Do you equate Hip Hop listenership with shady activity?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
d.reamonn

Re: Do you equate Hip Hop listenership with shady activity?

Post by d.reamonn » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:51 pm

i like dope dealers, but 'part from krs one, i don't like much in the way of rap.

am i normal?

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:13 pm

Yes. Goodie Mob's album Soul Food is also fantastic, IMO.

sowhoso

Post by sowhoso » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:06 pm

I don't know squat about hip hop but when a kid cudi song comes on I turn it up

yo!

infiniteB

Post by infiniteB » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:19 pm

funny, but I always equated hip hop listeners with intellectuals... didn't always apply, but usually does. Rap can sometimes be a different story. All in all though, sociologically, music does not define the person, and to equate hip hop with shadiness (when hip hop is quite often the most purely intellectual non-violent movement of the century - KRS-ONE, Gangstarr, Talib Kweli, Atmosphere, Killah Priest, Common, etc...) is quite honestly ignorant, prejudice, and just plain dumb...
PRODUCER/LYRICIST

(SNEAK PREVIEW OF MY ALBUM)
SOUNDCLOUD
http://soundcloud.com/infinitebeyond/
MYSPACE
http://www.myspace.com/infiniteb
TWITTER:
http://twitter.com/InfiniteBeyond

starving student

Post by starving student » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:44 pm

Tone Deft wrote:your balls are 350 miles long? 8O
there's a black joke in there somewhere :lol:

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:54 am

Honestly, when white people seem really, really, really, really, really into hip hop- I think that's kinda shady. I don't know why. Probably some mild latent reverse-reverse racism thing on my part. I just think it's odd. Then again I think the whole indie-folk thing is odd too. Like what, you're originally from the mountains of appalachia? Suburbs giving ya the upper middle class blues?

I just think people should listen to the music that I'd assume they'd listen to. Otherwise it's just too confusing. :?

OvertoneZero

Post by OvertoneZero » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:07 am

Gangsta rap is the shittiest form of music ever developed by a human civilization

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:12 am

OvertoneZero wrote:Gangsta rap is the shittiest form of music ever developed by a human civilization
havent heard of the black eyed pees then?

OvertoneZero

Post by OvertoneZero » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:34 am

There has been so much negative shit going on lately.. fuck

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:45 am

infiniteB wrote:(when hip hop is quite often the most purely intellectual non-violent movement of the century - KRS-ONE, Gangstarr, Talib Kweli, Atmosphere, Killah Priest, Common, etc...) is quite honestly ignorant, prejudice, and just plain dumb...
Really? I mean, really? You think Hip Hop is an intellect magnet? You and I live in completely different bubbles and neither one of them is completely right. Whenever I hear some random person quoting rap/hip hop lyrics it's never from the intelligent variety.

The third bubble we have in common is the Ableton forum and quite honestly the average non-musician or non-DJ music listener doesn't put as much weight, depth, and analysis into the music and lyrics they listen to as we do in places like this. I have yet to meet one person who isn't a musician or DJ drop some Hip Hop tunes on me that aren't commercial and the furthest thing from intelligent.

Cool Character

Post by Cool Character » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:12 am

aisling wrote::D reminds me of a conversation I once had with a "hard core" rapper I crossed paths with at the grocery store check out one late night when I lived in the lake merrit area of Oakland. Upon scanning his food selection, I proceeded to inform him not to feel betrayed if he "misses" the revolution because he was poorly nourished. I further instructed him that us white devils will always have the upper hand if he is spun out on refined carbohydrates, hight fructose corn syrup, and trans fatty acids, let alone the poor quality of meats (it all clouds his mind). I suggested that he shake the chains of bondage and set himself free, empower himself, by taking responsibility for his body, mind and soul.......I went on to further imply that a proper exercise regiment, 8-9 hours of sleep, and substituting the shitty beer for good hydrating water, will give him the mind and body strength to smoke whitey when the time comes.....I made a subtle insinuation that if he can't smoke whitey and must retreat, it may be worth having clothing that allows you to get the fuck out with out having to worry if it will fall down during the process.....

Comming from an opinionated loud east coaster as my self, I think I freaked the guy out so much, he may be listening to house music now......Actually it was all said respectfully, encouragingly, and with the intent to inspire and motivate my brother from another mother to evolve his humanity.....But the point was made!

How can you respectfully call a complete stranger a militant supremacist?

And how can you brag about being such a fat, hostile yuppie? Maybe your patronizing advice could have been better spent on your own people in the 1930s.

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:04 am

OvertoneZero wrote:Gangsta rap is the shittiest form of music ever developed by a human civilization
bullshit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkb4rP6Jq1Q

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:13 am

beats me wrote:
infiniteB wrote:(when hip hop is quite often the most purely intellectual non-violent movement of the century - KRS-ONE, Gangstarr, Talib Kweli, Atmosphere, Killah Priest, Common, etc...) is quite honestly ignorant, prejudice, and just plain dumb...
Really? I mean, really? You think Hip Hop is an intellect magnet? You and I live in completely different bubbles and neither one of them is completely right. Whenever I hear some random person quoting rap/hip hop lyrics it's never from the intelligent variety.

The third bubble we have in common is the Ableton forum and quite honestly the average non-musician or non-DJ music listener doesn't put as much weight, depth, and analysis into the music and lyrics they listen to as we do in places like this. I have yet to meet one person who isn't a musician or DJ drop some Hip Hop tunes on me that aren't commercial and the furthest thing from intelligent.

I completely agree with this sentiment but where we might disagree is in that I believe it depends on the circles you dwell in, most of my non-musician peers don't go for that commercial shit on any level, but it comes down to who you hang with, and that's our own choice, I I chose to hang around with those types of people I'd have to smack people all day long and that's stringtappers job.

you could blame hiphop (if you didn't know that shit wasn't hiphop) or you could blame yourself for living next to theives, I live in an isolated place now, no neighbors, but before this I was in the projects, I was never suprised to see gangsters, so first you might wanna get to another environment, and talk to some other kind of people, who have some other kind of thoughts in their heads, and might say things that you are not used to hearing in your circles.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:45 am

starving student wrote:I I chose to hang around with those types of people I'd have to smack people all day long and that's stringtappers job.
Did somebody say "you people?" :mrgreen:

I'll have you know I've got some new year's resolutions. Cigarettes and assaults are off the table in 2010.
Unsound Designer

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:17 pm

starving student wrote:
beats me wrote:

I completely agree with this sentiment but where we might disagree is in that I believe it depends on the circles you dwell in, most of my non-musician peers don't go for that commercial shit on any level, but it comes down to who you hang with, and that's our own choice, I I chose to hang around with those types of people I'd have to smack people all day long and that's stringtappers job.

you could blame hiphop (if you didn't know that shit wasn't hiphop) or you could blame yourself for living next to theives, I live in an isolated place now, no neighbors, but before this I was in the projects, I was never suprised to see gangsters, so first you might wanna get to another environment, and talk to some other kind of people, who have some other kind of thoughts in their heads, and might say things that you are not used to hearing in your circles.
I don't think we're disagreeing here. I'm too lazy to go back through this entire thread but I believe that my point was largely based on people you don't know and aren't in your circle...the randoms you just hear blaring Hip Hop which is usually the commercial gangster variety and you start mentally connecting the dots, right or wrong.