Warping video tutorial for Ableton 8

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
medwaystudios

Re: Warping video tutorial for Ableton 8

Post by medwaystudios » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:04 pm

Hey everyone thanks for the positive feedback. I just checked this thread today and was nice to see everyone got something out of it.

I just put up a new video today to go over the Groove Quantize stuff:

http://bit.ly/aScNi

Thanks,

Jesse

kb420

Post by kb420 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:00 pm

Another great video. I think you should submit that to the "Bugs & Problems" forum too!
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

mr.adl

Post by mr.adl » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:26 pm

Thanx for both vids and i also higly recommend to tell the Abes about the bugs you found :!:

medwaystudios

Post by medwaystudios » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:38 am

Ok I will. I actually thought some of these might have been in the forum already and was worried I was repeating the already known.

Btw if anyone had issues with the link today it was due to an ISP dropout in the UK connecting to Mediatemples US server.
Seems to be working fine now.

Ball Sack

Post by Ball Sack » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:01 am

Tarekith wrote:Nice video, I'm sure that will clear things up for people. Though I do find it funny that so much of using the new warping method relies relies on holding shift, which merely makes it act like it was in version 7 in the first place.
Exactly.

jon_moore

Post by jon_moore » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:53 am

Excellent tutorial fella.

One other trick I've been using when warping complete tracks is to use Warp Straight from here. A lot of modern productions have very complex rhythm tracks (that lack a pronounced downbeat) and this confuses Lives AutoWarp engine. If you know the original track maintains a constant tempo always use the Warp Straight option to ensure the correct tempo analysis. Combining this with the shift trick enables you to warp complete tracks on the fly in under 20 seconds.
JM

http://leftside-wobble.blogspot.com/

MacBook Pro 2.8 (10.5.6)

kb420

Post by kb420 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:43 pm

Even after watching your video, I still find myself getting frustrated with the new warping.

I usually end up opening Live 7, and warping with that and saving the file and then reopening it in 8.

I guess that the new engine sounds better, but is the new approach really any better?
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

Hardtoe

Post by Hardtoe » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:06 am

yo 420 - you need to smoke less dope dude (happy April 20th BTW) - after seeing this tutorial, it is obviously far easier to warp in live 8 - you just need to adjust your brain a little - thanks for the great tutorial! (you are obviously a real live user, not some lame-o "education" video instructor)

Much appreciated.....
Can you hear it?

djgroovy

Post by djgroovy » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:19 pm

Great videos, thanks!

DrXparaMental

Post by DrXparaMental » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:38 pm

medwaystudios wrote:Hi,

After struggling a bit initially with the new warping method (as being so use to the previous methods)
I decided to make a video tutorial to help others with the transition.

Hope you get something useful from it:

http://bit.ly/rClOE

Jesse
GREAT! This is right on time. Exactly where I am trying to best invest myself right now. I have to say that after making the jump from 6 to 8, there is a TON of cool new capability!

Every night I am exceeding my bedtime by a couple of hours. Excuse me, I got some power napping to do. :lol:

Thanks for helping me to get my brain more so around the new warping.

kb420

Post by kb420 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:30 pm

Hardtoe wrote:yo 420 - you need to smoke less dope dude (happy April 20th BTW) - after seeing this tutorial, it is obviously far easier to warp in live 8 - you just need to adjust your brain a little - thanks for the great tutorial! (you are obviously a real live user, not some lame-o "education" video instructor)

Much appreciated.....

Wow! I guess I know where your head is!

Just to clear the record, I don't smoke dope. My name is Kevin Bell, hence the kb, and I am a Union Steamfitter out of local 420.

http://lu420.org/

That's where I came up with the name kb420.

Also, my birthday isn't until June, and I will be 38 then.
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

DrXparaMental

Post by DrXparaMental » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:07 pm

kb420 wrote:
Hardtoe wrote:yo 420 - you need to smoke less dope dude (happy April 20th BTW) - after seeing this tutorial, it is obviously far easier to warp in live 8 - you just need to adjust your brain a little - thanks for the great tutorial! (you are obviously a real live user, not some lame-o "education" video instructor)

Much appreciated.....

Wow! I guess I know where your head is!

Just to clear the record, I don't smoke dope. My name is Kevin Bell, hence the kb, and I am a Union Steamfitter out of local 420.

http://lu420.org/

That's where I came up with the name kb420.

Also, my birthday isn't until June, and I will be 38 then.
Great gig Kevin. Very cool to see you take pride in your job like that. I think so anyhow.

Hardtoe

Post by Hardtoe » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:51 am

HA! I'm 34 and I barely smoke these days myself - however, your local would be instantly inundated with pot jokes if it were located in Saskatchewan - 420 is a very well know and distinctly loaded number here..... :mrgreen:

and the April 20 comment was because the date is - you guessed it - 4 / 20....
Can you hear it?

shai

Post by shai » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:15 am

cheers for that. shift FTW!

smisk

Post by smisk » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:51 pm

Great video! Thanks so much - it was really appreciated.

However, I have just one question: How come you change the tempo of the clip manually? Usually I have no idea as to what the tempo is. Shouldn't Live just sync the audio with grid after adding the first warp-marker at the beginning and using the straight-function in right-click menu?

I've never used Live 7, but I know that you had to manually make the warp markers and go through the track to see if the waveform matched the grid - if not, you would set a warp marker. But isn't this history with 8?

Thanks again.