What is Ableton Live anyway? (video on main site = terrible)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
chevthewizard

What is Ableton Live anyway? (video on main site = terrible)

Post by chevthewizard » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:53 pm

Yo dudes, like, this video is the most boring thing ever created....

http://www.ableton.com/live

I was expecting something that would dive straight into what makes Ableton stand apart from other audio software, about Session View and how you can create scenes and follow actions etc. for live performance, instead we have to watch this guy create a track from scratch? It's over EIGHT MINUTES before he actually starts explaining it properly about session view, and then not in very much detail either.

Tres boring. Plus very dance music orientated which I found odd. Also for something called Live why base the whole thing in the Studio?? Show some people using it on stage, in art productions, in bands etc, show its versatility.

The reason I bring this up is because I just had somebody tell me they wanted to use a computer on stage with their acoustic sets for backing purposes, triggering effects and drum loops on cue etc., and I said use Ableton! He said what's Ableton? I sent him this video link, THEN I proceeded to watch it.... he wasn't impressed either, said it was just some guy recording some "really shit loops"! :lol:

Just a heads up for you guys Ableton... not a complaint. I'm sure this video can't really be helping your sales too much....

Yours Sincerely
Chev
My Website | Myspace | Soundcloud
birdhouse19 wrote:i was playing a club last night and had to play some rap, and i know ableton live isnt very good with rap without a sound card.

mock

Re: What is Ableton Live anyway? (video on main site = terrible)

Post by mock » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:58 pm

Silwolffe

Post by Silwolffe » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:02 pm

I, personally, enjoyed the video that was posted on the front page. It shows just how quickly you can get your ideas down and into live, as well as how to perform using the new APC40 controller.

http://www.ableton.com/movies

chevthewizard

Post by chevthewizard » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:03 pm

Yeah, the 'Ableton Live in 60 seconds' one isn't bad. Should be on the front page of the ableton site instead of the boring one imo.... :?

Yes the video is a nice little demonstration of the APC, and it shows the looping functionality, but Ableton is more than a looping tool. Any DAW can loop, right? You've got to look at it from a new user's point of view who knows nothing about Ableton.
My Website | Myspace | Soundcloud
birdhouse19 wrote:i was playing a club last night and had to play some rap, and i know ableton live isnt very good with rap without a sound card.