audio interfaces

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
interceptor

Re: audio interfaces

Post by interceptor » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:22 pm

Can anyone with a Duet comment on the latency in comparison to the macs internal soundcard?

Thanks

Kilroy

Post by Kilroy » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:52 am

I use the Presonus Firebox live on stage with Ableton all the time. I have never had a snap crackle or pop. Sounds great, and built like a tank. It also runs off the firewire bus so one fewer power supply to drag around.

K.

Mr Mowgli

Post by Mr Mowgli » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:55 am

I always say - MOTU 828 MKII or Traveller, just becuase I have had great experiences with them!

Ben Jay - Founder, Prime Loops [2GB Free Download for my friends...Click Banner!]

joeyfivecents

Post by joeyfivecents » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:16 am

I'm using an Apogee Duet. The preamps are nice. My only gripe is that it is only 2 inputs and 2 outputs but I knew that going in. Hence the name. It's one of the best $500 purchases I've ever made. Very clean preamps.
iMac, MacBook Pro, Live Suite, Reason, Logic Pro, Melodyne, FL Studio, iConnect Audio4+, Little Martin, ukelele, Greco gtrs, pedalboard, amps, mics .
http://www.soundcloud.com/gradynickel

joeyfivecents

Post by joeyfivecents » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:19 am

Oh yeah, the latency. I usually keep it at about 10ms. I've never tried to go lower but I don't see why it wouldn't. I've never had any hiccups or dropouts. Although, when Live 7 first came out I was getting horrible latency, especially using Rewire but they fixed it. 8 works fine with. The breakout cable looks a little goofy though.
iMac, MacBook Pro, Live Suite, Reason, Logic Pro, Melodyne, FL Studio, iConnect Audio4+, Little Martin, ukelele, Greco gtrs, pedalboard, amps, mics .

rsagevik

Post by rsagevik » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:48 am

I just recently got a Duet as well.
Very happy with it so far. Very good sound quality, and the latency is
not a problem for me(I don't remember what latency I'm at at the moment)
..but as joeyfeivecents points out.. the breakout cable is a little goofy.
you can however get the breakout box from http://www.duetbreakout.com/
if that should be of interest.

shalmaneser

Post by shalmaneser » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:22 pm

Sorry tried to reply to teh two requests for clarification but it didn't seem to go through.

On the price anything up to £300 (GBP) thats currently 444.15 U.S. dollars or 340.50138 Euros - although if you proce something from outside the UK it normally costs more than just the conversion here (Moog proices went up by 25% over the last few months).

As for needs -
something I can rely on not crash when I'm performing live
an old-fashioned MIDI interface (5-pinDIN)
reasonable sound quality (noise levels/frequency response/glitches etc.)
Phantom powered XLR mic inputs/Line jack inputs 2 inputs needed, those combined types as on the m-audios would do. High Z guitar input would be useful.
2 or 4 line outputs.
Headphone monitoring
That's about it really. It will be used with a laptop for live performance but I'd like enough features for modest home recording as well.

Thanks,

Jim

joeyfivecents

Post by joeyfivecents » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:30 am

Actually, with this new version of Live, my latency with the Duet is sort of high.

Kilroy

Post by Kilroy » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:34 pm

I will again recommend the Presonus Firebox. It is $299, and has everything below. There are two Neutrik balanced combo inputs on the front and 6 more TRS balanced quarter-inch ins on the back. It has a headphone jack with a separate volume control. I play it live every week with no problems. I have a friend who does the same thing (only he is playing for like 20,000 people), and they run all their tracks, softsynths, etc. through it for their whole show.
shalmaneser wrote:Sorry tried to reply to teh two requests for clarification but it didn't seem to go through.

On the price anything up to £300 (GBP) thats currently 444.15 U.S. dollars or 340.50138 Euros - although if you proce something from outside the UK it normally costs more than just the conversion here (Moog proices went up by 25% over the last few months).

As for needs -
something I can rely on not crash when I'm performing live
an old-fashioned MIDI interface (5-pinDIN)
reasonable sound quality (noise levels/frequency response/glitches etc.)
Phantom powered XLR mic inputs/Line jack inputs 2 inputs needed, those combined types as on the m-audios would do. High Z guitar input would be useful.
2 or 4 line outputs.
Headphone monitoring
That's about it really. It will be used with a laptop for live performance but I'd like enough features for modest home recording as well.

Thanks,

Jim

CHARLIE!

Post by CHARLIE! » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:45 pm

I just bought the Edirol FA 66 I have yet to get it but will report back when I do.

blackboab

Post by blackboab » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:06 pm

another +1 for the presonus firebox ... never had a single problem with it playing out with. Rock solid every time.