Poll: Did You Use A Crack For Live Before You Bought It?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Did You Use A Crack For Live Before You Bought It?

Yes
52%
No, I would never do such a thing.
42%
Not Telling.
2%
I'm still using a crack. You're all suckers.
3%

Total votes: 292

istlota

Re: Poll: Did You Use A Crack For Live Before You Bought It?

Post by istlota » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:21 pm

[quote="Angstrom"]it's interesting that the people who voted in the 'I used/still use a crack' options in this and the older poll - it seems that 96% of initial crack users go on to purchase the application.

Of course, most [i]current[/i] crack users probably [i]do not[/i] come on the official forum, so the statistics are possibly horribly skewed - but it's still quite a high conversion rate. I'm thinking it may actually be quite accurate.

From my own experience of friends who use a cracked copy, they either:
1: tend to use it off-and-on for about a month and then slowly stop using it and go back to using a different app.
2: use it a lot and then buy a version after they realise that they haven't opened cubase/logic/whatever in a long time

so my experience is that they either delecte it after three months, or they pony up the cash after six months.

So the small number of continuous crack users (%2) we see in this poll may be an accurate reflection of the minority of hardened misfits. In which case the 98% conversion rate is really quite surprising.[/quote]

Or, the crack users have enough sense not to admit illegal activity in a public forum.

beatz01

Post by beatz01 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:59 pm

Are you on crack ? Why are you pulling up a 3 year old thread ?!

Guillermo Barrancos

Post by Guillermo Barrancos » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:42 pm

A lot of People don't dare to tell the truth. :?

Music software is very expensive! And in most cases there is either no demo available or it's too Limited to really get a feel for it if you want to use it for a long time or not.
It's a shame a lot of Music software put ridiculous limitations on their demo's, instead of a time restriction of 15 to 30 days, like regular software and OS's do.
It would reduce the need for pirating quite a bit. Sure you will always have People that use pirated stuff only... but that's just the nature of the internet.

A long time ago I tried a pirated copy of Cubase SX2 for a while to learn and try out Cubase and see if it was something for me.
After a month I started to like Cubase more and more, release SX3 came out, so I saved up and bought Cubase SX3.

Then a while later Ableton Live 6 came out, With lot's of Marketing ....and as I was DJ'ing at that time, it peeked my interest.
As I already forked out over 600 Euros for Cubase SX3, I was broke, so I would have to make the decision to sell Cubase SX3 to buy Ableton.
So to come to that decision, I used a pirated Version of Live 6 for about a month or so and was blown away by it.... and it was half the price of Cubase at that time.
So I sold Cubase for around 450 euros and bought the boxed edition of Live 6 with the Essentials Collection 1 and 150 euro to spare. :)

So in my opinion. Pirating is only bad if you stick to it, use Products you know you love, but don't bother paying for it.
Or... you can use pirated software to test it without restrictions. Which is what I did.

I Guess it's just a matter of opinion to where to Draw the line.

In any case.... I always end up buying the software if I end up liking and it being Worth the Money. :wink:

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:02 pm

istlota

Post by istlota » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:29 pm

Ableton's 30 day free trial eliminates any reason [other than that you are just too cheap to pay for it] to use a crack version of Ableton.

If you really cannot afford it, as opposed to just being too cheap to pay for it, there are open source, albeit lesser quality, alternatives.

The biggest problem with people using crack software is that it justifies the mindset of software companies, Ableton included, that it is okay to inconvenience legitimate users in order to weed out crack addicts.

Case in point. I am using the 30 day Live 9 trial now. As I did with 8, my plan is to buy it when the trial period expires, which is why Ableton offers the 30 day trial for free. They know it is unthinkable to go back to 8 after using the new features of 9 for a month. The convert audio to midi feature alone is worth the upgrade price.

Unfortunately, to weed out the crack addicts, Ableton prevents the trial from recognizing legitimate live packs. Hence, even though I purchased OEE just before I downloaded the trial, I can not use that pack until I buy 9. It hurts me to even think about going back to 8 just so I can use OEE even though I am a legitimate owner of it.

Somewhere in this forum, there is a similar gripe I posted when I realized I couldn't use my legitimate EIC2 pack with the 8 trial I had just downloaded. It annoys me to no end that Ableton does this. But I also get that they do it because of the crack addicts.

tone61

Post by tone61 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:46 pm

I got Live7 Lite with my midi controller. No need to crack.

login

Post by login » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:12 pm

It isn't theft, you incur in other ilegal activities, like modifyng and copying IP without authorization.

doc holiday

Post by doc holiday » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:14 pm

istlota wrote: Unfortunately, to weed out the crack addicts, Ableton prevents the trial from recognizing legitimate live packs. Hence, even though I purchased OEE just before I downloaded the trial, I can not use that pack until I buy 9. It hurts me to even think about going back to 8 just so I can use OEE even though I am a legitimate owner of it.

um, we just threw it on a machine here at the office and it unlocked all of the live packs you can buy here on the site.

you don't want to use the new software with your old library anyway, what happens if you have to go ack to the old juju and it can't use your library.

never ever demo software in your working environment unless you are going to accept the fact that the new software could break it.

halblaine

You wouldn't download a car...

Post by halblaine » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:47 pm

I voted no, but I would totally do such a thing, and I think it's fine that people do. I just felt confident about buying it after I figured it would suit my needs (and I had the money) so I bought it. Poor people crack Live and make good music with it, so I'm certainly not comdemning software theft. I only condemn smug douchebags who feel they're entitled to what they pirate. If someone's reason is that they're low on funds, I say go ahead and pirate it and buy it later on when the software ends up making you money, or otherwise enrichening your life

madlab

Post by madlab » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:43 am

Never used a crack of live, bought it at version 1.5 and then bought every update. When live appeared, I felt right away that this would be my weapon of choice. But tbh I use cracks of other apps I don't use that much, considering buying them if I really come to use them. But I try to buy stuff from little companies or individuals.
Aboard from V. 1
MBP M1 Pro 2021 - 16 Go RAM - Monterey 12.6.3
MBP 2.5 Ghz I7 16 Go SSD OSX 10.14
iPad + Mira+ TouchOsc
RME FF UC Live 11.3.21 M4L Max 8
Band : https://elastocat.org/
Madlab sound unit / objects, guitar, electronics / end_of_transmission

carya

Post by carya » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:45 pm

I tried once and it crashed my PC immediately. I uninstalled it, bought a mac and used Logic for a few years before purchasing Live 8 w/free upgrade to 9. In other words I'm an extreme Live newbie.

schullermusik

Post by schullermusik » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:47 am

tone61 wrote:I got Live7 Lite with my midi controller. No need to crack.

What tone61 said. That was the "gateway drug" that got me in to Live 6 and from there, to Live 8 Suite and finally Live 9 Suite.