by Live catering to loops rather than non-looped digital audio.

33tetragammon

Re: Anyone using Live for experimental/non-rhythmic music?

Post by 33tetragammon » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:07 am

Robert Henke wrote:Simpler / Sampler are great tools for creating texture loops that can be triggered in session view. Trick: use a clip containing "endless" notes.
How to: note start before clip loop start, note end after clip loop end -> result: triggering that clip will create a note that is active as long as that clip is playing.

Also the new looper is great for textures too. And creative usage of the warper in arranger / session is fun. And if you turn the quantisaton off, you can adjust the length of a clip in fractions of a beat.

As far as the future is concerned: Unwarped looping is on our wishlist too. And a follow action "on clip end"...

I use Live 50% of the time for non beat grid music.

Robert
thanks Robert,i will try that tip out.might just be what i'm looking for.