name one professional

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
cperezzz

name one professional

Post by cperezzz » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:10 am

can anyone here tell me what professional artist,producer (i'm talking A-LIST caliber professional) uses LIVE as their main DAW,let me repeat..."main DAW"... so i can listen to what they've recorded and give me some hope that LIVE is worth investing in?
and if i get no response, i'm assuming the answer will be nobody has used it.
world wide peacemaker

m:o

Re: name one professional

Post by m:o » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:16 am

OMG. nobody uses Live as main DAW. It's just the logical evolution of
the fisherprice "my-first-pianoroll". You see, it's for kids who like to play.
not for "professionals"....mmhmh, maybe professional kids ?!

like this exemplar:

mihai

Post by mihai » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:26 am

can't tell you of one but it would be ignorant to think live doesn't have the capability to be a main daw. the music industry is overrun by pro tools and so many won't "lower" themselves to anything but. personally live is the only software that actually appeals to me and i'm not only working in the electronic genres. try out the demo and see how the software suits you, maybe you'll like it and maybe you won't. that's why it's there. i'm sure if you work up your skill in it then you'll do as well as you would in any other daw.

m:o

Post by m:o » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:29 am

maybe one or two professionals over here:
http://www.ableton.com/pages/artists/list

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:35 am

cperezzz wrote:can anyone here tell me what professional artist,producer (i'm talking A-LIST caliber professional) uses LIVE as their main DAW,let me repeat..."main DAW"... so i can listen to what they've recorded and give me some hope that LIVE is worth investing in?
define main DAW.

loads of artists create every single track in ableton and then do their final mix in another daw, to me that doesn't make the other daw their MAIN daw it just means they like to do their final mix in it. If anything I'd call ableton live most peoples main daw and other daws their secondary mixdown tool.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:41 am

I was really impressed by this:

http://www.ableton.com/barbara_hagan

I know, not in the same arena as Daft Punk, but gives you an idea of how clever people outside of the world of strictly electronic music can see how to apply Live intuitively.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:47 am

i use it as my main daw.

not that i'm anything special... just sayin because i don't do 100 percent electronic music
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

sdmiddleton

Post by sdmiddleton » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:47 am

cperezzz wrote:can anyone here tell me what professional artist,producer (i'm talking A-LIST caliber professional) uses LIVE as their main DAW,let me repeat..."main DAW"... so i can listen to what they've recorded and give me some hope that LIVE is worth investing in?
Sasha...

When you say A list do you mean in the sense that they have sold lots of records like Pete Waterman and get branded A-LIST by default or people who have actually created good music?

IF Quincy Jones was 40 years younger and Live was about then i reckon this would be his one stop shop...A-List producers become A list after years of hard graft and building a good reputation and standing the test of time, you're only as good as your last record after all.... I was once told that lesson one is to pick a DAW, live and breath it, make it yours, don't get distracted by anything else, then that will be your canvas to capture your great music. The best producers need to know how to place a mic, encourage an artist, realise an arrangement and capture a performance. The least of their worries is the DAW. Ableton is still young on the grand Scheme in terms of how long it takes for A-LIST producers to come into realization and stand that test of time. But watch this space and this forum, i'm certain there'll be people on this very site who will be the new breed of A lister, and it will just so happen that Ableton will have been weapon of choice. And what a weapon.

cperezzz

Post by cperezzz » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:54 am

ok, i seriously don't know anybody on that artist site,except for the WHO dude.and sounds like he uses it for "pre" studio work.

"take your tracks from LIVE to another DAW for mixing" sounds interesting.
but, that sounds like i would have to invest in more software? what is a good MIXING DAW that we are talking about here?

and what i mean by A-LIST is someone my little punk cousins have heard about.
like a DR. DRE,BABYFACE, or NO DOUBT, DAMIAN MARLEY.
world wide peacemaker

smutek

Post by smutek » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:59 am

DEADMOUTH5

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:02 am

In this day and age there are probably very few producers/engineers making music using any one single piece
of software or DAW. In that light Live is a very cool sketch pad that some people, my self included, rarely
move out side of. On the other hand there are others that use live to compliment other DAWS, or use other DAWS to compliment live.
I used to create lots of loops in Logic, then import them into live.
Now i use logic instruments in mainstage on one computer, and record them into live on another.

What is it you want to be able to do with live?
Maybe tell us a bit about that, and maybe we can tell you if live is good for that, or if some other DAW would be better suited.
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:03 am

Don't buy Live. We don't need that attitude right out the gate.

Go buy a Pro Tools HD system, or Cubase, or Logic. Many pros use those. Nobody on the radio uses Live exclusively. Get a MPC too. You'll find all these comforting to know that if your music sucks it's you and not the tools you are using. They will also impress your friends and teenagers because you can tell them all the commercially successful artists that use the same programs and them just knowing that will make your music sound better.

sdmiddleton

Post by sdmiddleton » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:15 am

There's a song called 'the screw' produced by legendary producer Phil Spector that may be of interest - it's a classic.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:18 am

sdmiddleton wrote:There's a song called 'the screw' produced by legendary producer Phil Spector that may be of interest - it's a classic.
Dude, he wants stuff off the iTunes top 10 list. This is not the time to share your eccentric taste.