OT: MOTU support sucks

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
synnack

OT: MOTU support sucks

Post by synnack » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:48 pm

Yeah so my Ultralite died. Wont power on via Firewire or wall outlet.

So, I opened a "Technote" on their website. Site says they will reply within 2-3 business days. A full WEEK later I got a reply saying to send the thing back in and pay $100 and they'll fix it.

Not to bad. $100 is sure less than buying a new one. They want me to Fax my CreditCart # to them to start the process.

Well, I live in Boston, I can literally walk to the MOTU office. I don't have a Fax machine. So I can drive around town to find a fax machine, or I can just freaking bring it to MOTU and pay them on the spot. So I reply to the "tech note" and tell them that.

4 days later... still no reply.

So, I pick up the phone and call support. After all I"m a paying, registered customer. Busy signal. All day. Over and over.

So, i call the "main line". The receptionist tells me there is no hold queue so they must be helping someone else so I have to just keep calling. Um. 2009? not even voicemail so i can leave a message to get a call back? That's bullshit.

So now i have to sit on redial all day to hope I catch an open line.. just to see if i can drive 2 miles to bring the fucking thing in.

Also, i noted on the web site they do not offer the product manuals for free as PDF like pretty much any other company that makes.. anything. You have to buy a new printed one for $20.

grrrrrr. I love the MOTU products but this is enough to make fucking M-Audio look good.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

beats me

Re: OT: MOTU support sucks

Post by beats me » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:58 pm

If you're that close then why not just drive down there or whatever?

Not saying their phone/online support doesn't suck but it sounds a bit like not turning on your TV because you can't find the remote.

I once didn't go to a movie because my internet was down and I couldn't check on times, completely forgot I could have called the theater. Technology can make us lazy.

aizo

Post by aizo » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:59 pm

Actually, MOTU tech support is good....
Yeah, 2009 and you have to wait for a busy signal, but the thing is that even though they sell a lot of units they are still a pretty small company and I believe it's something like 20 if that, people answering phones. I never send emails, because it's those same guys answering phones replying to them. Just redial and watch TV until you get through. It sucks but when your a small company what are ya gonna do? At least their support is in their headquarters and not in India.
ImageImage

continuous

Post by continuous » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:15 pm

I had a slight problem with my Traveler couple years back and had to call them. It was weird... always busy or always on hold but just be persistent on the phone and good service follows. They had me send it in and got me a new one pronto. Traveler has been solid ever since.

greenscreens

Post by greenscreens » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:29 pm

ive had the same problem.... busy signal constantly, i had to buy a new soundcard because for months they wouldnt respond to my emails and i could never call them directly

aisling

Post by aisling » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:43 pm

I have used and owned motu products (828, 2408, 1224) since 2000. Tech support can be hit or miss. I have some go "unanswered" and other times things go smooth as butter......It can be frustrating I agree, but on the whole I appreciate their products and can tolerate the hassle considering the quality in the price range.
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

synnack

Post by synnack » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:47 pm

@beats me: yeah, most companies "corporate address" may not even be where tech support is, nor will they take equipment that way. The receptionist will have no idea. Showing up in person is likely not to buy me much.

I finally did get through on the phone. I will have to ship it to them, even though I'm local and pay the 100 bucks but at least I got the RA number and shipping address now.

Already sent it off via Fedex today. Let's see how long this takes...
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:00 pm

tempus3r wrote:@beats me: yeah, most companies "corporate address" may not even be where tech support is, nor will they take equipment that way. The receptionist will have no idea. Showing up in person is likely not to buy me much.

I finally did get through on the phone. I will have to ship it to them, even though I'm local and pay the 100 bucks but at least I got the RA number and shipping address now.

Already sent it off via Fedex today. Let's see how long this takes...

keep us posted on response time....
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu

mike_o

Post by mike_o » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:00 am

I have an 828MK2, Ultralight MK3, Digital Performer 6 and their MX4 synth, I love motu products and have always had great success with them, but yes, HELL YES, their phone system has pissed me of a couple of times, I agree that they are one of the last "small" or independent pro audio manufacturers out there and deserve a certain patience, but not having hold or a messaging system in 2009 in just not acceptable in any way.

synnack

Post by synnack » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:32 am

Yeha man. I'm all for cutting small vendors some slack. I do it all the time for Ableton. They work hard with very little resources.

But in this case, i don't think a $20 answering machine from bestbuy is out of the question. There is no excuse for a busy signal.

sublimelobc

Post by sublimelobc » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:41 am

I've owned an Ultralite and 828 MK3....never any problems with the Ultralite but my 828 became unresponsive while under warranty and I sent it back and received a DOA replacement. Luckily the guy that I vented on after that experience was very cool, and I had another replacement pre-shipped next day air, with a prepaid UPS label to send in the dead one.

I had almost talked myself into trying another brand, I was thinking about biting the bullet and trying RME....I'm glad I didn't, my Motu gear has pretty much worked flawlessly for the past 3.5 years I've been using it, I might as well spend the extra grand on something like the APC and 8 upgrade. (waiting for tax returns)

I'd like to hear how quick of a turnaround you have on your replacement, good luck!

synnack

Post by synnack » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:16 pm

Got the Ultralite back yesterday. Seems to turn on and work now. Woo hoo.

So, just shy of a month since it went out it was fixed.

Lesson learned. Ignore their web support entirely and leverage autodial and plan to wait.