Parameter Names in Automap

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
evanb

Parameter Names in Automap

Post by evanb » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:15 pm

So I have a novation remote 37sl and while automap is cool how many of you find it useful for plugin controls? The names of the parameters that come up are so cryptic most of the time its hard to tell what is what. anyone find a easy way to deal with this?

I find myself tweaking knobs to find out whats what

stutter

Re: Parameter Names in Automap

Post by stutter » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:13 pm

can't say I have that problem. However, automap becomes a lot more useful once you've set up your own mappings and re-arranged the order of the parameters. While you're doing that, and figuring out which is which , you can re-name them. Once you've done that, save the mapping, and then set it as default for that plug-in/client.

evanb

Post by evanb » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:07 pm

stutter wrote:can't say I have that problem. However, automap becomes a lot more useful once you've set up your own mappings and re-arranged the order of the parameters. While you're doing that, and figuring out which is which , you can re-name them. Once you've done that, save the mapping, and then set it as default for that plug-in/client.

So are you setting a custom mapping for each vst?

Android Bishop

Post by Android Bishop » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:17 pm

Yeah thats how I do it. I clear out all the automap controls and set up the parameters I want control over in a way that makes sense to me and behaves the way I want it (i.e. I can have a button that scrolls through the filter types of osc waveforms depending on the number of choices I have available). Automap really shines here, depending on random assignment is bad policy

Note that for really big plugins, I only map what I want immediate control over and just add shit as I need it. No sense spending an hour mapping controls when I can just do it on the fly and save it for later.

evanb

Post by evanb » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:33 pm

Android Bishop wrote:Yeah thats how I do it. I clear out all the automap controls and set up the parameters I want control over in a way that makes sense to me and behaves the way I want it (i.e. I can have a button that scrolls through the filter types of osc waveforms depending on the number of choices I have available). Automap really shines here, depending on random assignment is bad policy

Note that for really big plugins, I only map what I want immediate control over and just add shit as I need it. No sense spending an hour mapping controls when I can just do it on the fly and save it for later.

Awesome I wil try it, hows doe the mapping get saved, do I have to save a new template in ableton for each one?

Android Bishop

Post by Android Bishop » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:42 pm

evanb wrote:
Android Bishop wrote:Yeah thats how I do it. I clear out all the automap controls and set up the parameters I want control over in a way that makes sense to me and behaves the way I want it (i.e. I can have a button that scrolls through the filter types of osc waveforms depending on the number of choices I have available). Automap really shines here, depending on random assignment is bad policy

Awesome I wil try it, hows doe the mapping get saved, do I have to save a new template in ableton for each one?
mappings either get saved for that particular project, or if you save a rack it gets saved with the rack, or you can save it as an .automap file through the automap server GUI to load later, or save is as the DEFAULT map which will bring that map up every time you open the plugin from that point on.