Live's Reverb

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Do you use Live's built in reverb as your go to reverb?

Yes
40%
No
43%
Only as an obvious 'effect'
17%

Total votes: 111

Aequitas123

Live's Reverb

Post by Aequitas123 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:07 pm

I've been hearing lots lately that Live's Reverb is not up to par for normal reverb use such as blending and room dynamics...etc.

I use it often and don't think it sounds bad at all. I almost always use "high" quality mode.

What about yous guyses?

mholloway

Re: Live's Reverb

Post by mholloway » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:12 pm

I use Uhbik ambience a lot too, but mostly I just grab the live verb. works well for my purposes, usually not drastic effects but just setting certain elements back in the mix.
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

Aequitas123

Post by Aequitas123 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:18 pm

I recently read the SoundonSound "Use Reverb Like a Pro" article (link) and found Live's Reverb works pretty well for the techniques described.

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:29 pm

I've had no problems getting it to do what I want it to, and I quite enjoy the sound.

andydes

Post by andydes » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:33 pm

I didn't vote because I use Live's reverb, but stuggle with it and am thinking about alternatives. Sure it's due to my own incompetance, but I just don't understand all the parameters that well.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:35 pm

I like it, but I like the visual representation you get in WaveArts Masterverb, which I tend to use too.

Prolly 50/50 for me. Not sure my ears are 'pro' enough to notice what the difference might be between lives and another more expensive verb unit. It is an easy go to and of course keeps the ol' CPU useage down a bit.

Aequitas123

Post by Aequitas123 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:01 pm

andydes wrote:I didn't vote because I use Live's reverb, but stuggle with it and am thinking about alternatives. Sure it's due to my own incompetance, but I just don't understand all the parameters that well.
I'm getting pretty used to it now, but I'm still a little confused about the Density, Scale, Defuse and Reflect parameters.

stutter

Post by stutter » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:17 pm

I think eco mode's where it's at. To those who have trouble using it for blending/natural response, there have been posts about this in the past - if you have Live 8 check out the new (I think) presets - some stereo verbs... and load up one of the natural drum kits and see how reverb is used there to produce a room sound. I admit I use it more as an effect than a natural sound, thus eco mode.

to the OP, if you feel that another reverb might produce different results (or want to try other presets, or recreating presets from a couple of verb's to see how they compare), there are a couple of great free vst reverbs: Epicverb, from Bootsie, and Ariesverb - the first of which is perhaps more suited to the needs you outlined.

Having just looked again at the original post - nice to see you're happy to use your own ears to decide; in that case why not stick with what you know and get to know it better?

malenko

Post by malenko » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:02 pm

I dont really like Live's reverb. While it may sound good it's too complicated for me to work with. I've tried getting to grips with it a couple of times but just gave up in the end. There's too much control for something that should be straight forward and simple.

I use Anwida Soft DX Reverb Light for my standard verbs which is great cause its simple and quick to use, very light on CPU (Live's isn't!) and best of all it's free!!

It's a shame, I was hoping there would be a simplified version in Live 8 :cry:

porfiry

Post by porfiry » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:53 pm

[quote="Aequitas123"]I'm getting pretty used to it now, but I'm still a little confused about the Density, Scale, Defuse and Reflect parameters.[/quote]

Density and Scale are just for the Diffuse/Chorus section, and I just diddle with them until they sound good. The Diffuse and Reflect parameters are basically mix knobs. Knowing this makes it easier to set the two sections of the verb...while you're setting up the early reflections section, you can turn the diffuse knob all the way down, and all you'll hear is the early reflections part. Ditto with setting up the diffuse section, just turn the reflect knob all the way down. When they're both set up tastily, mix in the amount of each that sounds right.

One other thing that really helps setting up the verb is to crank it to 100% at least part of the time you're using it, so you can specifically hear what just the verb alone is doing, and then drop the mix back when it sounds good.

Apologies if you know everything I'm telling you already, but it took me a couple times reading about the effect in the manual before I started feeling like I knew how to use it.

Aequitas123

Post by Aequitas123 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:58 pm

stutter wrote:I think eco mode's where it's at.
Why would you think eco mode is good? I find it sounds really thin while the High mode sounds nice and warm.

porfiry wrote:Density and Scale are just for the Diffuse/Chorus section, and I just diddle with them until they sound good.
Thanks for the tips. I'll do some playing around soon with Defuse and Reflect

porfiry

Post by porfiry » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:16 pm

I think of eco and medium modes as being a lot like the 24/48 selector on EQ3...they give different flavors at the same general setting. Sometimes Eco is just what sounds the best, because you might be looking for fakey. I wouldn't ever use it just because I was trying to save processor.

I might add, if you're mainly using verbs for things like vocals and realism isn't the foremost concern, Audio Damage Reverence is righteous. You can really warm 'n fatten up a vocal with it, it sounds professional as hell. Stupid easy to understand, too, just a simple predelay/diffusion length/room size section, a middle section of EQ boost/cut controls, and a section to the right with input level and mix sliders. I prefer the Ableton verb for most instruments, but Reverence is the only thing I've been using on vocals lately. It would probably work pretty nicely to use in a return and send a few poofy acoustic instrument tracks to it at once, too.

stutter

Post by stutter » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:18 pm

well, I have other reverbs that I think sound more natural, or more lush, than Live's. I like Live's reverb for a particular sound: in eco mode it can sound kind of electronic or metallic, in a good way.
I'm tired, and probably not explaining myself at all well.

Aequitas123

Post by Aequitas123 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:58 pm

stutter wrote:well, I have other reverbs that I think sound more natural, or more lush, than Live's. I like Live's reverb for a particular sound: in eco mode it can sound kind of electronic or metallic, in a good way.
I'm tired, and probably not explaining myself at all well.
No you're still making sense! I don't use Live's Eco mode particularly because of that electronic/metallic sound. Different strokes for different folks.

Which reverbs do you use instead for more natural and lush sounds? and are they free?

mihai

Post by mihai » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:08 am

i haven't had a problem with live's reverb, it's a great effect. like many have said before, doesn't matter what you work with as long as you know how to work it.