Read this before you start sharing your next tune..

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nq

Re: Read this before you start sharing your next tune..

Post by nq » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:48 am

ah ok. i must have misunderstood you.

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:32 am

Nice thread!

I usually don't like to be present when someone else listens to one of my tracks for the first time... I can feel myself being almost too intense during the playback.. It's horrible!

But it is a great feeling when someone gives you some real positive feedback.. And I think possibly even more these days, as there is so much music out there..

I'm at a point where I just want to get my stuff out and heard......

I see what you're saying about being really focused on how you build your profile. But you know I really think that if you are making cutting edge stuff, and you are active in self promotion i.e. web, live shows, merchandise etc, then good things will happen for you..

Let's be honest, it is not only the music that determines success.. There are also a lot of other factors involved..

I actually think that there is too much emphasis on the business end of music making... (from the artists perspective)

The different types of listener also have different perspectives when listening to music.. The 'fan' can become a critique, the 'student', a 'fan', etc.. everyone can become the one.. nothing/no-one is so 'fixed'....

You look at putting up your tunes (myspaz, soundcloud etc) as 'selling yourself short', however equally it could be seen as believing in your creative process and involving others in that..

So yeah FWIW my view is make music, get it out there to as many people as you can, be active and believe in your self.. The rest will come..

Hd

ciw

Post by ciw » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:52 am

innerstatejt: good post, got me thinking.

I had a similar experience with one of my tunes - somehow through mates copying mp3s of each other it ended up on the hard disk of a mate of mine without him knowing who it was. We only realised when he tried to google the artist and found it was me. And I have so many critical things to say about that tune ... too repetetive, too much reverb, not enough progression... :D

In a wider sense it brings up the question of how to evaluate art. I mean, what is good music, and what is shit music?

ciw

Post by ciw » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:07 am

heavensdaw wrote: I usually don't like to be present when someone else listens to one of my tracks for the first time... I can feel myself being almost too intense during the playback.. It's horrible!
Something I try to do is put on a tune, telling a friend that it's mine, but then start chatting over it. It breaks up the intensity and allows them to appreciate it in a background-type-way, and if the music is as good as I think then they'll still like it.

Talking of positive feedback I'm really enjoying your myspace Hd!

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:45 am

I utterly agree, its all in the perception of the listener. If i played my friends an Aphex twin track and said it was mine they would probably rip into it. stuff like, why is the bass drum to quiet, its too busy, too much reverb, the synths are out of tune. It goes to show 99.9% of it is in your head. Which backups my idea that all music is worthwhile and yet worthless in equal measure. Just write for yourself, and if others like it , then its a bonus.

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:49 pm

ciw wrote:[Talking of positive feedback I'm really enjoying your myspace Hd!
Geee Thanks!! :D beam!!

Just been listening (again) to your tunes... Very nice work!

Keep it real!

Hd

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:09 pm

I agree with the OP 90%...
with the exception of real talent...
(you know...
kinda people that put you and your buddies all in awe doing their thing..)

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Great thread!

Yea, perception is huge. Half of the members of the band I'm in now were previously in a very popular (around here) band. We now have a hard time getting a fair hearing in this town because a lot of people have so many pre-conecptions because of the previous band.

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:36 pm

funknotik wrote:
liveISlife wrote:Interesting. Yeah I like how you talked about someone listening to your track knowing that it is yours and with the intention of critiquing it opposed to if they are just chilling bumping some tunes. It's really amazing how the difference in these two perspective can create such a different listening experience.

human consciousness= beautiful 8)

I always tell people it's some one else, just so I can get an honest reaction. Alot of people have unknowingly told me I suck and should give it up. LOL! Most of the time I don't even tell them it's me.
me too.. i play music in my pedicab while i work. so i'll drop my tracks on random people to see the reactions of the general public. if they react in a positive manor i will promote my band to them :)

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:47 pm

Set and Setting.. So very important.... Or IS it?....

(To throw in another 'perspective') I remember when I was working with a producer who was very successful (back in the days :wink: ). Well, he said '99% of your audience are one eared listeners'... I asked him what he was talking about.. And he replied 'that very few people REALLY LISTEN, but are always either doing or thinking something else WHILST they're listening'..

We've become more and more 'anal' about every little thing.. 'Pleasing ourselves', you could say.. Music is a vibe, a feeling, a creative outpouring. Let's just make it and see where it takes us and those who choose to listen, be it with one, two or three ears!

*Joke... How many ears had Davey Crocket? Answer Three.. Left ear, Right ear and a WILD FRONT EAR! :D ... sorry for that!

Hd

tkarmakid

Post by tkarmakid » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:53 pm

Nice post. I get it, though i have not previously given it that much thought, but people do make generalizations and its a good idea to put some thought into how you want to present you work. Good information to know, now i just need to make a good track worthy of using that info on :lol:

bridgealantee

Post by bridgealantee » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:10 pm

Thanks for this post. I have a release coming up and have been pondering these kinds of questions. Really helps put some things into perspective.

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:03 pm

good advice man thx, I´ve done those mistakes a lot in the past.
KnobCloud - marketplace for audio software

jcwillia

Post by jcwillia » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:06 pm

My favorite was when my cousin said "I listened to your song that you posted on Facebook. I thought it was boring. Where were the words?"

Thanks. Please take the knife with you as you walk away.

Then there was my brother last weekend who said "color me impressed!" after listening to a carefully chosen snippet of one of my songs :)

I walked tall for a good half hour after that feedback.

My wife has learned to say "Cool!" in her most sincere tone whenever I play something for her. My favorite moments are when I play some Moby and she says "Did YOU write that?" I laugh, and then say "Yea, why?" :twisted:
Composition Name : JRock3x8
Soundcloud | Blog

nezzyidy

Post by nezzyidy » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:22 pm

>"I don't take insults too seriously, actually I don't take compliments too seriously either.
>
>It's all relative isn't it? lighten up friend,
>
>Now lets get back to the converation at hand...."

Well handled, innerstatejt.

:)