Educational Discount on Live 8 *Upgrade*

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
laurence

Educational Discount on Live 8 *Upgrade*

Post by laurence » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:42 am

Is there one? Namely Live 6 -> 8.

I'm pretty sure there used to be one for Live 6 -> 7.

Or will I not be able to exploit my student-ness this time?
I have no pets but enjoy drawing pictures of insects and sending them to people

Silwolffe

Re: Educational Discount on Live 8 *Upgrade*

Post by Silwolffe » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:45 am

I believe ableton has done away with the educational discount for live8. :(

laurence

Post by laurence » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:48 am

The discount is there: http://www.ableton.com/educational-pricing

Seems the upgrades have been dropped though, I'm disappointed.
I have no pets but enjoy drawing pictures of insects and sending them to people

samuelp13

Post by samuelp13 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:06 am

I'm in the same situation as you laurence. I'm on 6 and want an educational upgrade to suite 8 but don't want to have to pay €349, the upgrade they're offering is more than buying the full suite 8. I bought ableton just 2 years ago, and I think it is completely out of order that I should have to pay that much if I want to upgrade now. I'm tempted not to because of the pricing, but I really want the product. I'm really unimpressed with how ableton have priced all the new products.

smutek

Post by smutek » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:59 am

They aren't going to change it, you'll get over it.

I'm not saying that to be smart, I was pissed for a while myself at the pricing and at the discontinuance of edu upgrades. Swore never to give Ableton my money ever again, etc.

I got over it.

Now with my silly emotions out of the way there is just a simple decision: will I buy it or not.

Answer for me is definitely not. Not at all out of spite or anger, the reasons are:

a) Can't afford it at the moment
b) I don't need it.

I would probably have been fine making music on version 5 for many years to come, seriously. Also, I just upgraded from 5 to 7 in November and have enough there to keep me occupied for quite a long time.

So, for me, it doesn't make any sense to upgrade at the moment and other than consumer lust there is no real reason to.

Now it is nice to look at it with a clear head and no angry emotions, content to just be happy with what I have for a while, and maybe catch them at version 9 or 10.

Dunno man, just saying, its definitely a drag, but it is what it is and it's not in my power to change it, so why not just accept it for what it is and move on. That was my experience.

Oh - also was going to say that the new Ableton edu model seems similar to adobe. You can buy in at a major discount, but there is no upgrade. You just have to buy the whole thing again at educational price, which is pretty much equivalent to the price "regular" users are paying for their upgrades.

Not saying that's good or bad, just making the comparison.
Last edited by smutek on Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

timwright

Post by timwright » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:11 pm

I just purchased Suite 8 at the educational price. As for upgrades, I'm not really overly bothered if I can have discount on upgrades too, they gave us a head start, did they not? You people give students a bad name, expecting discount on everything. Be grateful for once, and accept that there comes a time when you will have to pay what regular folks pay.

smutek

Post by smutek » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:17 pm

timwright wrote:I just purchased Suite 8 at the educational price. As for upgrades, I'm not really overly bothered if I can have discount on upgrades too, they gave us a head start, did they not?
Yeah, that's kind of what I was getting at with the Adobe reference above. Obviously its painful for people who have been used to the old model, but its really still quite generous to new students - and that is exactly what it is, a nice head start.

samuelp13

Post by samuelp13 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:21 pm

smutek wrote:
timwright wrote:I just purchased Suite 8 at the educational price. As for upgrades, I'm not really overly bothered if I can have discount on upgrades too, they gave us a head start, did they not?
Yeah, that's kind of what I was getting at with the Adobe reference above. Obviously its painful for people who have been used to the old model, but its really still quite generous to new students - and that is exactly what it is, a nice head start.
well, in honesty, it's not just the student pricing that's bad. the whole ableton pricing is very bad, and I don't know how they can justify selling it at twice the price of Logic really. I understand what you're trying to say with just accepting and getting on with it, but if I voice my opinion - as many others on here have too then it might encourage them to change the pricing.

smutek

Post by smutek » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:24 pm

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you shouldn't voice your opinion - you should.

I certainly did.

I'm just at work at procrastinating over getting started and thought I'd share my experience.

:wink:
Last edited by smutek on Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

timwright

Post by timwright » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:26 pm

samuelp13 wrote:
smutek wrote:
well, in honesty, it's not just the student pricing that's bad. the whole ableton pricing is very bad, and I don't know how they can justify selling it at twice the price of Logic really. I understand what you're trying to say with just accepting and getting on with it, but if I voice my opinion - as many others on here have too then it might encourage them to change the pricing.
It's worth what people pay for it. And if you aren't happy with the price in comparison to Logic, then buy Logic. If you want the product so much more, then surely it's worth more. I don't think you moaning about the price is going to affect anything.

sowhoso

Post by sowhoso » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:55 pm

$189usd is too much for 7 to 8 upgrade considering the new features implemented (cool as they are). At that rate new buyers should be paying $2000 or something ridiculous. Think about it

samuelp13

Post by samuelp13 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:06 pm

timwright wrote:
It's worth what people pay for it. And if you aren't happy with the price in comparison to Logic, then buy Logic. If you want the product so much more, then surely it's worth more. I don't think you moaning about the price is going to affect anything.
It may not do anything, but I think its fair enough to complain if something isn't right.

DaddyHam

Post by DaddyHam » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:12 pm

If you are unhappy about the upgrade pricing, you should just send an email over to Ableton and explain to them it means you can't afford to upgrade, which is a lost sale for them. Granted, they won't change this policy now, but you have a right to voice your opinion and perhaps they will bring it back in the future when the economy isn't in the shitter. I imagine Ableton will be sitting pretty after this product launch, what with so much hype around the product and so many dependent products that go along with with. (max 4 live, apc 40) Maybe this means they will be a bit more generous in the future. I agree with smutek that you really just have to make a decision and move on, I was furious, but it is what it is. I really do sympathize with users using 6, thats a new product purchase not an upgrade. I hit em with an email, and they were very polite about it, maybe if enough people shout out, they will reconsider, it can't hurt to try.

sowhoso

Post by sowhoso » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:19 pm

during shit economies is the time to lower prices, not raise them

<where my emailer?>

DaddyHam

Post by DaddyHam » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:32 pm

[quote="sowhoso"]during shit economies is the time to lower prices, not raise them [/quote]

Thats probably most peoples thinking, but a majority of companies raise their prices during times like these. Thats an economic lesson though and I'm not saying its right, I would like to see prices go down on most products, especially this one, but thats life. Although, its great time to pick up older products that will likely go on sale, like battery 3 which is on for 100 right now.