export track automation from Logic to Ableton Live?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
p8guitar

export track automation from Logic to Ableton Live?

Post by p8guitar » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:15 pm

Is it possible to export track automation from Logic to Ableton Live? I tried "move track automation to region" in logic and exported that midi region to live, but the automation isn't there or isn't working (2xlevel of 2 Omnisphere patches).
Live 12.0.1; Push 2; Mac OS 12.7.4

erichzann

Re: export track automation from Logic to Ableton Live?

Post by erichzann » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:42 am

When you do that in logic, it converts the automation data to standard midi data. I haven't fooled with it enough to tell you what midi continuous controller numbers your automation will end up on if you convert it, but I do know it's CC#s you are converting to. So you have to figure out what CC# your automation corresponds to. Then look at the actual midi data in Live, not the automation. You may be able to just look at it and figure it out if the automation curves are pretty different. I haven't done this yet, I was going to do it and realized live's built-in instruments can not be controlled by midi in clips, you have to send the midi info in realtime, (at least in live 7) which I would love for ableton to change. If you are using omnisphere, this isn't problem for you though. I use Logic, Live, and I just got omnisphere. We should compare notes, I'd like to get better with the problem you are dealing with right now, since I only kind of know the first step. I hope that little bit of info was helpful, it should lead you in the right direction at least.

p8guitar

Post by p8guitar » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:40 pm

hi erichzann,

thanks for your detailed answer! when I look in the event list in Logic I see "fader" events instead of midi controller events. maybe the first step is already wrong... :(

Peter

erichzann

Post by erichzann » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:47 am

That's strange... As I indicated, I'm no expert at this, I never even did it, but I looked into it one afternoon a little. I don't see how you could be doing it "wrong" though, I'm mean if you are using the "move track automation data to region" command, that is what you should be doing. The manual has info on this on p. 600 I think, it is the last thing addressed in the "working with automation" section of Logics manual (at least in the hard copy, which I guess is no different from the pdf. It says it moves it to midi data... I think fader events are meta-events specifc to Logic...Right?