Do you equate Hip Hop listenership with shady activity?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
aisling

Re: Do you equate Hip Hop listenership with shady activity?

Post by aisling » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:25 pm

beats me wrote:I don't think the debate of what is hip hop and rap exactly enters into it because I don't think the people I am talking about know either or care, but yeah, it's not just the music, it's displaying a certain lifestyle and posturing.

It has been engrained in me since an early age to have an irrational fear about the safety of myself and property with almost zero personal experience. I should probably just let it go until proven otherwise.

But last night when my roommate and I watched our neighbor hop his railing at about 10:30 my roommate turned to me and said "yup, time to go to Home Depot and get that sliding glass door bolt" and I was sold. All it takes is one other person to slightly share my irrational concerns and I'm "ah crap, it's going down!"
why not get a pit-bull instead? :D
If safety and security is what you're really after, a french poodle would probably be a better bet, and they are hypo allergenic..... (forgive me I am being obnoxious now)
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:27 pm

aisling wrote:
beats me wrote:I don't think the debate of what is hip hop and rap exactly enters into it because I don't think the people I am talking about know either or care, but yeah, it's not just the music, it's displaying a certain lifestyle and posturing.

It has been engrained in me since an early age to have an irrational fear about the safety of myself and property with almost zero personal experience. I should probably just let it go until proven otherwise.

But last night when my roommate and I watched our neighbor hop his railing at about 10:30 my roommate turned to me and said "yup, time to go to Home Depot and get that sliding glass door bolt" and I was sold. All it takes is one other person to slightly share my irrational concerns and I'm "ah crap, it's going down!"
Our complex only allows guard cats. My roommate has 2 fishtanks but that hasn't done much to comfort us. :)

scott nathaniel

Post by scott nathaniel » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:28 pm

aisling wrote:

If safety and security is what you're really after, a french poodle would probably be a better bet, and they are hypo allergenic..... (forgive me I am being obnoxious now)
He can't because:
pitbulls = hip hop = shady activity.

aisling

Post by aisling » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:36 pm

beats me wrote:
aisling wrote:

Our complex only allows guard cats. My roommate has 2 fishtanks but that hasn't done much to comfort us. :)
well get a guard cat, starve it, abuse it and feed it gun powder.......(I love cats actually, so don't)
Maybe a trip wire that stimulates an alarm to play Michael bolton, meat loaf, or billy ray Cyrus very loud.... would stop just about anything in it's tracks......Even billy ray him self (hopefully tone deft is not billy ray masquerading on the forum looking for a collaboration that will revive his career)

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:43 pm

beats me wrote:dredd i knight, I've said several times this has nothing to do with race so we can drop that from the general assumption in the main point.

i call bullshit.

of course it has to do with race.
you can say it doesn't as many times as you want to, that doesn't make it true.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:53 pm

Tone Deft wrote:Oakland is safe? LOLZ! highest murder rate in the state. there are nice parts of it but do you watch the news? cops getting shot, the cops shooting that guy in BART on New Years (cop claims to have confused his gun with his tazer!) there are definitely nice parts of town, but Oakland is in trouble these days.
No one is safe from stupid cops in any town.

As for highest murder rate in the state, fair enough. I actually was thinking about that when I was posting. I think its one of the highest in the country too... What makes someone murder another person though? I mean that's a whole other thread but these "random acts of violence" aren't always as random as the news report would leave you believing. You generally have to piss someone off pretty bad to have them kill you...

My experiences in Oakland have all been good ones and I go there pretty often.
Tone Deft wrote:Pharcyde is from LA, Lyrics Born and Blackalicious are from Davis
Yeah? Tell them that. If you really want to split hairs I actually said "in or around Oakland" It doesn't matter where they're from anyway. The minor point was more about the area than the exact neighborhood and more to the point was the music.
Tone Deft wrote: again and again, Hip Hop is a culture, rap is an art form. rap is a subset of Hip Hop.

You can argue that shit till the cows come home but does it make the point in regards to contrast any less valid? Should Sepultura and Jane's Addiction both be considered rock?
Is Kid Rock country?

At the end of the day its more of a type of person or culture such as Hip Hop culture vs. Punk etc so its all just one scene or another... and beats me's neighbors still sound like they might be a little shady.

Get the bolt. It can't hurt.
Last edited by H20nly on Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:55 pm

^ bunch of excuses defending bad info. wrong is wrong.
"Obsession is a great substitute for talent." - Steve Martin on learning the banjo

Dell Inspiron 15 7000, Live 10.1, Win10 Home, Edirol UA101, APC40, Remote SL, SPD-SX, mic, guitars, JX305, Nova
soundcloud.com/tone-deft

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:59 pm

What bad info?
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:02 pm

I don't have time to read all this nonsense, so if it's been said too bad.

Beats Me, have you had a conversation with the guy? Just in passing kind of thing? I make an effort to talk to my neighbors, even the white-trash wife beaters, so that I have some sort of rapport when I need to talk to them about beating their bitches.

Why don't you catch him in the parking lot sometime and chat about ... music? What you like about hip hop or something. Then he'll talk about what he likes, then you guys are pals, and next thing you know you may have a new buddy to smoke your herb with.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:05 pm

we're getting off into the weeds...

the bands you mentioned that aren't from Oakland.

Oakland being a safe town. there are parts of it that are great but any local will tell you that 2009 has been a really rough year for Oakland.

the whole thing on hip hop vs. rap, I do agree with you, I'd rather not go there. you get it or you don't, I think you get it, don't care if others do or not.

the only thing that disturbs me about 'kids' hopping balconies and going through bushes is that I remember what I was like at that age. I wouldn't want to be my age and live near me at half the age. loud, destructive, obnoxious and up all night.
:oops:

pulsoc - nice call. even when someone just knows your name it can make all the difference in the world.
"Obsession is a great substitute for talent." - Steve Martin on learning the banjo

Dell Inspiron 15 7000, Live 10.1, Win10 Home, Edirol UA101, APC40, Remote SL, SPD-SX, mic, guitars, JX305, Nova
soundcloud.com/tone-deft

rapidix

Post by rapidix » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:16 pm

beats me wrote:At first I thought this might be some kind of racist thing I was doing but then figured out I'd probably feel the same way about every nationality exhibiting this behavior with the possible exception of Indians.
and
leisuremuffin wrote:
beats me wrote:dredd i knight, I've said several times this has nothing to do with race so we can drop that from the general assumption in the main point.
i call bullshit.
yeah, i'm sorry, but this is definitely a conversation with racial undertones. is your neighbor a white dude that keeps jumping off his balcony into some bushes? is he japanese? my guess is you bringing up hip hop music is just a way for you to feel comfortable about your insecurities with hip hop culture. this post has little to do with hip hop music. it has to do with the presumptions you hold about the people who are targeted by hip hop, which means blacks. hip hop is a lifestyle. what is wrong with them displaying their lifestyle? and how does this all equate to the possibility of having your shit stolen?

also, if your first thought is thinking this might be racist, your first thought is most likely correct. so yeah, i'm with lm; this is definitely a race issue. my advice is to go up and talk to them.

joeyfivecents

Post by joeyfivecents » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:18 pm

aisling wrote:
channelite wrote:I would only be intimidated hearing loud rap music when in such a neighborhood as Bed Stuy Brooklyn at night time. But in Las Vegas, people who play loud rap music pose no threat. I'm more afraid of loud country music and pick up trucks.
I have to agree. I have been all over the country in urban and rural areas, and most insecure I ever felt was one time when I pulled off the side of the road in north Georgia to play some guitar while driving cross country.......A truck full of rednecks, blaring hank Williams, Jr., slowed down and stopped. Having NJ license plates did not help, but I came close to "shitting" my self, thankfully some oncoming traffic diffused the situation.
I'm from that part of the country. They were probably stopping because they saw you playing a guitar. They could have just wanted to hear some pickin'
Nobody cares about the plates especially country people. Honestly, rednecks' barks are almost always way worse than their bites.
iMac, MacBook Pro, Live Suite, Reason, Logic Pro, Melodyne, FL Studio, iConnect Audio4+, Little Martin, ukelele, Fender Jaguar, pedalboard, amps, mics .
http://www.soundcloud.com/gradynickel

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:46 pm

leisuremuffin wrote:

i call bullshit.

.lm.
If it was only black people listening to Hip Hop and acting and talking like thugs then you would be correct.

aisling

Post by aisling » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:49 pm

joeyfivecents wrote:
aisling wrote:
channelite wrote:I would only be intimidated hearing loud rap music when in such a neighborhood as Bed Stuy Brooklyn at night time. But in Las Vegas, people who play loud rap music pose no threat. I'm more afraid of loud country music and pick up trucks.
I have to agree. I have been all over the country in urban and rural areas, and most insecure I ever felt was one time when I pulled off the side of the road in north Georgia to play some guitar while driving cross country.......A truck full of rednecks, blaring hank Williams, Jr., slowed down and stopped. Having NJ license plates did not help, but I came close to "shitting" my self, thankfully some oncoming traffic diffused the situation.
I'm from that part of the country. They were probably stopping because they saw you playing a guitar. They could have just wanted to hear some pickin'
Nobody cares about the plates especially country people. Honestly, rednecks' barks are almost always way worse than their bites.
I appreciate that clarification....Just goes to show how stereotypes induce ignorance....which induces a mis perception of reality.......The irony was that I was going through my speed metal phase at the time, so they could not have been interested in hearin me "groove".....it would be another 5 years until I calmed down enough to discover the "groove" (going back 15 years now :oops: )

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:18 pm

Define "shady."
Unsound Designer