Define 'organic'

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Gab

Define 'organic'

Post by Gab » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:01 pm

Greetings fellow ableton users

I've recently began to listen to trance, especially goa (mainly Astral Projection, Hallucinogen for the moment) and, as I got interested in it, I read a bit of information on the sujbect on the Internet. One fairly common adjective used to characterize some elements in goa is 'organic'; and although I can make out its meaning I can hardly find words to precisely define it.

So, according to you, from a listener's and a producer's perspective, what is 'organic'?
'If they act too hip, you know they can’t play shit.'

Bonehead

Re: Define 'organic'

Post by Bonehead » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:07 pm

:mrgreen: Use of human organs during production? :lol:

smartass303

Post by smartass303 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:33 pm

ask chris organic. and listen to organic records... just kidding.
is he around anymore?

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:17 pm

organic music I would charactarize as having lots of movement, meaning lots of evolving sounds, and not too much monotony, as well as some softness. Many of the goa type evolving melodies I find they kind of grow out of the music like a branch from a tree.
KnobCloud - marketplace for audio software

Low Frequency Obstinator

Post by Low Frequency Obstinator » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:22 pm

...sampled water drops, monks chanting, flutes being put thru tape loops n shit....all that arpegiated 'gloopy' smooth stuff associated with the psy-type tunes made by (amongst others) yer man Simon Posford (Halucinogen, Shpongle, Younger Brother etc..)

Loads of you tube vids of him in the studio too.

Its very akin to the sound you hear when your tripping on LSD.

:D
Live (yoghurt) - MBP- Circuit Bent Rampant Rabbit - Mongolian Nose Flute - 'The Marvelous Mechanical Mouse Organ' (on loan from Bagpuss) and a Swanee Whistle made from a used heroin syringe.

Gab

Post by Gab » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:37 pm

Low Frequency Obstinator wrote:Its very akin to the sound you hear when your tripping on LSD.

:D
I knew I was missing something, thanks for pointing it out :lol:

And thanks for the answers so far!

Minimal Justice System

Post by Minimal Justice System » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:52 pm

I always believed the "organic" tag was used because of the lack of repitition within the sound as a whole, although some parts may sound similar in any given tune there are usually suble differences. I neve really liked Goa or Psy trance until a mate of mine let me hear Son Kite and the attraction became clear, they're wirth checking out if you haven't already done so!! :D
Live 7, Sony Vaio, limited talent, limited budget, limitless enthusiasm. :D
http://twitter.com/funkydoolah

tacvbo83

Post by tacvbo83 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:58 pm

Simple,

In order to define organic you must first be able to define..........define.
MBP 1.86 GHz, 2Gb RAM, Live 6, Logic Studio, Reason 4, Komplete 5, Melodyne, BFD, IK Studio Bundle etc etc

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:12 pm

Compared to modern psytrance production, the old-school 604 sounds more organic, or perhaps 'analog' is a better word. When I hear people refer to that style as 'organic', it usually makes me think of the tracks with hand drumming, or 'ethnic' instruments. A lot of Hallucinogen tracks have subtle organic percussion mixed in, which really became prevelant with the Shpongle project.

So, to me, 'organic' relates to non-synthesized instruments like hand drums, flutes, guitars, etc.

tw1nstates

Post by tw1nstates » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:55 pm

Minimal Justice System wrote:I always believed the "organic" tag was used because of the lack of repitition within the sound as a whole, although some parts may sound similar in any given tune there are usually suble differences. I neve really liked Goa or Psy trance until a mate of mine let me hear Son Kite and the attraction became clear, they're wirth checking out if you haven't already done so!! :D

Son Kite are also Minilogue, who are awesonme. If you haven't heard do a search for Minilogue live at panorama bar, it's a couple of years old now but still very good. .
I slipped into a daze, whilst I was there I heard the most startling music, it was at once familiar and alien, reassuring and unsettling.
https://soundcloud.com/fearoftherave

Gab

Post by Gab » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:10 pm

ethios4 wrote:So, to me, 'organic' relates to non-synthesized instruments like hand drums, flutes, guitars, etc.
Interesting. To me, the organic constituent of a track lies more in the fluidity of the articulation between the different parts of the track, bewteen layers inside the same part and inside the layers.

So, organic as flow and motion, as opposed to mechanical - note that the mechanical and the organic are not mutually exclusive and that one can set off the other.

beatpoet

Post by beatpoet » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:00 pm

Gab wrote:
ethios4 wrote:So, to me, 'organic' relates to non-synthesized instruments like hand drums, flutes, guitars, etc.
Interesting. To me, the organic constituent of a track lies more in the fluidity of the articulation between the different parts of the track, bewteen layers inside the same part and inside the layers.

So, organic as flow and motion, as opposed to mechanical - note that the mechanical and the organic are not mutually exclusive and that one can set off the other.
I'm with the fluidity changing description too, I would prob describe a soft flowing, evolving pad sound as organic.

Android Bishop

Post by Android Bishop » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:09 pm

music with a carbon backbone

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:45 pm

Gab wrote:So, according to you, from a listener's and a producer's perspective, what is 'organic'?
Subtle but constant changes in patterns and tones.

This is typical in forest trance, etc.

boom,
Loke

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:52 pm

Gab wrote:

Exactly. In a DAW composition scenario: It doesn't matter how organic the samples are, if they looped straight with no changes. IE its all about constant human interference. Whatever the source of the sound might be.