Depeche Mode-Sounds of the Universe

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jcwillia

Re: Depeche Mode-Sounds of the Universe

Post by jcwillia » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:18 am

does anyone else feel that gahan's voice just doesn't fit the music anymore?
Composition Name : JRock3x8
Soundcloud | Blog

serge_a_storms

Post by serge_a_storms » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:21 am

The only one I can think of that doesn't suit his voice is 'little soul'. I personally think it would sound better with just Martin Gore singing it.
MacBook Pro i7 16gb RAM, OSX 10.11.2, Live 9.7

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Instagram

7G

Post by 7G » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:42 am

astromass wrote:the think about depeche mode is that they release ok albums, but there are always 2 or 3 CLASSIC songs on each album that are always highly memorable.
Excactly...

1)Wrong
2)Come Back
3)In Chains

I'm on a "Wrong" remix as we speak :wink:

PhunkBeat

Post by PhunkBeat » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:30 pm

mkelly wrote:Got to agree with those who said the album was a grower - wasn't keen at first, but really enjoying it now. Though I notice I'm liking the Gahan-written songs a lot as well as the ones that sound more like his last solo album.
Cool Equipment Mkelly !!! The Sylenth and Virus Snow is one of my favourite ones !!! do you know Sonic-Academy.com ?
MacBook,Ableton Live 8, Fast Track Pro,Oxygene 8v2,Reason,Recycle

mkelly

Post by mkelly » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:38 pm

jcwillia wrote:does anyone else feel that gahan's voice just doesn't fit the music anymore?
Not particularly. I think it's all sounding pretty good together, though I agree with the other poster that Little Soul is not 100% good for Gahan, but to be honest I think it's a particularly weak song. Especially in contrast to Fragile Tension before it and In Sympathy after it - the chorus vocals on In Sympathy sound particularly good with the music to these ears.
PhunkBeat wrote:Cool Equipment Mkelly !!! The Sylenth and Virus Snow is one of my favourite ones !!! do you know Sonic-Academy.com ?
Cheers. I presume you mean sonicacademy.com - if so, I know of them but don't know them personally. I've been meaning to get involved with them but been too busy with my band and the day job of late.
Live 7, Logic Studio 8, Mac Pro 8-core/2.26/6GB, OS X 10.5.6, Saffire Pro 40, Alesis M1 Active 520s, Remote SL 37, Virus TI Snow, Nord Rack 2, Zebra 2, Sylenth1

dphouse84

Post by dphouse84 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:14 pm

dave999z wrote:music for the masses was a great album too.
i was wondering when someone was going to recognize.
this is my favorite album by them.
I enjoyed every track; both A and B side of the cassette tape :lol:
got the album last night and paged thru it.
i think it is going to be one that grows on you more as you listen to it.
overall i think the quality is better than their last few albums.

got my tickets for the Atlanta show yesterday along with Janes Addiction & NIN coming here in town this summer as well.

Janes Addiction + NIN + Depech Mode all in one summer; I feel like i am 15 all over again.
Stuff I actually use.
sound card, speakers, mic, MBP, Mighty Mouse, Ableton, Reason, iPad, iPhone,Touchable, Rebirth, & other apps.
Pair of Technics 1200's, and a Pioneer Mixer