Group Buy: Aether Reverb

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
elxicano

Re: Group Buy: Aether Reverb

Post by elxicano » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:36 am

@ kb420... Group Buy pricing aside, it's selling for $249, but soon after the price will be raised to $350.

I know there's a lot of CSR followers, but I've never been impressed by what I heard and always looked at Arts Acoustic as one of the benchmarks for decent software reverb, which is priced over $200. In my opinion, this is better than Arts Acoustic Reverb. I'm not saying I'd be jumping up to pay $350, but I am saying I'm not walking away from the chance to pick this one up at an insanely low price, especially when considering who they're competing with (quality & price wise).

This of course being my opinion... so I'm saying I like this better than CSR, but there's a demo to try out too.

I still will probably buy 112db's Redline Reverb, as that too is extremely nice and IMO is a perfect compliment to Aether.

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:35 am

kb420 wrote:AT $250, it's more than CSR. Do you really think it's better than CSR?
Better is a subjective thing. You should try the demo if you're curious and see for yourself. It's hard to compare apps sometimes. I like that this reverb has a quality that I don't have in my other reverbs. And it's someting that I find useful. I don't know if it will replace anything I already have but I do think it will get much use in my setup.

coldbuggin

Post by coldbuggin » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:28 pm

i'm in.

xherv

Post by xherv » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:50 pm

Time is running out on this! The 26th is the last day to join in, the price is already down to $150, this is a fantastic deal compared to what the price will be soon.

Andrew Souter at Galbanum / 2CAudio has been really attentive on KVR, handling himself well, speaking honestly and openly about the software. To me this is as much an indicator as anything as to the value of the product. It indicates a productive relationship between developers and users around how the software really works in userspace. So in addition to Aether being really cool right now, I think it's a good bet that it will grow and evolve over time the way all great software does. Never a better opportunity to get in than now!
http://www.soundcloud.com/xherv
I know EVERYTHING that I know and you don't know, and don't know what I don't know that you know, so I'll ignore that stuff. Wassup now?

greenscreens

Post by greenscreens » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:34 am

is it an IR reverb?

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:45 am

nope

elxicano

Post by elxicano » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:23 pm

Another bump for a great reverb.

Not an IR verb... This is an extremely great sounding reverb without the CPU or storage demands or load times of IR. Try the demo to find out for yourself.

xherv

Post by xherv » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:16 am

It's not an IR verb but the early reflections part of the signal chain is sort of a nod in that direction. There is sort of a premium set (20 or 30 or something like that) of early reflection 'spaces'. The processing is algorithmic in nature but different spaces are not at all like simple adjustments of pre-delay or diffusion. Each really does have a unique character and my real surprise with this verb is each sounds really good almost independent of the state of the rest of the reverb - like small spaces with long decays work, long reverbs working quietly don't suck, hard to dial in a bad sound with this.
http://www.soundcloud.com/xherv
I know EVERYTHING that I know and you don't know, and don't know what I don't know that you know, so I'll ignore that stuff. Wassup now?

dredd i knight

Post by dredd i knight » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:10 pm

Would this be something a reverb noob could use well? i know there's a demo, but I'm off to a wedding tomorrow, am preparing my set and dont have time to demo it. I think the abes reverb is ok...ish, but limiting.i have used perfect space in sonar for most of my reverb duties, but I'm untangling myself from sonar, and want something that will take care of what perfect space did for me. At $149 this seems quite a good deal, and maybe something I could "grow into". Or is it overkill for someone who only knows the basics of reverb?

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:16 pm

It just doesn't do enough for me to justify the price (conversion rates suck). I've got the Live and Sonnox verbs already, I reckon that's good enough!

elxicano

Post by elxicano » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:28 pm

dredd i knight wrote:Would this be something a reverb noob could use well? i know there's a demo, but I'm off to a wedding tomorrow, am preparing my set and dont have time to demo it. I think the abes reverb is ok...ish, but limiting.i have used perfect space in sonar for most of my reverb duties, but I'm untangling myself from sonar, and want something that will take care of what perfect space did for me. At $149 this seems quite a good deal, and maybe something I could "grow into". Or is it overkill for someone who only knows the basics of reverb?
It's definitely not overkill... You could be nothing more than a preset use with this and still be extremely happy, even paying $149. There really are a lot of presets already created here, and it's very easy to flip through them.

This is also a tweakers delight, as it has a lot of options to customize, and from what the developer has mentioned on KVR... there'll be more options in the coming 1.1 update. Still, this isn't overkill at all.

This reverb is also different sounding then Abe's reverb. You won't have overlap between the two, so another reason why this would be a good purchase.

locojohn

Post by locojohn » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:41 pm

elxicano wrote:It's definitely not overkill... You could be nothing more than a preset use with this and still be extremely happy, even paying $149. There really are a lot of presets already created here, and it's very easy to flip through them. [...] This reverb is also different sounding then Abe's reverb. You won't have overlap between the two, so another reason why this would be a good purchase.
It's a very good reverb. BTW, as I understood from the discussion on KVR it is possible to retain certain parameters like dry/wet unchanged even when you switch between presets - very nice!

Andrejs
/*
  • the basic tone of life remains the same,
    and in it there are some happy melodies
    and some sad melodies
    - sekito kisen
*/

elxicano

Post by elxicano » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:49 pm

Yeah, I was reading about that too... I still haven't tried it, but maybe later today. It just makes so much more sense to have that as an option to keep your preferred dry/wet setting while changing presets. I wish more plugins would allow that as an option on their plugins.

dredd i knight

Post by dredd i knight » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:42 pm

[quote="elxicano
It's definitely not overkill... You could be nothing more than a preset use with this and still be extremely happy, even paying $149. There really are a lot of presets already created here, and it's very easy to flip through them.

This is also a tweakers delight, as it has a lot of options to customize, and from what the developer has mentioned on KVR... there'll be more options in the coming 1.1 update. Still, this isn't overkill at all.

This reverb is also different sounding then Abe's reverb. You won't have overlap between the two, so another reason why this would be a good purchase.[/quote]

Thanks for the feedback; I'm seriously thinking about it.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:20 pm

Interesting to note about this plug-in is that the entire cpu load is pretty much in the late reflections. There is always of course more cpu used for the late reflections in reverbs, but if you turn the ER down to nothing, the cpu disappears to about 1%. I wonder what it would be like using this with something a little lighter on the cpu like Fusion Field which doesn't have ER but sounds beautiful. Of course the obvious benefit of using only Aether is that the ER/LR can be tied to match the space.
Professional Shark Jumper.