who do you report cracked software to for ableton?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
shlomo

Re: who do you report cracked software to for ableton?

Post by shlomo » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:04 am

NOBODY bought Live (or any other sw). We bought licenses to USE the software and after registering our licence we are provided with the authorization. That makes us authorized users. Users who dont have license are unauthorized users. And thats it. That is far, far away from being stealer or junkie or whatever, because there was nothing to be stolen at the first place. Ableton are aware of unathorized usage of their software and its THEIR agenda to provide the best possible solution, since it is in their interest to protect the authorized users (their investment in licensing the software) from unauthorized usage.

Gab

Post by Gab » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:24 am

Just stumbled upon this:

Strangely enough I have seen their banner only on Celemony's website, but never on NI's or Cakewalk's - for exemple. I don't think adding such a banner on a bunch of websites is the way to curb piracy, but it may lead some software users - who know that piracy is harmful but but resort to it nevertheless - to a true realization that software has to be bought in order to be created and supported.
'If they act too hip, you know they can’t play shit.'

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:03 am

The most direct one is http://www.banpiracy.org, a few companies such as Waves and Steinberg have supported them.

These are the dudes who, in conjunction with Waves plugins, sent undercover agents into studios running cracked software and got evidence on tape and hidden camera and then with Waves lawyers issued subpoenas to see you in court, unless you pay 75,000 dollars. None of these cases came to court, suggesting that these cases were settled out of court (I don't know if they were all settled for 75k or negotiated), but when pushed for money, they all coughed up SOMETHING, probably much more than buying the Waves bundle legit.)

http://www.banpiracy.com/CP_TELBAZ_WAVE ... N_DW_2.pdf
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

silveriofunk

Post by silveriofunk » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:17 pm

people who can afford it, usually buy
people who can't usually use a cracked version
simple

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:24 pm

People who can't afford can use Acid XMC or Reaper.

Or get a job, or save up and buy. Can't afford doesn't make it right to run warez.

Most people can afford but are too cheap to pay, yet will splash out on 300 dollar running shoes, Blu Ray players and PS3's with 70 dollar a shot games. One dude here has a new top of the range quad core machine that would have cost a pretty penny and he admits to running a crack.

If you got the money, then it's plain douchery ... simple. If you haven't then you have cheap and free alternatives that are very functional. You can buy Live LE for a low price too, which gives a lot of Live's functionality for those who can't afford the full product. you can now trial Live free for 14 days no restrictions, including Suite instruments and Operator and Sampler, so 'try before buy' is redundant too.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

sacredgeometry

Post by sacredgeometry » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:03 pm

silveriofunk wrote:people who can afford it, usually buy
simple
exactly if you are not in the market whether you use it or not doesn't effect the business.
Peace + Hugs

Brian

sacredgeometry

Post by sacredgeometry » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:18 pm

sacredgeometry wrote:
silveriofunk wrote:people who can afford it, usually buy
simple
exactly if you are not in the market whether you use it or not doesn't effect the business.
"If you got the money, then it's plain douchery ... simple. If you haven't then you have cheap and free alternatives that are very functional. You can buy Live LE for a low price too, which gives a lot of Live's functionality for those who can't afford the full product. you can now trial Live free for 14 days no restrictions, including Suite instruments and Operator and Sampler, so 'try before buy' is redundant too."

The only difference is your feeling of egomaniacal exclusivity is stunted hearing that other people have access to exactly the same thing you just spent £700 for, you need to grow up and stop being sucked into this bullshit argument. It is not the same as stealing or mugging i have worked on things which have been pirated and you know what .... it wasn't a surprise and i didnt go crying to mommy because of it. In the end it doesn't change the fact that ableton is only slightly affected from this for the good or bad. It is a great product and one that deserves funding and support and from experience i have witnessed over 50 of my friends going from cracked versions to payed....i was one of them, if i (probably they) didn't have the time to learn ableton inside out then i wouldn't have bought it....if i didn't have the freedom that the full software offers i wouldn't still be using it.

plain and simple....im sure this is the same for a large chunk of authorized ableton users, not everyone can blindly throw down nearly a grand on software....or pay a substantial amount for a le version to make sure they like it.

You will never stop it and any attempt will just make the ones who pay suffer its best just to get on with it.

Peace

Brian
Peace + Hugs

Brian

Imaulle

Post by Imaulle » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:38 pm

leedsquietman wrote:One dude here has a new top of the range quad core machine that would have cost a pretty penny and he admits to running a crack.
the Q6600 came out about two and a half years ago. you don't know a god damn thing about me so why don't you shut the fuck up?

I may as well use the demo of live because I never export or save anything. hence why I haven't bought it yet.

gjm

Post by gjm » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:03 pm

leedsquietman wrote:... you can now trial Live free for 14 days no restrictions, including Suite instruments and Operator and Sampler, so 'try before buy' is redundant too.
Not really. 14 days for a beginner (who has a job or goes to school) is simply not enough time. Live has a steep learning curve for a novice, let alone the other instruments. The 14 days are aimed at established and experienced people that already have a working knowledge of other systems/DAW's and can make proactive comparisons.

Having gone through a learning curve myself with 6LE, I have yet to DL a full version because, even though there are 14 days, I might only manage 15-20 hrs of actual time, and thats if I told the wife and kids not to bother me for ANYTHING, cancelled any recreation activities, and fitted it into a holiday break. Trying it any other time in my usual daily routine would get me nowhere.

I wish they had an accrued lapsed time thing, like 40 hrs that ticked away only when I opened it, so that if I needed 3 months to check it out, I could then do supporting research and any hardware problem solving as I went. By the time I used up my alloted time fully, I would probably be so hooked that a sale would be inevitable.

*shrugs*
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:16 pm

Once again, none of this would happen if it weren't so easy to pirate. If any of these pussies bragging about pirating Live had to pull a gun on someone in order to get a copy of Live I'm sure there would be very few doing it.

It IS stealing and some of you need a good pistol whipping.
Unsound Designer

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:56 am

+1

Guilty consciences and denial don't make it right, even if you think it's right in your head. So Brian and Imaulle, I suggest you talk that over with your therapists. And supply the names and e-mail addys of these so called reformed characters so Ban Piracy can check them out for real, should be no probs if they're all legit, right.

What are the main considerations for choosing a DAW - basic GUI and simple operation of core features. I think the 14 day demo allows plenty of time for that, although I appreciate the busier ones (working, married with family as am I) will have much less free time to evaluate. Take a weekend and set aside 3 or 4 hours per weekend day and that should be enough to know if it rings your bell.

gavspav

Post by gavspav » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:00 pm

I'll put my hands up and say I had a cracked copy of Live before I bought it.

How many of you can honestly say you didn't?

smutek

Post by smutek » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:15 pm

I bought live in 2003. I had no idea what in the hell I was buying - actually to this day I still wonder....

It was an impulse buy, I was new to making music and somehow came across this site and saw that Richie Hawtin used it, so I put it on a credit card without telling the wife. Since then I've grown to really like this company and the product they offer, so for that reason stealing it does not occur to me.

I don't think I am better than anyone because of that and I honestly do not care who here is running a crack and I certainly do not think I have any right to voice any suspicions I may have or accuse anyone else of running a crack.

The only thing that really bothers me is the people who announce they are using a pirated version or make it painfully obvious. I think that's really stupid.

Seriously, keep that shit to yourself. If you can't understand why the people who have invested thousands of dollars in a product would not be irritated at the thought of someone stealing it then you really are a stupid fuck and deserve what you get.

To summarize, personally, this is just me here, I could care less if you stole it because quite frankly it's none of my business, just keep it to yourself, because once you tell you've made it mine and everyone else's business.

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:23 pm

gavspav wrote:I'll put my hands up and say I had a cracked copy of Live before I bought it.

Me. I started with 1.0 a couple weeks after it was released- 2002.

ew

smutek

Post by smutek » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:42 pm

ewistrand wrote:
gavspav wrote:I'll put my hands up and say I had a cracked copy of Live before I bought it.

Me. I started with 1.0 a couple weeks after it was released- 2002.

ew
Me too, legit from the get.