Do you equate Hip Hop listenership with shady activity?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tone Deft

Re: Do you equate Hip Hop listenership with shady activity?

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:21 pm

stringtapper wrote:Define "shady."

FWIW O'Reily getting all whiny about Eminem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPfNdWe5 ... re=related
:cry:
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

mihai

Post by mihai » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:26 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
stringtapper wrote:Define "shady."

FWIW O'Reily getting all whiny about Eminem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPfNdWe5 ... re=related
:cry:
he ain't just shady, he slim.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:41 pm

beats me wrote:
leisuremuffin wrote:
beats me wrote:dredd i knight, I've said several times this has nothing to do with race so we can drop that from the general assumption in the main point.

i call bullshit.

of course it has to do with race.
you can say it doesn't as many times as you want to, that doesn't make it true.

.lm.
If it was only black people listening to Hip Hop and acting and talking like thugs then you would be correct.

first of all, we're not talking about everyone that listens to hip hop, we're talking about your black neighbors that listen to hip hop and sketch you out.

second of all, hip hop music is just hip hop music.
not all people that listen to black metal kill and eat each other even if the music says to do it and some of the musicians do.
why would you think of hip hop any differently?

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:55 pm

it's all relative. Music has nothing to do with it but for those who choose to make the connection it matters, fine. Music, sports, beer, etc, people will find their asshole outlet or associated asshole group to be protected from their nemesis - authority - aka parents, boss, irs, cops, yada yada.... Loud music of any sort that intrudes on a apt building means one thing, "I'm the man"... for right now... This is why idle threats don't work with that. Ya gotta come from the sugar end.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:11 pm

knotkranky wrote:iLoud music of any sort that intrudes on a apt building means one thing, "I'm the man"... for right now... This is why idle threats don't work with that. Ya gotta come from the sugar end.
Not if you're actually shadier than they appear to be...
Unsound Designer

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:50 pm

leisuremuffin wrote:first of all, we're not talking about everyone that listens to hip hop, we're talking about your black neighbors that listen to hip hop and sketch you out.

second of all, hip hop music is just hip hop music.
not all people that listen to black metal kill and eat each other even if the music says to do it and some of the musicians do.
why would you think of hip hop any differently?

.lm.
Maybe in Norway, but I haven't heard about a rash of crime happening in the US from a bunch of Black Metal fans.

I'm not trying to skirt the race issue here but I did say it probably wouldn't matter what race the people are except possibly Indians (India Indians). Know any thuggish Indians? I'd be fascinated. The ones here tend to be career fast trackers.

And I also wasn't just asking what people think of my specific situation, but more of a general question of how they feel around Hip Hop fans of any race acting the part sensationalized by commercial Hip Hop.

dredd i knight

Post by dredd i knight » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:52 pm

@Beatsme
Up until the point you mentioned race it WASN'T a race thing. After that it became clear your neighbours were black, and that every time you'd mentioned Hip Hop etc, there was a presupposition that they were black and we all knew they were black....
After that I reread your post as "fear of them black guys who were playing loud rap music, and doing things that I didnt feel comfortable with." And no its just you that feels that, a lot of people do, but lets not turm it into a club, where we can all chime in with our scary stories bout that bunch of hoppers, or this crew of hoodeis down on the corner, because whatever language you wrap it up in, we all know whats reall y being said.
like has been said talk to these scary people, and you'll probably find that they aint that scary after all; its just that you dont know shit about them yet....

dredd i knight

Post by dredd i knight » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:55 pm

And yes there really are violent indian people too..
WTF??

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:16 pm

Never seen roving gangs of thug Hip Hop Indians but if you say they are out there so be it. Just haven't seen them.

But everybody is right that I should get to know people on an individual basis and not judge solely on their music taste and behavior.

dredd i knight

Post by dredd i knight » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:36 pm

open your eyes wide enough, travel far enough, and you'll see everything, even hippy, hip hop black folk...really.
try leicester uk for thug indian hip hop crews.
you know you gotta stop the generalising; its still about stereotypes to you. i could care less about how people are supposed to act, i'd rather go on how they do act, and more importantly what they're like. loud music, hopping out back, hip hop, all seemed like a codified way of addressing some other ish.
I feel its about the choice to look out through eyes of hate, fear and ignorance, of love, peace and understanding..
thats all i'm saying.

SimonPHC

Post by SimonPHC » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:51 pm

This is an interesting thread.

Here in Europe Hip Hop culture, in all it's diversity and history (which I know a tiny bit of by local dvd shops renting out e.g. Wild Style), has in my opinion recently been marketed as a 'Bad Ass' culture. So much I'm kind of relieved Warp picked up on Flyin' Lotus and not Death Row Rec. This way I have a virtual greencard to listen to hip-hop-ish music, without having to deal with any of the (highly marketed) bad ass imagery. The music on itself speaks [via Warp and their alt marketing] and not the Thug imagery.

And that's my main 'problem' with Hip-Hop culture, maybe also Rock culture, or perhaps USA culture in its exported form (to us Europeans). You don't need to be bad ass to be real. You just need to be yourself. And the bad ass imagery is IMHO just a blindfold for a deeper personal emptiness.

So in conclusion, yes, Hip-Hop as it now being marketed towards mainstream audiences (in Europe and possibly the World) is the promotion of a flat and empty hollow 'Thug-ness' that has no deeper values. And this is copied by young people who are just learning about self-value, community values and the general future of human kind. Or not, if you catch my drift. And the same might apply for beats me his neighbours, no matter what their age, sex, sexual preference, skin colour or religion is.

If you project an image, you're bound to have something bounce back.

dcease

Post by dcease » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:56 pm

you know who i am afraid of??? fat, balding, christian, middle-age white guys with glasses, who look like they might have a touch of the down... i am convinced they are all child molesters. yes, yes, i know, prejudiced... i am what i am.

SimonPHC

Post by SimonPHC » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:58 pm

dcease wrote:you know who i am afraid of??? fat, balding, christian, middle-age white guys with glasses, who look like they might have a touch of the down... i am convinced they are all child molesters. yes, yes, i know, prejudiced... i am what i am.
Is it because I'm Belgian?!

dcease

Post by dcease » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:00 pm

SimonPHC wrote:
dcease wrote:you know who i am afraid of??? fat, balding, christian, middle-age white guys with glasses, who look like they might have a touch of the down... i am convinced they are all child molesters. yes, yes, i know, prejudiced... i am what i am.
Is it because I'm Belgian?!
if you would have said french, then i would definitely have said yes :P

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:08 pm

touch of the down....lol. Jesus.

@beats, in addition to your fear of black people, you've got balls for starting this thread. That much needs to be said. :P
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x